5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram Air Conditioner (automatically comes on)

BoBosarge

Reaction score
So I have a concern about my Ram's air conditioner. During the February/March time frame when outside temps were averaging in the low 60's, there was no need for the air conditioner so it was turned off. BUT with the fan blowing just to keep fresh air in the truck, the air conditioner would AUTOMATICALLY come on and freeze us out. I would have to turn the digital temp dial up to 80 to warm the freezing air that was coming out of the vents. The a/c compressor would run for 3 or 4 minutes and then would turn off which in turn would cause me to turn the digital dial back down to 70 so that we didn't start sweating. During a 30 mile drive to work the a/c (even though it is turned off) will come on and shut off 4 to 5 times causing me to constantly adjust the temp dial to keep the cabin at a comfortable temp. Obviously since we are now in the summer months the a/c is on constantly but there have been a couple of mornings where the temps were in the low 70's and I turned the a/c off but still it would automatically come on while driving down the interstate. The dealer refused to look at it because he said that it automatically operates to hold the cabin at a constant temp even though the button to turn the a/c on is selected OFF. This made no sense to me because if this theory is correct then technically I should not have to ever turn the a/c on but rather just keep the digital setting at 70 and it should maintain that temp. It's in the mid 90's where I live and I can promise you it will not cool the cabin down unless you turn the a/c on! Has anyone else had this issue of the a/c coming on by itself? It can be very frustrating when you don't need the a/c!!!

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So I have a concern about my Ram's air conditioner. During the February/March time frame when outside temps were averaging in the low 60's, there was no need for the air conditioner so it was turned off. BUT with the fan blowing just to keep fresh air in the truck, the air conditioner would AUTOMATICALLY come on and freeze us out. I would have to turn the digital temp dial up to 80 to warm the freezing air that was coming out of the vents. The a/c compressor would run for 3 or 4 minutes and then would turn off which in turn would cause me to turn the digital dial back down to 70 so that we didn't start sweating. During a 30 mile drive to work the a/c (even though it is turned off) will come on and shut off 4 to 5 times causing me to constantly adjust the temp dial to keep the cabin at a comfortable temp. Obviously since we are now in the summer months the a/c is on constantly but there have been a couple of mornings where the temps were in the low 70's and I turned the a/c off but still it would automatically come on while driving down the interstate. The dealer refused to look at it because he said that it automatically operates to hold the cabin at a constant temp even though the button to turn the a/c on is selected OFF. This made no sense to me because if this theory is correct then technically I should not have to ever turn the a/c on but rather just keep the digital setting at 70 and it should maintain that temp. It's in the mid 90's where I live and I can promise you it will not cool the cabin down unless you turn the a/c on! Has anyone else had this issue of the a/c coming on by itself? It can be very frustrating when you don't need the a/c!!!
Are you saying there is no way to turn everything off completely if you so desire? That doesn’t seem right ? Sorry to ask but are you following the manual operating instructions and not just trying to operate it intuitively?

BoBosarge

Reaction score
Are you saying there is no way to turn everything off completely if you so desire? That doesn’t seem right ? Sorry to ask but are you following the manual operating instructions and not just trying to operate it intuitively?
Yes I am following the directions and operating it correctly. What I am saying is when the green light is off (on the temp control knob), meaning the a/c is off, and the fan is blowing (just to circulate air in the cabin), the a/c compressor will still come on intermittently and freeze you out of the truck. Even when it is 50F outside and the fan only is running with the temp dial set at 70F (so that you are adding a little warmth to the cabin), the a/c will be turned off and still the a/c compressor will start which in turn drastically decreases the temp of the air blowing out the vents.

stevenpiper

Reaction score
Hello there! It's a strange problem to be sincere as I understand your aircon not cooling when you want, and sometimes it works uncontrollably. Several things can cause electrical issues for your car's air conditioning. These can include failed switches, a blown fuse, a problem with the control module, or something else. Fuses can short out and make the A/C stop working, or a loose connection can create an electrical short that is easily fixed. Go to a car service and they should fix the problem! I hope my post helped you. Good luck and have a nice day!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread