5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram stalling at same intersection

cottez43

Reaction score
Super strange, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie, V6 - and it has stalled 3 times at the same intersection. The truck is running, I hit the gas and nothing happens. It’s super dangerous, anybody else have this happen? There seems to be a recall on newer Rams with a Hemi, but nothing on my model year. I talked to dealer and they diagnosed a steering wheel wiring harness. I just don’t believe that is the issue.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Super strange, I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie, V6 - and it has stalled 3 times at the same intersection. The truck is running, I hit the gas and nothing happens. It’s super dangerous, anybody else have this happen? There seems to be a recall on newer Rams with a Hemi, but nothing on my model year. I talked to dealer and they diagnosed a steering wheel wiring harness. I just don’t believe that is the issue.
Anything particularly strange about that intersection? Like, is there a massive radio tower there? Something along those lines that could cause insane amounts of electrical interference?

23RAM

Reaction score
Happening at the same location is very odd.
Is it really stalling when you hit the gas - the engine shuts off? Or just not revving up and moving?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
Please define what you mean by stalling.

When I hit my gas at some spots my truck does nothing for 1-2 seconds then it revs the engine and goes. It's "normal" as far as Ram is concerned.

I know some people have had faulty gas pedals and replaced them and is works great or so they say.
I think it's around $150, I don't have the part number.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score

When I hit my gas at some spots my truck does nothing for 1-2 seconds then it revs the engine and goes. It's "normal" as far as Ram is concerned.

I know some people have had faulty gas pedals and replaced them and is works great or so they say.
yeah agreed...I know it's different because my Rebel did not behave this way. coming to a stop so sort of light brake rolling...light turns green before I stop and it takes a couple seconds for the truck to go. I have learned to manage it but always takes the wind out of my sails when it happens...I do miss the peppyness of the Rebel I had.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
yeah agreed...I know it's different because my Rebel did not behave this way. coming to a stop so sort of light brake rolling...light turns green before I stop and it takes a couple seconds for the truck to go. I have learned to manage it but always takes the wind out of my sails when it happens...I do miss the peppyness of the Rebel I had.
I really don't get it.
Never drive a car or truck like that, and i'm pretty sure I have other drive by wire vehicles. I know my 13 Acadia has fake steering, the feedback on the wheel is so weird and funny, vibrates the same going 5 mph to 80 mph on smooth or rocky roads because it's a fake vibration produced by the suv.

But when I hit the gas it goes, well increases the RPMs increase and tries to go. It's heavy and a v6, but still goes quicker from stops then my Ram unexpectedly :(

I wonder if I should bite the bullet and just replace the peddle.
Already tuned the truck and spent like $300 on A Sprint Booster

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I really don't get it.
Never drive a car or truck like that, and i'm pretty sure I have other drive by wire vehicles. I know my 13 Acadia has fake steering, the feedback on the wheel is so weird and funny, vibrates the same going 5 mph to 80 mph on smooth or rocky roads because it's a fake vibration produced by the suv.

But when I hit the gas it goes, well increases the RPMs increase and tries to go. It's heavy and a v6, but still goes quicker from stops then my Ram unexpectedly :(

I wonder if I should bite the bullet and just replace the peddle.
Already tuned the truck and spent like $300 on A Sprint Booster
Mine does it too, except when I had my Pulsar installed. It's out for warranty work. Can't wait to get it back in. I agree, never had a vehicle do that before.

23RAM

Reaction score
A couple of seconds? Mine only pauses briefly to shift from 4th down to 1st and takes right off. I wonder if it's related to learning how you drive.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's just "normal" operation of the trans. You go from slowing down to trying to accelerate and it's trying to hunt for the right gear. My Ram Promaster City work van does the same thing. Either come to a complete stop, or use the gear limiter to manually downshift as you are coming up to the intersection. Only way to avoid it

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's just "normal" operation of the trans. You go from slowing down to trying to accelerate and it's trying to hunt for the right gear. My Ram Promaster City work van does the same thing. Either come to a complete stop, or use the gear limiter to manually downshift as you are coming up to the intersection. Only way to avoid it
Nope it's not that, at least for me.
Since I can shift manually I have kept it in gear 2 and it does the same thing. I can keep in gear 2 the entire time and not change but there is still a delay.
It's not the trans.

