5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Rebel front suspension "clunking" noises

spneighbors

Reaction score
A year ago I took my 2019 Ram Rebel to the local dealership to figure out what was causing a "clunking" noise at slow speeds over light terrain just prior to my warranty expiring. They diagnosed the issue quickly as needing new Link Kits (stabilizer bars & bushings) which did take care of the issue. A little over a year later... the same issue has returned and while the dealership originally agreed to re-address it under warranty due to the issue re-occuring with 15 months. Turns out, the "fix" for this issue has now changed along with new parts and now RAM wants me to pay over $1,000 for the new parts plus labor charges to rectify the same issue that they previously fixed under warranty?! I know this issue is prevalent and so I'm wondering how it has not turned into a RAM recall so that the obvious issue can be rectified once and for all. Anyone else have better luck than I have had?? Thanks!

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
What are they saying you need 15 months after the initial repair?

Supercraig1

Reaction score
A year ago I took my 2019 Ram Rebel to the local dealership to figure out what was causing a "clunking" noise at slow speeds over light terrain just prior to my warranty expiring. They diagnosed the issue quickly as needing new Link Kits (stabilizer bars & bushings) which did take care of the issue. A little over a year later... the same issue has returned and while the dealership originally agreed to re-address it under warranty due to the issue re-occuring with 15 months. Turns out, the "fix" for this issue has now changed along with new parts and now RAM wants me to pay over $1,000 for the new parts plus labor charges to rectify the same issue that they previously fixed under warranty?! I know this issue is prevalent and so I'm wondering how it has not turned into a RAM recall so that the obvious issue can be rectified once and for all. Anyone else have better luck than I have had?? Thanks!
I'm having the same front end noise in my 19 Rebel. Dealer replaced swaybar and end links but did not fix issue at all. They gave up

raygun9

Reaction score
Is the clunking only when turning the wheel or when your driving straight also.. and what is the 1k repair?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

LaxDfns15

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Check your upper control arms. I had a boot torn due to lifting the front and it was clunking. Put in new UCA's and no more clunking.

Supercraig1

Reaction score
Is the clunking only when turning the wheel or when your driving straight also.. and what is the 1k repair?

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

When going straight or turning. Also doesn’t matter if brakes are being applied or not. Does it in 4wd and 2wd. Does it at all ride heights.

The “1k repair” is for oem lower control arm. One shop I brought it to said there was a bit of play in lower ball joint. The problem there was they wouldn’t work with my extended warranty. Every other shop (dealer and independent) has said they don’t see ball joint play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mopar_maxi

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Replace the end links yourself and get a set of 36mm polyurethane sway bar bushings.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The “1k repair” is for oem lower control arm. One shop I brought it to said there was a bit of play in lower ball joint. The problem there was they wouldn’t work with my extended warranty. Every other shop (dealer and independent) has said they don’t see ball joint play.
The dealer won't work with the extended warranty? If you have an extended warranty how are you paying 1k to fix? the oem part lists out at 683.00 so 1k isn't crazy on cost to perform the repair.

RamCares

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Hey there,

We're interested in hearing more about this and seeing if we can't be of assistance. If you're interested in an extra layer of help, please send us a direct message.

Callie
Ram Cares

Supercraig1

Reaction score
The dealer won't work with the extended warranty? If you have an extended warranty how are you paying 1k to fix? the oem part lists out at 683.00 so 1k isn't crazy on cost to perform the repair.
If someone wont' take warranty than you pay.... Either I pay for the part at 683.00 or I pay $1200 for someone to do it. Why should I when I have an extended warranty that covers suspension. The problem is I'm not even sure that it's a ball joint. I haven't gotten anyone to diagnose what it is other than "yeah we can hear and feel it but dont' know what it is"

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If someone wont' take warranty than you pay.... Either I pay for the part at 683.00 or I pay $1200 for someone to do it. Why should I when I have an extended warranty that covers suspension. The problem is I'm not even sure that it's a ball joint. I haven't gotten anyone to diagnose what it is other than "yeah we can hear and feel it but dont' know what it is"
Who sold you the warranty?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
He said some independent shop won't fix it with his extended warranty. The dealer sees no problem with play the independent shop claimed.
Turns out, the "fix" for this issue has now changed along with new parts and now RAM wants me to pay over $1,000 for the new parts plus labor charges to rectify the same issue that they previously fixed under warranty
I read that as RAM diagnosed his noise as a ball joint.

6of36

Reaction score
The funny part is, he's whining like what was fixed is bad again, when it's not even the same parts that were replaced, and those parts fixed that issue. It's like having a left headlight replaced, then whining because the right headlight burns out a year later.

dog___fighter

Reaction score
Had the same problem in my 19 rebel ended up being ball joints so I replaced my upper control arms with core 4x4 ones and it rides way better now

Supercraig1

Reaction score
Who sold you the warranty?

The Ram dealer when I bought this as certified with 8k miles. I am usually skeptical of 3rd party warranties but the Ram dealer (not where I bought truck, too far away) where I took it for repair originally did take the 3rd party warranty. They just couldn’t properly fix the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

6of36

Reaction score
What? They replaced sway bar links then 15 months later you have a noise and claim its not fixed? Something isn't adding up.
If you read the entire thread, it was fixed. 15 months later he has a clunk again, thinking it was the same, but it's now different parts.

Supercraig1

Reaction score
Not 15 months. Sorry I sorta jacked this thread. I’m not the OP. I can see how that gets confusing.

6of36

Reaction score
Not 15 months. Sorry I sorta jacked this thread. I’m not the OP. I can see how that gets confusing.
Yes it is, cbty made it confusing, with a response to you sayig about the 15 months from the OP. His is totally different issue. As far as yours, I would be all over the dealers a s s, insisting it was fixed. Whether it is the lower control arm or not, find it and fix it. Take service manager for a ride. If you can duplicate the sound, tell them you don't care if they have to replace the entire front suspension. If there is a noise, fix it.

Users who are viewing this thread