5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram stalling at same intersection

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
The truck is running, I am at a stop sign (flat section of road), when traffic clears I hit the gas and nothing happens. The truck is still running, the RPMs don’t move, it’s as if the truck is not recognizing that I’m even touching the gas pedal.
This 100% sounds like a faulty pedal.
We have electric pedals in these trucks that send signals

I think these are the part numbers but maybe someone can confirm
68267286AB
68497848AA

To be clear your truck is not stalling out.
You have a failure of communication between your pedal and your ECM of some sort.

Maybe try re-connecting your pedal and testing the same spot in the morning.
I recommend opening your door for 10 minutes and keeping the keys away while you do it (after it sits for 10 minutes)

cottez43

Reaction score
Stalling would mean the engine stumbles or dies. You are saying it's as if the transmission just isn't going into gear. Different things
That may be so, I’m not a car guy by any means - just trying to see if anyone else has ever had it happen. If it is transmission related, could a wiring harness conceivably be at fault?

cottez43

Reaction score
This 100% sounds like a faulty pedal.
We have electric pedals in these trucks that send signals

I think these are the part numbers but maybe someone can confirm
68267286AB
68497848AA

To be clear your truck is not stalling out.
You have a failure of communication between your pedal and your ECM of some sort.

Maybe try re-connecting your pedal and testing the same spot in the morning.
I recommend opening your door for 10 minutes and keeping the keys away while you do it (after it sits for 10 minutes)
Thank you for the advice, I’ll look into that and see what happens.

Trippi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thank you for the advice, I’ll look into that and see what happens.

Can you go in the opposite direction and just stop in/on side of the road about the same distance as you would normally hit the intersection and see if you get the same issue? That would help test your distance theory...if no 'stall' there then we are back to possible gremlins at the intersection.

kdoublep

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nope, it’s flat. The truck is running, I hit the gas, and literally nothing happens. One time I shut the entire vehicle off, turned it back on and then it would go. The last time I pumped the gas pedal and then it would sluggishly go, after I got through the intersection it was fine the rest of my drive (and has been since). 2 times happening at the same intersection is a coincidence, 3 times and there is something else going on. Again it has never happened anywhere else. Now this intersection is close to my house, so it may be something with the engine being cold, that is a possibility that I need to consider and test.
CHYYNA!

cottez43

Reaction score
Anything particularly strange about that intersection? Like, is there a massive radio tower there? Something along those lines that could cause insane amounts of electrical interference?
No it’s very rural, as in its far more of a dead-zone for cell coverage than anything.

cottez43

Reaction score
That sounds the opposite of my cold engine operation - mine revs a little higher and wants to take off without touching the gas pedal. This is simply due to a higher idle and richness level when cold. I don't typically drive the truck when it's completely cold, except to swap vehicles in the driveway. I let it warm up for a minute even on hot summer days because the engine is still very cold compared to the normal operating temp. Once it warms up a bit, and idle comes down a bit, I can drive off and no issues at all.

If the engine is not revving up when you press the gas pedal, then it's an engine software problem related to the throttle control.

Yeah that recall is for engines that stall out due to richness level...probably not the same as your engine is running. It sounds like it would be a difficult problem to diagnose without the ECU throwing a code and lighting up the check engine light.

Edit: just re-read your earlier post that it only happens at the one intersection, never anywhere else. If that's correct, then try hitting the intersection with a fully warmed up truck on your way back home, turn around and hit that intersection in the same way, same lane, same position, same red light. If it exhibits the same behaviour, turn around 3-4 more times and do it again. If it repeats every time, then I'd consider RFI/EMI as a possible cause.
I will try that today, that’s a good idea.

cottez43

Reaction score
Can you go in the opposite direction and just stop in/on side of the road about the same distance as you would normally hit the intersection and see if you get the same issue? That would help test your distance theory...if no 'stall' there then we are back to possible gremlins at the intersection.
I can try that too. The cold engine “distance theory” could be something, but my road is a dead end cultisac with 8 houses, and a stop sign that I need to turn onto a far busier road. The fact that this has never happened there, yet consistently happens a quarter mile down at the following intersection just really boggles the mind. But yes I’ll go the other way and just stop as if there was an intersection a quarter mile down the opposite direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online