5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 1500 DT Hood Corrosion??

oe542bob

Reaction score
This corrosion is a big thing on the Grand Cherokee. On our 2018 the hood was replaced and painted all on FCA dime.

Pempster

Reaction score
Does anyone know if anyones had this corrosion issue on a Ram DT before? Any chance Dodge will make good on it or do I have to go spend a mortgage payment on a new fiberglass hood b/c they didnt paint it properly?
My truck is at the dealer now for corrosion warranty repair.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Dunno about Mopar but here's one I did find that has a built in ram air tunnel, fiberglass & resin blend:

That's God-awful ugly. Looks like they formed it from cardboard and then glassed over it.

stevieb92

Reaction score
It seem that FCA needs to hire some engineers that understand galvanic corrosion. The Wrangler JLs have this same corrosion on doors, hoods and tailgates. Mainly near the hinges which are different materials than the other body panels with no insulating barrier between. They are assembled bare and then painted.

I bought my 2020 Rubicon new in June 2020 and it was always garaged and never driven in snow or salt. It rarely was driven in the rain and still had this issue when I traded it on my Rebel GT. Nearly every Wrangler JL has it in some form. The corrosion warranty on the JL is 5 years and unlimited miles. It appears it is the same on the DT trucks.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It seem that FCA needs to hire some engineers that understand galvanic corrosion. The Wrangler JLs have this same corrosion on doors, hoods and tailgates. Mainly near the hinges which are different materials than the other body panels with no insulating barrier between. They are assembled bare and then painted.

I bought my 2020 Rubicon new in June 2020 and it was always garaged and never driven in snow or salt. It rarely was driven in the rain and still had this issue when I traded it on my Rebel GT. Nearly every Wrangler JL has it in some form. The corrosion warranty on the JL is 5 years and unlimited miles. It appears it is the same on the DT trucks.
Take a look at Ford Explorers. I've seen their hoods with corrosion, being new on dealers lots.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
What's funny is when all the Ford guys try to say how their trucks won't rust out because of aluminum bed. Cause they don't know that aluminum corrodes as well.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score

There is a TSB for this issue on the Wrangler. They have addressed this issue, unfortunately not until 2023 so there are many JL corrosion issues.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What's funny is when all the Ford guys try to say how their trucks won't rust out because of aluminum bed. Cause they don't know that aluminum corrodes as well.
It does, but I haven't seen a '15+ F150 with corrosion yet, have you?

stevieb92

Reaction score
There is a TSB for this issue on the Wrangler. They have addressed this issue, unfortunately not until 2023 so there are many JL corrosion issues.

I know about the TSB. My girlfriend bought her 2020 Sahara a month before I bought my Rubicon. She daily drives her Sahara and the corrosion is pretty bad since it's been in all sorts of weather conditions. The dealer is giving her the run around on getting it repaired. They talked about replacing all the doors, but will not blend the paint to the adjacent body panels. I've heard reports of new 2024 models with the same corrosion, so I'm not convinced they have truly solved it. From what I understand, they placed a zinc shim (sacrificial anode) between the hinge and body panel, but that still doesn't account for the fasteners contacting both pieces.

utlong31

Reaction score
I just noticed this on my 2022 this morning. So is this covered by warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just noticed this on my 2022 this morning. So is this covered by warranty?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Should be covered. You need to take in and then pictures need to be taken and authorized by the mother ship.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't own a Ford, and do t go around inspecting them. So no, I haven't, because I'm not looking
I don't either, but the Rams with rusted out wheel wells are pretty damn apparently as you drive around...

Many folks cover them up with those huge, gawdy fender flairs too... that's a dead giveaway...

Jedi9

Reaction score
Amusing, The Jks all had this issue, I thought they put a gasket between door and hinge in 2016 or so to stop it

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I don't either, but the Rams with rusted out wheel wells are pretty damn apparently as you drive around...

Many folks cover them up with those huge, gawdy fender flairs too... that's a dead giveaway...
Most of that is just lack of cleaning by the owner.

Jedi9

Reaction score
I'm afraid to put flares on mine. My '09 had them and I took them off to replace busted manifold studs and they were full of rust under the flares

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I'm afraid to put flares on mine. My '09 had them and I took them off to replace busted manifold studs and they were full of rust under the flares
Just wash your truck regularly and make sure to get up inside wheel wells where the rust tends to start.

Jedi9

Reaction score
I thought perhaps water got inside the flares and rusted from the outside in. It would be easy enough to keep the wheel wells clean

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I thought perhaps water got inside the flares and rusted from the outside in. It would be easy enough to keep the wheel wells clean
Usually it's from dirt/mud/salt(in winter) sitting in top of the lip for the wheel well openings here the screw for the flares are. The screws remove somebody the paint when installed, losing the protection.

Running through an automatic car wash doesn't get that area. A regular hand wash, that I see most people do, doesn't fet up there. Have to reach up under and turn the nozzle around. Doesnt hurt to remove the flares every now and then to clean behind them.

Users who are viewing this thread