5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Delivery With Undercarriage Damage From Steve's Hometown Motor's Weiser, ID

Rmisbach

Reaction score
I purchased a new 2019 RAM 1500 Laramie on 2/12/20. I live in Northern California and flew to Idaho with my father-in-law to purchase this vehicle and drive it home. Upon arrival the vehicle appeared in good condition with no obvious damage. After arriving home on 2/13/20, while washing the vehicle I noticed unusual damage to the front bumper/ lower under carriage area. On both sides of the front bumper, in the same locations, are two large dents that appear from an upward force. There is also damage to the front splash guards behind both front wheels and paint chipping along the body pinch welds. I knew from this unusual and symmetrical damage that this had to be something that occurred prior to driving it home.

I immediately documented pictures of the damage found and sent them via text message to salesman Mark Donicht. He was in immediate contact with me and told me to be patient and to, “see what he can do.” After several days without any resolution, on 2/21/20 Mark requested I get an estimate for repairs from a local body shop. The body shop came back with a repair estimate and explanation of what they think occurred and stated, “front bumper has upward symmetrical impact damage clearly related to tie down during transport.”

After providing Mark with the repair estimate, I was told the Service Manager, Toby, would need to give final approval before proceeding on a repair to fix the damaged bumper/associated parts. After waiting several days and making repeated attempts to get in touch with the Service Manager, on 3/2/20 I was finally told by Mark Donicht that the General Manager of the dealership would be contacting me. When I spoke to the General Manager, Brandon Johnson, on Friday 3/13/20 he refused to take responsibility in any of the damage and told me that it was, "my responsibility to get down on my hands and knees to inspect the vehicle before it was driven off the lot." And to further aggravate the situation I was told by the GM that the damage occurred on my drive back home.

As coming from the automotive dealership industry myself, being a Toyota Master Diagnostic Technician for over 7 years, it is clear to see that the vehicle was not properly “Pre Delivery Inspected” at the time of delivery or the technician was negligent on documenting the known damage. If it had a thorough inspection it would have been seen while the truck was on the lift or if sold to someone there should’ve been disclosure on the defect(s) to the buyer. This is an issue that I should’ve never had any visibility to as I was buying a brand new vehicle. If industry protocol would’ve been followed I would’ve arrived and driven off with an undamaged vehicle.

I am very disappointed in having to deal with this lack of customer service after buying a brand new truck that I traveled so far to purchase. I feel the entire new vehicle purchase experience has been a huge disappointment by having to constantly track down the dealer staff in trying to resolve the damage to my new truck. I have taken the steps requested by the staff and instead of the damage being fixed, I am being told it was I who damaged the vehicle. I reached out to the owner of the dealership, Steve Dominguez, to request that the damage be fixed. I never got any response from him, but the GM called me back stating their was nothing they could do. I even provided picture proof of visible damage to the truck while it is still on the dealer's lot. (as seen highlighted below)

I would highly recommend not traveling to purchase from this dealer as it is very clear they just want your money. After spending over $45,000 with them I really would have thought they would have treated me better after leaving the lot. Lesson learned, if the deal is too good to be true, it likely is...

Videos and pictures in Google Drive link below

https://drive.google.com/open?id=10N89QSGDbdpDFf-1poMtpvrVo-YcjWlg

Mustangmike66

Reaction score
That is some shady business. I’m not a lawyer but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn last night. I’d take them to court. I think you have enough proof with that photo in front of the dealership.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dts828

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That stinks, if I had to guess I would bet it happened on the car carrier when they were pulling it off or on.

Its ashamed they won't step up but not really surprised.

Try having Ram Cares step in, you don't have nothing to waste.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Rmisbach

Reaction score
Thanks I tried to forget about this after already buying the parts and fixing it myself... but today I got a “Dealership Experience Survey” from RAM that refueled the fire. After several reviews later I thought I would share with you all my experience, in hopes no one else has to deal with this. Not fun at all! Whole reason I bought a new truck was to avoid working on it... I’m hoping maybe this can spark some attention and shine a spotlight on this dealer.

I opened a case with RAM customer service when this initially happened after getting the run around from the dealer and RAM unfortunately couldn’t take any action. It was a “dealer dispute”. Not a product defect/ issue. They left me with my last resort to writing a “letter of discontent” to RAM corporate but I have yet to do so. I’m afraid that will be another lost cause

jdefoe0424

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Can't hurt to get @RamCares involved, seems they've helped a lot of other people out with similar dealer dissatisfaction issues

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What a mess... congratulations for keeping a cool head. It's a lot easier to leave a critical review when not blinded by rage

Scott_65

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would consult with a lawyer and get their take on your situation. To me the damage is identical on both sides supporting your claim it was done in transit. I can’t imagine how the GM could claim you caused it as it’s right under the tow hooks which look to have no signs of any damage. I will say however that I’m surprised you didn’t notice it when you picked it up but as you stated they certainly should have seen it and disclosed the damage to you. I hope you get it resolved to your satisfaction, keep us posted on the outcome.