cottez43

Reaction score
Is it an uphill light?
Nope, it’s flat. The truck is running, I hit the gas, and literally nothing happens. One time I shut the entire vehicle off, turned it back on and then it would go. The last time I pumped the gas pedal and then it would sluggishly go, after I got through the intersection it was fine the rest of my drive (and has been since). 2 times happening at the same intersection is a coincidence, 3 times and there is something else going on. Again it has never happened anywhere else. Now this intersection is close to my house, so it may be something with the engine being cold, that is a possibility that I need to consider and test.

cottez43

Reaction score

Yes I should have explained better. The truck is running, I am at a stop sign (flat section of road), when traffic clears I hit the gas and nothing happens. The truck is still running, the RPMs don’t move, it’s as if the truck is not recognizing that I’m even touching the gas pedal. The first time this happened, I was freaked out so I shut the truck off, started it, and it was fine. That was about 2 years ago and didn’t happen again until probably 6 months ago. At that point I was just surprised it was the same intersection and that didn’t make sense. I took it to the dealership and they’re telling me it’s a wiring harness. It didn’t sound right to me and I wasn’t about to pay $600 for them to “fix” a wiring harness and the real issue wasn’t fixed. So I decided to leave and do some research before paying that. A week after I left the dealership it happened again, this time I pumped the gas pedal until it finally, sluggishly got into gear - the rest of that drive I had zero issues. Each occurrence happened at the same exact intersection and has never happened elsewhere. This intersection is close to my house so there is a chance it has something to do with the engine being cold. But it has never happened at the end of my road which would be the first intersection I go through, it’s always at the second intersection down the road from me.

cottez43

Reaction score
Happening at the same location is very odd.
Is it really stalling when you hit the gas - the engine shuts off? Or just not revving up and moving?
Just not revving up and moving. The truck is running. This is the second intersection when leaving my house so there is a chance that a cold engine is part of the diagnosis, but it’s never happened elsewhere and I’ve had plenty of times where I’ve just started the vehicle and took off with nothing happening. There is a recall out on new Rams that sounds almost identical to what I am experiencing but that recall has not been on my truck or engine type.

“A recall affects 131,700 examples of the 2021 Ram 1500 with the 5.7-liter eTorque V8 engine. An overly rich fuel mixture can cause the engine to stall under certain conditions. A software update solves the problem Specifically, the affected Rams have production dates from June 3, 2020, to September 12, 2021.”

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just not revving up and moving. The truck is running. This is the second intersection when leaving my house so there is a chance that a cold engine is part of the diagnosis, but it’s never happened elsewhere and I’ve had plenty of times where I’ve just started the vehicle and took off with nothing happening. There is a recall out on new Rams that sounds almost identical to what I am experiencing but that recall has not been on my truck or engine type.

“A recall affects 131,700 examples of the 2021 Ram 1500 with the 5.7-liter eTorque V8 engine. An overly rich fuel mixture can cause the engine to stall under certain conditions. A software update solves the problem Specifically, the affected Rams have production dates from June 3, 2020, to September 12, 2021.”
Stalling would mean the engine stumbles or dies. You are saying it's as if the transmission just isn't going into gear. Different things

23RAM

Reaction score
Just not revving up and moving. The truck is running. This is the second intersection when leaving my house so there is a chance that a cold engine is part of the diagnosis, but it’s never happened elsewhere and I’ve had plenty of times where I’ve just started the vehicle and took off with nothing happening.
That sounds the opposite of my cold engine operation - mine revs a little higher and wants to take off without touching the gas pedal. This is simply due to a higher idle and richness level when cold. I don't typically drive the truck when it's completely cold, except to swap vehicles in the driveway. I let it warm up for a minute even on hot summer days because the engine is still very cold compared to the normal operating temp. Once it warms up a bit, and idle comes down a bit, I can drive off and no issues at all.

If the engine is not revving up when you press the gas pedal, then it's an engine software problem related to the throttle control.
There is a recall out on new Rams that sounds almost identical to what I am experiencing but that recall has not been on my truck or engine type.
Yeah that recall is for engines that stall out due to richness level...probably not the same as your engine is running. It sounds like it would be a difficult problem to diagnose without the ECU throwing a code and lighting up the check engine light.

Edit: just re-read your earlier post that it only happens at the one intersection, never anywhere else. If that's correct, then try hitting the intersection with a fully warmed up truck on your way back home, turn around and hit that intersection in the same way, same lane, same position, same red light. If it exhibits the same behaviour, turn around 3-4 more times and do it again. If it repeats every time, then I'd consider RFI/EMI as a possible cause.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread