5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 4wd overheated performance temporarily reduced

technicholas

Reaction score
We had a good snow fall in Iowa 5-6 inches. I was driving into someone’s driveway and the vehicle kept complaining of 4wd overheated performance temporarily reduced the vehicle was slipping and there was no performance. The truck was at operating temperature. I was able to reverse just fine just moving forward. I have never seen this before. We have had other similar snow falls and I’ve spun all 4 tires up a hill before.

4WD high

thoughts
2019 ram limited v8

Last edited:

C0ps

Reaction score
We had a good snow fall in Iowa 5-6 inches. I was driving into someone’s driveway and the vehicle kept complaining of 4wd overheated performance temporarily reduced the vehicle was slipping and there was no performance. The truck was at operating temperature. I was able to reverse just fine just moving forward. I have never seen this before. We have had other similar snow falls and I’ve spun all 4 tires up a hill before.

thoughts
2019 ram limited v8
Possible you had it on 4 wheel low?

LincolnSixAlpha

Reaction score
There was another discussion in these forums regarding this issue where someone was utilizing their 4x4 system and climbing a steep offroad hill with same/similar results as what you experienced with the 4x4 system overheating. I suspect this is related to your transfer case in that you have the Limited model which is using the new Borg Warner EMOD, or electromechanical Transfer Case #48-11. This transfer case uses clutch packs to emulate 4WD on-demand (aka your "auto" button). The rebel uses the #48-12 case which is part-time 4WD, with no ability to use the 4WD system in Auto. This transfer case is a traditional transfer case with no clutch pack like yours, so overheating the situation like the other T-case.

Now why it simply overheated in driving in 5-6 inches of snow is another question altogether. I'd think the system would be a bit more robust than that.

iamtheav8r

Reaction score

thoughts
2019 ram limited v8
You had it in 4WD Auto I assume? If so...use 4WD High next time.

technicholas

Reaction score
thanks for the update. Now the question is why and what is the solution
They have my vehicle. I’ll provide updates. I’ve had all kinds of issues with it. AC sucks, Wiper Motor been replaced, 3rd brake light replaced, headliner replaced.

Pribilof

Reaction score
Wow, I was thinking of buying the wife a new ram limited but if the four-wheel drive system can't deal with a half a foot of snow that's not going to work for us in Colorado mountains.

DesertRebel

Reaction score
There was another discussion in these forums regarding this issue where someone was utilizing their 4x4 system and climbing a steep offroad hill with same/similar results as what you experienced with the 4x4 system overheating. I suspect this is related to your transfer case in that you have the Limited model which is using the new Borg Warner EMOD, or electromechanical Transfer Case #48-11. This transfer case uses clutch packs to emulate 4WD on-demand (aka your "auto" button). The rebel uses the #48-12 case which is part-time 4WD, with no ability to use the 4WD system in Auto. This transfer case is a traditional transfer case with no clutch pack like yours, so overheating the situation like the other T-case.

Now why it simply overheated in driving in 5-6 inches of snow is another question altogether. I'd think the system would be a bit more robust than that.
here's the other thread:

technicholas

Reaction score
here's the other thread:
I agree I wasn’t like trying to drive out of a ditch or using the vehicle to snow plow.

airgas1998

Reaction score
They have my vehicle. I’ll provide updates. I’ve had all kinds of issues with it. AC sucks, Wiper Motor been replaced, 3rd brake light replaced, headliner replaced.
where at in iowa did you purchase it from? received mine from deery bros in waterloo...

Users who are viewing this thread