5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Lemon-ited Edition

kfkelly31

Reaction score
I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I bought this truck last year. I thought I loved it, but this truck seems to be very finicky and fragile in regards to the electrical system. There is way too many options and too much stuff going on that can go wrong. I am terrified to bring this dead truck back to life. The brand new battery is less than 24 hours old. I started it up to warm the vehicle up this morning. I went to pack the family up and not only was it no longer running...it doesn't even have enough power to unlock the ram boxes.

I am afraid to even jumpstart the truck. Not only does it appear to have a high likelihood of leaving me stranded, but I fear that jumpstarting it could somehow cause damage to this fragile and faulty electrical system. Is it safe to even jumpstart this thing?? This is crazy...any advice?

Ram cares?? Care to comment at all on this??

HAL9001

Reaction score
You didn't give a lot of details but it sounds like a battery or alternator issue.

You mention the truck is a 2019 with a new battery, so it sounds like you replaced the original battery.

A properly charged brand new battery should not act this way. Perhaps it was never charged fully after you purchased it. I suggest fully charging the battery and trying again.

There are many thousands of 2019+ RAM trucks working properly, including mine. There are no inherent problems that you need to worry about. If you continue to experience problems, have the dealer check the alternator.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You didn't give a lot of details but it sounds like a battery or alternator issue.

You mention the truck is a 2019 with a new battery, so it sounds like you replaced the original battery.

A properly charged brand new battery should not act this way. Perhaps it was never charged fully after you purchased it. I suggest fully charging the battery and trying again.

There are many thousands of 2019+ RAM trucks working properly, including mine. There are no inherent problems that you need to worry about. If you continue to experience problems, have the dealer check the alternator.
He posted in a couple of threads - it’s an eTorque (no alternator).

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I bought this truck last year. I thought I loved it, but this truck seems to be very finicky and fragile in regards to the electrical system. There is way too many options and too much stuff going on that can go wrong. I am terrified to bring this dead truck back to life. The brand new battery is less than 24 hours old. I started it up to warm the vehicle up this morning. I went to pack the family up and not only was it no longer running...it doesn't even have enough power to unlock the ram boxes.

I am afraid to even jumpstart the truck. Not only does it appear to have a high likelihood of leaving me stranded, but I fear that jumpstarting it could somehow cause damage to this fragile and faulty electrical system. Is it safe to even jumpstart this thing?? This is crazy...any advice?

Ram cares?? Care to comment at all on this??
@RamCares

66Fuelie

Reaction score
Your truck is a 19, is this the first problem you have had? If not, what other problems have you been seeing?
Tom

kfkelly31

Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I appreciate the replies. Sorry about the frustration. The dash lit up like a pinball machine with several error codes including "Service Air Ride Suspension Immediately" to "Power Steering Service Required" or something like that.

I have put about 15k miles on it as the 2nd owner. Here is what I have been running into recently:

1) Trans stuck in certain gears with RPMs operating as if I was accelerating. 15-20 secs of this, it jumps into the proper gear.

2) Intermittent dash lights regarding servicing air ride suspension that have come and gone.

3) Unusual behavior with the air ride suspension raising and lowering after the vehicle has been parked and remained off for some time.

-After replacing the battery, it fired right up this morning without issue. The service engine light is now on, which I plan to bring it in tomorrow to address.

With 2 separate batteries, is there any reason why it would start up with a fully charged battery, run idle for several minutes, then fall flat on its face after having completely drained the battery to death while running?

Thanks again for the reponses...sorry for the frustration. I am just concerned about why the check engine light is now on after getting the tires replaced and alignment done, then replacing the battery. I am concerned there is going to be some kind of issue that is not likely to be covered by warrantee, while the truck now has 60,002 miles on it.

Any battery recommendations? I'm happy to pay whatever if it helps reduce the chances of getting stranded in cold chicago weather.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

ekaz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
In one of the other 12 threads you started about this, I thought it said you jump started the truck...did all this happen after you jump started it? Did you connect the 2 vehicles properly? These are very sensitive electrically and weird things can happen. As far as the dash lighting up, I've seen it happen when the battery is bad, again sensitive electrically.

HAL9001

Reaction score
Many of the symptoms you described are battery-related. The battery is the heart of the entire electrical system, if there's a serious problem with it, you're going to see a lot of the symptoms you describe such as the pinball lights, basically an entire electrical systems failure. Since the truck is heavily reliant on the electrical system, you will see multiple systems failures. The good news is that once the battery issue is resolved, these problems will go away.

