5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
When the new Ram came out, I immediately sought to buy a Big Horn or Rebel - in Delmonico Red with the advanced safety features, 12" screen, 3.21 rear, and a night package (something not chromed-up, but with most internal comforts). A Rebel looked good to me, but they were not available in delmonico red, or with a 12" screen, safety package, or 3.21 rear. When the Rebel 12 came out, still no del red, safety features or higher highway mpg 3.21 rear. A 'night edition' (or something similar) was not available on any 2019 except Diamond Black. And the modern safety features were not available on any Big Horn. Befuddled, I finally stumbled on the Canada-only Sport trim, which was available with everything I wanted. But lo and behold, there was no way to Purchase a Canada Ram in the US (I tried Canada dealers, US border dealers, RAM NA and FCA... "no can do" was the answer everywhere. Even low mileage 'used' Canada Sports being sold in the US had warranty coverage issues. This was frustrating, since Montreal area dealers were just a stone's throw from Vermont. Alas, after a year of effort, I was relegated to wait for the 2020's to come-out, when the safety package might become available on Big Horns, and a new 'night package' was expected across the color spectrum. But then, the June super rebates hit, with +/- 30% price discounts available... so, I grabbed a fully optioned Laramie with the Sport appearance package, and decided I could easily modify it 'down' to the Canada Sport look I wanted (especially with the $20k I saved off the sticker). Attached are some pics of what I created. I call it the Ram 1500 Vermont Edition. I now have a truck with all the best luxuries and features available, but it looks ready to go on a fishing trip, vs just being a suburban boulevard cruiser. I basically only had to black-out the badges, paint the exhaust tips and running boards, and put on some 18" Mopar wheels with color-matched trim rings and A/T tires. I attached a 'before' pick as well. 20190728_141023.jpg 20190822_141117.jpg 20190822_143043.jpg 20190822_143117.jpg 20190822_141442.jpg 20190822_143127.jpg 20190822_142008.jpg

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Ah ha! Exactly right. I actually do make maple syrup, and Phish is loaded in my playlist, as is Super Troopers in my video life.

Farva, what’s the name of that restaurant with the goofy sht on the walls and the mozzarella sticks?

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I like what you've done here, and I'm not usually a fan of that kind of stuff. I think you did it all really tasteful. I could actually see a Ram coming off the line that way. Though there's one piece of the puzzle missing on your "Vermont" edition. When I get home I'll take a pic of my truck and post it up (hint: check out my avatar).

Seeing your truck, I kind of wish my mirrors were body color matched. I have the tow mirrors, which are just the black color. I wonder how much my local shop would charge me to spray my mirror backs? I had a plastic body molding strip repainted on my Titan for $72 and it was about the same amount of plastic as two mirrors, I'd say, and it was a specialized color (deepwater blue) that changes color in the light kind of like my Maximum Steel. I might just drive by there one day and get a price.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ok, here's what you need for your "Vermont Edition" - check out my hitch:
full

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Ok, here's what you need for your "Vermont Edition" - check out my hitch:
full

Jd... nice hitch. Cool. I actually DO have a good Vermont hitch... it’s a rubber moose head, that goes on the ball. But I don’t always leave the ball in because my shins can’t take the abuse when I walk around the back of the truck and don’t pay attention.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
I like what you've done here, and I'm not usually a fan of that kind of stuff. I think you did it all really tasteful. I could actually see a Ram coming off the line that way. Though there's one piece of the puzzle missing on your "Vermont" edition. When I get home I'll take a pic of my truck and post it up (hint: check out my avatar).

Seeing your truck, I kind of wish my mirrors were body color matched. I have the tow mirrors, which are just the black color. I wonder how much my local shop would charge me to spray my mirror backs? I had a plastic body molding strip repainted on my Titan for $72 and it was about the same amount of plastic as two mirrors, I'd say, and it was a specialized color (deepwater blue) that changes color in the light kind of like my Maximum Steel. I might just drive by there one day and get a price.
Re: painting

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Re: painting
Re: painting... doesn’t seem like anything happens for $72 these days. I asked my dealer for a price on painting the wheel trim rings. $600 he wanted. So I ordered the Delmonico Red paint myself, in spray cans (2), with two cans of clear coat (total $60) and did the painting myself. It was a pain, but worth it. 4 coats of paint, 3 coats of clear coat, plus the sanding, cleaning, etc. By the time I was done, I could see why the dealer might charge $600.

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Jd... nice hitch. Cool. I actually DO have a good Vermont hitch... it’s a rubber moose head, that goes on the ball. But I don’t always leave the ball in because my shins can’t take the abuse when I walk around the back of the truck and don’t pay attention.

That's what I like about the hitch cover; it sits virtually flush with the hitch so when I'm not using it I just store the ball and receiver in the truck. I have a locking hitch pin so no knucklehead can make off with it. Keeps the dirt and junk out of the hitch and I like it besides :)

jdmartin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Re: painting... doesn’t seem like anything happens for $72 these days. I asked my dealer for a price on painting the wheel trim rings. $600 he wanted. So I ordered the Delmonico Red paint myself, in spray cans (2), with two cans of clear coat (total $60) and did the painting myself. It was a pain, but worth it. 4 coats of paint, 3 coats of clear coat, plus the sanding, cleaning, etc. By the time I was done, I could see why the dealer might charge $600.
Problem for me is that it would take me forever these days to get them painted; I'd want to pull them if I was painting so I wouldn't have over spray everywhere, which means I'd be driving around with no mirrors for probably 2 months :D . I got that trim piece painted maybe 2 years ago so maybe it wouldn't kill my budget. One day when I think of it I'll swing by and ask them, see how much on and off the truck.

HotHareSpey

Reaction score
Ahhhh the north country! Takes grit to live in Vermont - I applaud you!

Gmoosevt

Reaction score
Ah ha... cool plate video. And yes, the only real men left in this ‘gone soft’ USA are the green mountain men of Vermont. And, we are smart enough to drive 5th gen RAMs that actually work and haul us over the dirt roads through the mountains, snow roads in the dead of winter, and **** roads in the middle of mud season.

Users who are viewing this thread