5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel Wheels/Tires on Limited

Bob0627

Reaction score
Just want to be sure that 2019 Ram Rebel Wheels/Tires (6/137.9 lugs) fit on 2019 Ram Limited (6/137.9 lugs)

E4Baerospace

Reaction score
You must be thinking what I'm thinking.. I want to get rid of those 22" Street Tires.

jdl440

Reaction score
I'd love to see what a limited with Rebel wheels looks like and what a Rebel with the Limited 22's looks like. :)

gleitzj

Reaction score
I am also curious if anyone has done this with success? I called several dealers and they told me I should not try putting 2019 Rebel wheels & tires on my 2019 Limited which currently has 22s.

1.They said there isn't a safe amount of clearance for the calipers
2. They said the Rebel Tire 275/70R18 is 1" larger in diameter than my current 285/45R22's, so my speedometer would be off by several mph and you can't re-calibrate it
3. They also said my alignment would need to be redone even if I could get them to fit.

spaightlabs

Reaction score
I am also curious if anyone has done this with success? I called several dealers and they told me I should not try putting 2019 Rebel wheels & tires on my 2019 Limited which currently has 22s.

1.They said there isn't a safe amount of clearance for the calipers
2. They said the Rebel Tire 275/70R18 is 1" larger in diameter than my current 285/45R22's, so my speedometer would be off by several mph and you can't re-calibrate it
3. They also said my alignment would need to be redone even if I could get them to fit.

1) maybe but that sounds fishy AF.
2) speedo will be off by a couple percent which is several miles per hour at 150-200 mph, or about 1.5mph @ 70 It can be recalibrated.
3) alignments are cheap.

Apexcars

Reaction score
Caliper size is the same on all the 1500’s.

You can have it recalibrated.

I don’t see why an alignment would be needed, you aren’t changing suspension components.

Best advice, find another dealer.

JHRebel

Reaction score
Caliper size is the same on all the 1500’s.

You can have it recalibrated.

I don’t see why an alignment would be needed, you aren’t changing suspension components.

Best advice, find another dealer.
This

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Lots of parts, including the front spindles, have different part numbers for 22" tires. There are 2WD and 4WD suspension parts, coil and air suspension parts, regular, Off-Road Group, and Rebel parts. I was pretty surprised to see special numbers for 22" wheels. Marketing must have made quite a racket to get those wheels to the dealers. Separate parts for that small and relatively low take rate a feature are expensive.

The 18" wheels are a very tight fit to the brake caliper. It is quite possible the wheels won't clear it. I just did a quick test on the Black Rhino website, and for the Rebel, it only specs 20" replacement wheels.

My question is: why Rebel wheels? My not Method (used on the TRX), Black Rhino, etc. Far more options, IMHO better styling, and less expensive to boot.

BTW, to the OE wheels have a load rating on them?

gleitzj

Reaction score
Lots of parts, including the front spindles, have different part numbers for 22" tires. There are 2WD and 4WD suspension parts, coil and air suspension parts, regular, Off-Road Group, and Rebel parts. I was pretty surprised to see special numbers for 22" wheels. Marketing must have made quite a racket to get those wheels to the dealers. Separate parts for that small and relatively low take rate a feature are expensive.

The 18" wheels are a very tight fit to the brake caliper. It is quite possible the wheels won't clear it. I just did a quick test on the Black Rhino website, and for the Rebel, it only specs 20" replacement wheels.

My question is: why Rebel wheels? My not Method (used on the TRX), Black Rhino, etc. Far more options, IMHO better styling, and less expensive to boot.

BTW, to the OE wheels have a load rating on them?
It wouldnt have to be rebel wheels. I just thought my 22s with the stock eagle touring tires wouldn't be ideal for western mountain minimum maintenance roads this fall. Would you just get different tires for the 22s or 20s with a different tire?

DavidNJ

Reaction score
It wouldnt have to be rebel wheels. I just thought my 22s with the stock eagle touring tires wouldn't be ideal for western mountain minimum maintenance roads this fall. Would you just get different tires for the 22s or 20s with a different tire?

How minimum maintenance and what did they consider the surface to be? What is your budget and is this a fun mod? What suspension do you have? I'm guessing not the ORG, do you have air suspension? If it just a dirt road that everyone travels in a passenger car you probably don't 'need' to do everything. If it looks like something usually run by logging trucks, maybe some more puncture resistance and lower air pressure are a good idea (just started a thread on in Off-Road on that topic).

So what do the roads look like and what is your budget?

34296 34297 34298

gleitzj

Reaction score
How minimum maintenance and what did they consider the surface to be? What is your budget and is this a fun mod? What suspension do you have? I'm guessing not the ORG, do you have air suspension? If it just a dirt road that everyone travels in a passenger car you probably don't 'need' to do everything. If it looks like something usually run by logging trucks, maybe some more puncture resistance and lower air pressure are a good idea (just started a thread on in Off-Road on that topic).

So what do the roads look like and what is your budget?

View attachment 34296 View attachment 34297 View attachment 34298
We've run into similar washed out roads like your bottom 2 pictures and it would be nice to be able to get through that type of terrain. It only represents less than 1% of my total driving though. We spend 40 hours round trip on the highway getting to and from the mountains, so I don't want to get carried away with off road upgrades. I have air suspension and would like to just bolt on rims/tires that i could use in the fall hunting and for winter.

DavidNJ

Reaction score
Wheels and tires will run about $500/$700 per wheel. Are you 20" or 22" now? If 20" you may be able to use 18" wheels which would allow more tire sidewall to absorb stuff, especially if aired down (see video posed here: https://5thgenrams.com/community/threads/airing-down-tires.13184/)

To fit the OE wheel wells without any rubbing issues an LT275/60-20 on 20x9 +18 to +12 offset wheels would work. Method Race Wheels are used on the TRX, Black Rhino is a division of TSW. 18" wheels would be a better choice if they fit. As the video in the earlier link showed, LT tires are less subject to punctures and with their higher load capacity.

There have been discussions on wide vs. narrow. The attached article, Tire Selection for Expedition Travel: The impact of tire width on traction by Scott Brady is widely cited. This post shows some of that (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre...524-off-roading-tires-wide-narrow-better.html) as does this video:

Attachments

• Tire selection Fat x Thin.pdf
    501.2 KB · Views: 19

Users who are viewing this thread