5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram gauge cluster / evic upgrade

Lineman2011

Reaction score
So I have a 2019 Ram 2500 base big horn with the 6.4. I have the small black and white EVIC in the cluster. I was wondering if anybody has done or knows if it’s possible to upgrade it to the larger 7” evic found in the Laramie and such. Is it a plug and play swap like the 4th gens were as long as I find one from a gas motor? Also does my correct mileage stay with the truck when the new one is plugged in or does it bring the mileage over from the “new” cluster? Thanks in advance.

Lineman2011

Reaction score
Well a 1500 cluster will not work in 2500

So I have a 2019 Ram 2500 base big horn with the 6.4. I have the small black and white EVIC in the cluster. I was wondering if anybody has done or knows if it’s possible to upgrade it to the larger 7” evic found in the Laramie and such. Is it a plug and play swap like the 4th gens were as long as I find one from a gas motor? Also does my correct mileage stay with the truck when the new one is plugged in or does it bring the mileage over from the “new” cluster? Thanks in advance.

9f8870bc704b683c581ba46374b5bab8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Da MNTN

Reaction score
I am about to do the same, bought a 1500 one off ebay, and they programmed the miles for me. But I am struggling to find instructions on how to remove the cluster to begin with. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated :)

Lineman2011

Reaction score
Pull the trim off and it’s maybe 4 screws. Super easy. I’ll see if I can find a picture

Lineman2011

Reaction score
You may need to use AlfaOBD or have the dealer program your truck to account for the different cluster.

Yeah. It wouldn’t work on mine. I’m not good with computers so I have no idea what alfaobd is. I’m sure as some time goes on someone will figure out how to do it. The 7” cluster is hands down much nicer than the 3.5”

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Pull the trim off and it’s maybe 4 screws. Super easy. I’ll see if I can find a picture

The removal process for the cluster is much different than the 4th gens (sorry, I can't get the pictures from the service manual to upload):

MASK AND LENS
REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable(s) (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Battery System/Standard Procedure) .
  2. Remove the instrument cluster from the instrument panel (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/Cluster, Instrument Panel/Removal and Installation) .

3. Working around the perimeter of the cluster housing, disengage each of the eight latches (1) that secure the cluster lens, hood and mask assembly to the cluster housing.
  4. Remove the lens, hood and mask assembly from the face of the instrument cluster.
INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER
REMOVAL

1. Disconnect and isolate the negative battery cable(s) (Refer to 08 - Electrical/Battery System/Standard Procedure) .
  2. Lower the steering column and steering wheel to its lowest position.
  3. Remove the instrument cluster bezel (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/BEZEL, Instrument Cluster/Removal and Installation) .
  4. Remove the instrument panel center bezel (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/BEZEL, Instrument Panel/Removal and Installation) .

5. Using a trim stick or equivalent, Remove the left and right cluster closeout trim panels and disconnect wire harness connector from right closeout.
  6. Remove the steering wheel (Refer to 19 - Steering/Column/WHEEL, Steering/Removal and Installation) .
  7. Remove the transmission shifter (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic/SHIFTER, Transmission/Removal and Installation) .
  8. Remove the head lamp switch bezel(Refer to 08 - Electrical/Lamps/Lighting - Exterior/SWITCH, Headlamp/Removal and Installation)
  9. Remove the steering column shroud and gap hider(Refer to 19 - Steering/Column/SHROUD, Steering Column/Removal and Installation) .

10. Remove the four screws (1) that secure the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) to the instrument panel.
  11. Pull the top of the IPC outward far enough to access and disconnect the IPC wire harness connector.
  12. Remove the IPC (2) from the vehicle.
Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030019 miles.

Bert1125

Reaction score
Dusty, Could you please try to post the instructions again or were you found them. i would like to see about changing out my cluster if able. Thanks

Dusty1948

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dusty, Could you please try to post the instructions again or were you found them. i would like to see about changing out my cluster if able. Thanks
Hi Bert,

I'm not sure I understand your request. The instructions for removing the cluster are in the preceding message to yours. Or am I not understand the request?

If I can help I'll be glad to.

Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 031303 miles.

