5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel highway MPG test

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
2019-Rebel-4-of-50.jpg

2019 Ram Rebel (5thGenRams)

We currently have a 2019 Ram Rebel for a week to review and thought what better way to kick it off than doing a highway MPG test. Our friends over at TFLTruck have run 3 highway MPG tests on their own 2019 Ram Rebel and have been disappointed in the number each time, so when we picked this truck up we contacted them and both wanted to share information and results back and forth. We modeled our test after theirs to try and keep some continuity in the results.

The trucks are fairly similarly equipped, although they have the 5.7 Hemi with eTorque while our test truck is the standard 5.7 Hemi, but, we have 2 advantages. Firstly this test was done near my home in Vancouver, B.C at sea level while they are at elevation and our truck has the optional air suspension which means it lowers itself at highway speed for better aerodynamics while their truck has the coil suspension and fixed ride height. We modeled our test similarly picking a gas station as close to the highway as possible, using a chevron that is about 1km or half a mile from the highway entrance.

Ram Rebel MPG

We started out by filling the truck up, waiting 30 seconds after the pump shut off and filling it until it clicked again, reset the trip meter, fired the truck up and then headed for the highway. We did this test in midday to try and beat rush hour, but these days in Vancouver it’s rush hour almost any time during the day. We wanted to keep a constant 70 MPH (113KM/H) and were able to for the majority of the trip other than some stop and go traffic on the highway and dealing with a construction zone each way. This stretch of highway while mostly flat does have a few hilly sections as well which of course would affect MPG. We put the truck in aero mode which it would do itself at highway speed anyways, and with an ambient temperature was 28 degrees celsius (82 degrees F) we had the air conditioning running the whole time.

Ram Rebel MPG

The total distance for our trip was 170.7km (106.68 miles) by the time that we returned to the same Chevron station. We used the same pump and filled up again using the 2 click method, where the truck took 20.605 liters of gas. The trip computer was showing 12.7 Liters per 100 km (18.5 MPG) but hand calculations showed that we actually did better than the trip computer displayed. Upon hand calculating the numbers, we averaged 12.07 Liters per 100km or 19.49 MPG. The best that our friends at TFLTruck have been able to get out of their truck so far was 17.9 MPG, I have talked to Andre and they have an article coming about our test compared to theirs shortly so make sure to look for that.

Overall I am pleased with that result, the window sticker shows 11 liters per 100km on the highway and I think that if this was a clean run (no stop and go traffic, construction zones, etc) we would have achieved that number. Stay tuned to 5thGenRams for our full review of this 2019 Ram Rebel next week and of course, we would like to thank FCA Canada for providing us with this vehicle for a week.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting, Jared. I appreciate your thoughtful approach. I wonder if Andre might bring his truck to run your loop, and vice-versa, your truck in Colorado on their loop. Might be an interesting addition for the upcoming article.

greg_nc

Reaction score
I’m curious about tire pressures. From the dealer mine were around 60 all around and now I’m at 55/45.

Neokane

Reaction score
Wow, I wish I could get almost 19 mpg.
I'm almost up to 15 average.
5.7 crew cab with air ride.

Jared B

Site admin
Staff member
Reaction score
d thought what better way to kick it off than doing a highway MPG test. Our friends over at TFLTruck have run 3 highway MPG tests on their own 2019 Ram Rebel and have been disappointed in the number each time, so when we picked this truck up we contacted them and both wanted to share information and results back and forth. We modeled our test afte
I’m curious about tire pressures. From the dealer mine were around 60 all around and now I’m at 55/45.

I dropped the truck off yesterday and took a look at the tire pressure screen on my way in. The pressures were 55 front and 50 rear.

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I lowered mine a bit 52F/43R. I just did 205km drive with mine(80% Hwy/20% city) with speed up to 110km/h(68 MPH) and EVIC was 12.6/100KM and hand calculated was 12.4/100KM so pretty close to yours. I don't have the air suspension so I am quite happy with my mileage. Have almost 4000km on mine.

Users who are viewing this thread