5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel

Big Z

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I’m looking for some advice. I was driving my truck (2019 Ram Rebel 12) yesterday and the AC went out on me and began only blowing hot air. By last night the air was barely blowing from it on the seventh setting. I inspected the under carriage to see if there were any fluids leaking, and there are not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’ve never fixed AC myself but I would like to try. I’ve only ever changed my brakes and oil.

Jake819

Reaction score
I'd make sure the compressor is cycling first. Usually its a audible click/clunk whatever you want to call it. you will hear at the compressor. If its not or its cycling very quick could be low or no freon. After I would get a black light and yellow glasses, can get at harbor freight dosen't need to be fancy. Most A/c oil put in the compressor has dye. It will show up as neon green. You will probably not see a freeon leak with the naked eye. I would start there first. You could also use some gauges to gauge the pressure on the high and low side.

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to disparage Jake’s advice, but you need to have a certain level of understanding of how A/C system work before attempting to work on them. It’s not like changing your oil or spark plugs. There are tons of videos online explaining how to work on A/C systems. I advise you to do some research online before you attempt this repair yourself. It’s easy to damage the system if you don’t know what you‘re doing. At a minimum you want to have a good set of gauges and a vacuum pump as far as tools go. And you never want to just add refrigerant without knowing how much is in there.

Jake819

Reaction score
Not to disparage Jake’s advice, but you need to have a certain level of understanding of how A/C system work before attempting to work on them. It’s not like changing your oil or spark plugs. There are tons of videos online explaining how to work on A/C systems. I advise you to do some research online before you attempt this repair yourself. It’s easy to damage the system if you don’t know what you‘re doing. At a minimum you want to have a good set of gauges and a vacuum pump as far as tools go. And you never want to just add refrigerant without knowing how much is in there.
Thanks for the add on I should have said that instead of assuming he knew what I was refering too.

Big Z

Reaction score
Thank for your advice everyone. Side note please post the most reliable, easy to install and affordable starter here.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It could be a cheap simple fix, or expensive of course, smartest thing to do is get it to a good independent shop that is well rated and knows what they are doing (check local yelp for shops with a lot of positive reviews). Then call them and ask for a quote, it's probably going to be cheaper and easier than trying to figure it out yourself.

Big Z

Reaction score
I took my truck into a local mechanic shop with good reviews (military - no time - always move). After reviewing the truck the business owner said that it needs an A/C compressor and condenser and would run me $2,100. With install. He also said that i may have only a few days before it completely blows out and I’ll likely be unable to drive my vehicle. I included some videos along with his quote. Is it a fair quote ? Is it possible to only need the compressor ? If so how could I tell if I needed both ? All advice is greatly appreciated as I don’t want to continue driving if it’s unsafe. The video won’t post but it’s what you can imagine a compressor sounding like when it’s ready to go . Very loud

Attachments

• IMG_3103.jpeg
    IMG_3103.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3104.jpeg
    IMG_3104.jpeg
    65.1 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3105.jpeg
    IMG_3105.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_3101.jpeg
    IMG_3101.jpeg
    100.4 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3102.jpeg
    IMG_3102.jpeg
    119.8 KB · Views: 10

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I took my truck into a local mechanic shop with good reviews (military - no time - always move). After reviewing the truck the business owner said that it needs an A/C compressor and condenser and would run me $2,100. With install. He also said that i may have only a few days before it completely blows out and I’ll likely be unable to drive my vehicle. I included some videos along with his quote. Is it a fair quote ? Is it possible to only need the compressor ? If so how could I tell if I needed both ? All advice is greatly appreciated as I don’t want to continue driving if it’s unsafe. The video won’t post but it’s what you can imagine a compressor sounding like when it’s ready to go . Very loud

Seems pricey, but I haven't needed one of these in a modern car yet. I would get another quote just to be sure, check another good shop and don't tell them about your previous quote, see if it matches.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Seems about $800-$1000 more than it should be to me. In checking Mopar parts prices on BAM, It looks like the compressor is $400 and condenser is $333. Incidentals like o-rings and seals might be $50. Referigerant should be less than $20. They aren't as likely to use Mopar parts so the parts cost will likely be less. So it sounds like they are planning to charge in the ballpark of $1300 for labor. Ouch! I'd probably try to find another reputable shop to see if you can find a better price if you aren't able to do the work yourself.

Edit: Just looked at your attachments. They are gouging you on parts and supplies with those prices. I don't have mine available to check right now, but do these trucks use R1234 or R134a referigerant? R1234 is very expensive in comparison to R134a. So I am likely off on that with my estimate. But the parts cost I listed came straight from a Mopar website.

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you can I would get 2 more quotes from reputable shops and see who is in your price range and if the other shops have different quotes or same across the board

Users who are viewing this thread