AmericanRebelution

Reaction score
That's a really unfortunate experience. One of the joys of buying a new vehicle is getting to have it close to perfect - even if it's just for a little bit of time. It's too bad the dealer didn't make more effort to make this right.

That said, I think the dealer is in a tough spot here. You did accept delivery of the vehicle then drive it hundreds of miles from Idaho to California.

While shopping around for my truck, I did see a couple with damage and one was a truck I was interested in. Important to spend some time and really take a close look at what you are buying.

2020BigHorn

Reaction score
This sounds like a horrible situation for you.

With the long distance you drove to get this vehicle, and its cost, any reason you didn’t do a more thorough inspection? That front bumper especially is pretty noticeable. I think given the pictures you provided the dealer should probably at least help fix it, but I see where they’re coming from. How do they know the front damage wasn’t caused by you? Hopefully you can get it fixed and enjoy the truck.

It’s a good warning to those who plan on buying new. Check the vehicle over, especially when new, because they change a lot of hands between the factory and your driveway. The PDI process unfortunately is always rushed. The dealer only pays a set amount of time to the mechanic to complete it, and they are usually done by the oil change/tire rotation guys due to their pay rate, so they may not have even looked at anything when it was on the lift.

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Sorry this happened. Totally unacceptable. One thing I noticed is the labor rate on your estimate. $120 per hour!!??? Since when does a body shop charge that much? Mechanical shop yes...body shop? No. WOW.

Rmisbach

Reaction score
Sorry this happened. Totally unacceptable. One thing I noticed is the labor rate on your estimate. $120 per hour!!??? Since when does a body shop charge that much? Mechanical shop yes...body shop? No. WOW.
Another joy of living in California... everything is more expensive. When I was at the Toyota dealer our shop rate was $154 an hour!

Rmisbach

Reaction score
This sounds like a horrible situation for you.

With the long distance you drove to get this vehicle, and its cost, any reason you didn’t do a more thorough inspection? That front bumper especially is pretty noticeable. I think given the pictures you provided the dealer should probably at least help fix it, but I see where they’re coming from. How do they know the front damage wasn’t caused by you? Hopefully you can get it fixed and enjoy the truck.

It’s a good warning to those who plan on buying new. Check the vehicle over, especially when new, because they change a lot of hands between the factory and your driveway. The PDI process unfortunately is always rushed. The dealer only pays a set amount of time to the mechanic to complete it, and they are usually done by the oil change/tire rotation guys due to their pay rate, so they may not have even looked at anything when it was on the lift.
I agree, had I been more thorough when I inspected it I would have liked to think I would have caught it. It was missed by myself, and father in law who both have pretty keen eyes. I even joke about having a mild case of OCD. But from the sight of view when standing in front of the truck looking down it was almost impossible to spot unless you knew what you were looking for. And the tow hooks hid the damage almost perfect when looking down. You really had to poke your head down there or sit on the ground and look dead on at it. It’s a shame because the next new vehicle I purchase (if I ever) will be gone over with a fine comb. I’ll have to insist it be put on the rack so I can properly look underneath for damage like I have experienced with this truck.

Last edited:

Rmisbach

Reaction score
That's a really unfortunate experience. One of the joys of buying a new vehicle is getting to have it close to perfect - even if it's just for a little bit of time. It's too bad the dealer didn't make more effort to make this right.

That said, I think the dealer is in a tough spot here. You did accept delivery of the vehicle then drive it hundreds of miles from Idaho to California.

While shopping around for my truck, I did see a couple with damage and one was a truck I was interested in. Important to spend some time and really take a close look at what you are buying.
I knew I had a tough battle with my word against theirs. But after providing proof of the truck on their lot with picture evidence I thought I had a chance! The GM would not acknowledge that truck showed damage in the picture of it sitting on their lot. I think that was the most frustrating part because the picture doesn’t lie.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Another joy of living in California... everything is more expensive. When I was at the Toyota dealer our shop rate was $154 an hour!
I'm an adjuster in MA for a major insurance company, we pay $44.00 per hour. While a shop can charge any price they want, we don't pay more than that. I imagine if the op went through his ins company that estimate would come down.

Users who are viewing this thread