5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel

Big Z

Reaction score
Good Morning All,

I’m looking for some advice. I was driving my truck (2019 Ram Rebel 12) yesterday and the AC went out on me and began only blowing hot air. By last night the air was barely blowing from it on the seventh setting. I inspected the under carriage to see if there were any fluids leaking, and there are not. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I’ve never fixed AC myself but I would like to try. I’ve only ever changed my brakes and oil.

Jake819

Reaction score
I'd make sure the compressor is cycling first. Usually its a audible click/clunk whatever you want to call it. you will hear at the compressor. If its not or its cycling very quick could be low or no freon. After I would get a black light and yellow glasses, can get at harbor freight dosen't need to be fancy. Most A/c oil put in the compressor has dye. It will show up as neon green. You will probably not see a freeon leak with the naked eye. I would start there first. You could also use some gauges to gauge the pressure on the high and low side.

Last edited:

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Not to disparage Jake’s advice, but you need to have a certain level of understanding of how A/C system work before attempting to work on them. It’s not like changing your oil or spark plugs. There are tons of videos online explaining how to work on A/C systems. I advise you to do some research online before you attempt this repair yourself. It’s easy to damage the system if you don’t know what you‘re doing. At a minimum you want to have a good set of gauges and a vacuum pump as far as tools go. And you never want to just add refrigerant without knowing how much is in there.

Jake819

Reaction score
Not to disparage Jake’s advice, but you need to have a certain level of understanding of how A/C system work before attempting to work on them. It’s not like changing your oil or spark plugs. There are tons of videos online explaining how to work on A/C systems. I advise you to do some research online before you attempt this repair yourself. It’s easy to damage the system if you don’t know what you‘re doing. At a minimum you want to have a good set of gauges and a vacuum pump as far as tools go. And you never want to just add refrigerant without knowing how much is in there.
Thanks for the add on I should have said that instead of assuming he knew what I was refering too.

Users who are viewing this thread