5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 ram 5.7 whining noise Engine or Transmission??

Jeremynevada

Reaction score
Thanks for any guidance on this. My truck first did a whining noise on the highway 70 mph after 60k so out of warranty. Sounds similar to a diesel’s turbo whine. I filled truck up after first time hearing it with better gas on the way home no more issues. But also it was end of the highway so speeds much slower. Months later same noise happened.. it’s only on highway after driving for around 2hours every time it happens now. This is at 2,000 rpm around 70mph. Truck seems to lose power when the whining noise starts. Typically happens on more hilly areas but not always. If I romp on gas pedal to speed up sometimes it will completely lose power and transmission slips. Not always, if it doesn’t it will get to 3000 rpm and engine growls like normal and power is good and runs on. Truck runs fine day in and day out as I only drive around an hour at a time. Pulling trailer seems to make matters worst. No check engine lights. No slipping under normal highway speeds like I say it had to be after two hours of highway driving.

AllAmer1719

Reaction score
I have a 2020 Ram 1500 2WD, started hearing a whining noise myself. It sounds like to coming from right side, maybe moreso the rear. So tonight i checked Diff Fluid level, couldnt see through fill plug. Drained and found that I was about A QUART LOW. Mind you, I have never touch the rear diff and I am at 115k miles. The fluid did look normal for this many miles. So I refilled for my 3.21 gear; sound still seems that its there.
My next concern...it better not be a pinion gear/bearing in rear differential. Also, hate to assume it be a wheel bearing. Neither of these things should be failing this soon. Although, some say the sound is normal. So I dont know where I am at. Im having a great friend/mechanic tomorrow listen to it.

AllAmer1719

Reaction score
Seems like a pinion/carrier bearing. Might as well replace all 4. I will see which is the culprit here soon when I tear it down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online