Lineman2011

Reaction score
The cluster removal is super easy. Did it on mine I’m about 5 min

Bert1125

Reaction score
Sorry I misunderstood your post Dusty. I thought the links where to the service manual. So all the panels just just pull off? Also I am getting conflicting results on what generation of cluster I have (4th or 5th). I think I may have a 4th Gen by the looks of it but I am now second guessing. Here is a picture of my 3.5" gauge cluster. Does any know what generation it is or how I would find out?

Attachments

• 20200327_091620.jpg
    20200327_091620.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 201

Lineman2011

Reaction score
Sorry I misunderstood your post Dusty. I thought the links where to the service manual. So all the panels just just pull off? Also I am getting conflicting results on what generation of cluster I have (4th or 5th). I think I may have a 4th Gen by the looks of it but I am now second guessing. Here is a picture of my 3.5" gauge cluster. Does any know what generation it is or how I would find out?

That is a 5th Gen cluster

Lineman2011

Reaction score
The removal process for the cluster is much different than the 4th gens (sorry, I can't get the pictures from the service manual to upload):

MASK AND LENS
REMOVAL

2. Remove the instrument cluster from the instrument panel (Refer to 08 - Electrical/8E - Electronic Control Modules/Cluster, Instrument Panel/Removal and Installation) .

3. Working around the perimeter of the cluster housing, disengage each of the eight latches (1) that secure the cluster lens, hood and mask assembly to the cluster housing.
  4. Remove the lens, hood and mask assembly from the face of the instrument cluster.
INSTRUMENT PANEL CLUSTER
REMOVAL

2. Lower the steering column and steering wheel to its lowest position.
  3. Remove the instrument cluster bezel (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/BEZEL, Instrument Cluster/Removal and Installation) .
  4. Remove the instrument panel center bezel (Refer to 23 - Body/Instrument Panel/BEZEL, Instrument Panel/Removal and Installation) .

5. Using a trim stick or equivalent, Remove the left and right cluster closeout trim panels and disconnect wire harness connector from right closeout.
  6. Remove the steering wheel (Refer to 19 - Steering/Column/WHEEL, Steering/Removal and Installation) .
  7. Remove the transmission shifter (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic/SHIFTER, Transmission/Removal and Installation) .
  8. Remove the head lamp switch bezel(Refer to 08 - Electrical/Lamps/Lighting - Exterior/SWITCH, Headlamp/Removal and Installation)
  9. Remove the steering column shroud and gap hider(Refer to 19 - Steering/Column/SHROUD, Steering Column/Removal and Installation) .

10. Remove the four screws (1) that secure the Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) to the instrument panel.
  11. Pull the top of the IPC outward far enough to access and disconnect the IPC wire harness connector.
  12. Remove the IPC (2) from the vehicle.
Best regards,
Dusty
2019 Ram 1500 Billet Silver Laramie Quad Cab 2WD, 5.7 Hemi, 8HP75, 3.21 axle, 33 gallon fuel tank, factory dual exhaust, 18” wheels. Build date: 17 July 2018. Now at: 030019 miles.

I had my 5th gen cluster out twice so far.

PCT

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new here! I saw that infotainment is selling the premium clusters again, back in stock. They are 1200 though. They are fairly common on ebay for 4-650 but w/o mileage correction. Does alpha obd change mileage, how would I change mileage on these.

XGen5Ram

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I am new here! I saw that infotainment is selling the premium clusters again, back in stock. They are 1200 though. They are fairly common on ebay for 4-650 but w/o mileage correction. Does alpha obd change mileage, how would I change mileage on these.
Not sure about the “alpha..” but I bought 1 for $400 and sent it to navrepair for the mileage programming and to assign it to my VIN. Cost was $140 and $20 to ship it there. It was money well spent..

PCT

Reaction score
I am about to do the same, bought a 1500 one off ebay, and they programmed the miles for me. But I am struggling to find instructions on how to remove the cluster to begin with. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated :)
Did your 1500 cluster work? I found a “1500” cluster with programming for about 600$. But I have heard units from a 1500 don’t work in 2500s

PCT

Reaction score
Did your 1500 cluster work? I found a “1500” cluster with programming for about 600$. But I have heard units from a 1500 don’t work in 2500s
Lol never mind, literally read the OP post. Safari on the iPhone sucks and couldn’t see his post at first

Users who are viewing this thread