The first step is to absolutely ensure that your battery is working optimally. If you don't know how to test it yourself, bring it to the dealer, or many auto parts stores such as AutoZone will test it for you for free.

If your battery is ok, then you need to have the charging system checked. On most vehicles, the alternator needs to be looked at. However, if you have the eTorque option, you need to check the motor-generator which replaces the alternator as well as the 48-volt NMC-Graphite battery, the DC-to-DC converter, and the Intelligent Battery Sensor (IBS) module. The dealer is well-equipped to check out the eTorque system. If a problem is found, be aware that the Federal Emission Warranty covers the following parts of the eTorque system for eight years/80,000 miles:
Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
Powertrain Control Module
Power Pack Unit - 48 Volts

If you want to replace the OEM battery, it's essential that you choose a high-quality aftermarket battery since the RAM 1500 is heavily reliant on the electrical system and puts a heavy demand on the 12 V battery. Choose a battery with an excellent rated reserve capacity such as the Optima batteries. Optima recommends the DH7 for your RAM. Odyssey also makes high-performance batteries, the 94R is recommended for the RAM 1500 V8.

Forum Suggestion: Please don't post multiple threads about the same issue. This is confusing and time-consuming for everyone and you have your information spread across too many threads. If you want help, a single thread is best.

kfkelly31

Reaction score
Sorry about the separate threads. Being new to a forum, I don't know what a thread is or how it differs from a post. I was under the impression that it wouldn't get alot of exposure unless I posted it under specific topics. Thanks for the heads up

HAL9001

Reaction score
Sorry about the separate threads. Being new to a forum, I don't know what a thread is or how it differs from a post. I was under the impression that it wouldn't get alot of exposure unless I posted it under specific topics. Thanks for the heads up

A forum "thread" is a collection of posts under a specific topic heading within a specific forum. This thread entitled "2019 Ram Lemon-ited Edition" was created by you.

A "post" is an individual entry within a thread. A thread usually contains multiple posts.

When you want to create a thread, put it in a forum that most closely matches the topic. For your 2019 RAM 1500, the "5th Gen General Discussion" is a good place for general topics. If it doesn't get a lot of attention there, you can then try another more specific forum if you wish, but always wait a bit before posting the same topic elsewhere. It may take a little time for people to read your post and then reply.

Most of us use the What's New forum feature to see the latest threads/posts across all the forums here, so you don't need to create multiple threads on the same topic. If you post something, we'll see it.

kfkelly31

Reaction score
My truck is not a lemon...it's exactly what I hoped it would be when I bought it. I still don't understand what exactly happened that led the issues that no longer exist.

They did do some kind of programming update though. While a great deal of the improvement in performance in practically all systems could be in my head, there's nothing else in the world I would rather drive.

Is there any way to change the title of this thread from Lemon-ited to Limited??? This truck is a beast!!

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I appreciate the replies. Sorry about the frustration. The dash lit up like a pinball machine with several error codes including "Service Air Ride Suspension Immediately" to "Power Steering Service Required" or something like that.

I have put about 15k miles on it as the 2nd owner. Here is what I have been running into recently:

1) Trans stuck in certain gears with RPMs operating as if I was accelerating. 15-20 secs of this, it jumps into the proper gear.

2) Intermittent dash lights regarding servicing air ride suspension that have come and gone.

3) Unusual behavior with the air ride suspension raising and lowering after the vehicle has been parked and remained off for some time.

-After replacing the battery, it fired right up this morning without issue. The service engine light is now on, which I plan to bring it in tomorrow to address.

With 2 separate batteries, is there any reason why it would start up with a fully charged battery, run idle for several minutes, then fall flat on its face after having completely drained the battery to death while running?

Thanks again for the reponses...sorry for the frustration. I am just concerned about why the check engine light is now on after getting the tires replaced and alignment done, then replacing the battery. I am concerned there is going to be some kind of issue that is not likely to be covered by warrantee, while the truck now has 60,002 miles on it.

Any battery recommendations? I'm happy to pay whatever if it helps reduce the chances of getting stranded in cold chicago weather.

Feel lucky you have 60,000 miles on it, my 19 had issues from mile #1 that were never resolved. I went through a year of hell, with a 62,000$ POS! But then I’m accused of just being negative on here! I’m sorry your having issues, good luck, id sell it/trade it fast and never look back👍🏻 I bet the same guys who say I’m negative would feel the same way if they had a new $62,000 truck that wasn’t safe to drive!

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I'm not sure if you can edit the title this long after the initial post, because I'm fairly new here. Some forums have a cutoff for editing. If you can't, you can send a message to one of the moderators that can do it for you.

Users who are viewing this thread