5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 2nd year Registration Fee (CA)

19RamLimited

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I am Happy in Texas. I know it may not offer the most in terms of tourism or whatever and the seasons are exactly all represented, but No state income tax and the vehicle costs for registration and inspection are apparently something I should celebrate now I have a realization of what others are paying. I feel for those that have to pay $1000 a year to register. That just seems so incredibly high.

Neokane

Reaction score
not just CA here in bumfuk IA it's 1% of msrp...so good ole' 660 bux for me, and it takes at least five years before it mildly goes down...

Own a farm or business??
Trade truck registration is $150.

ldoh

Reaction score
I bet Kalifornia sales tax on initial purchase was tough to swallow too. There's probably more than a couple of reasons people are leaving the state.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I bet Kalifornia sales tax on initial purchase was tough to swallow too. There's probably more than a couple of reasons people are leaving the state.

Not enough are leaving, still positive growth (and not primarily from Illegals either). Though it's enough to keep medium home prices at over half a million dollars, so when I retire I can cash out and live in the Bahamas.

Sales tax is based on the county you live, mine is 7.50% for example.

ldoh

Reaction score
Not enough are leaving, still positive growth (and not primarily from Illegals either). Though it's enough to keep medium home prices at over half a million dollars, so when I retire I can cash out and live in the Bahamas.

Sales tax is based on the county you live, mine is 7.50% for example.

I left San Diego years ago but sounds like the exodus is on. It isn't as bad as NY or Illinois but still isn't a good trend.

Here's what Google says about it.

Is there a California exodus?

The California exodus is speeding up. People have long dreamed of moving to California, but increasingly the people in the state are looking to get out. According to recently released data from the US Census, about 38,000 more people left California than entered it in 2018.
Apr 18, 2019

It looks like SD county has a 7.75% sales tax rate (6% for state, 0.25% for SD county, and 1.5% special tax). Now some cities in SD county are even higher.

The lowest California city/county sales tax is 7.25%, the highest is 10.5%. Of course, sales tax is only part of the cost of living but California is near the bottom in that regard.

ddharris

Reaction score
I loved San Diego during my time in the Navy. If I could afford it ( decent house)I would move there in a second.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I left San Diego years ago but sounds like the exodus is on. It isn't as bad as NY or Illinois but still isn't a good trend.

It looks like SD county has a 7.75% sales tax rate (6% for state, 0.25% for SD county, and 1.5% special tax). Now some cities in SD county are even higher.

The lowest California city/county sales tax is 7.25%, the highest is 10.5%. Of course, sales tax is only part of the cost of living but California is near the bottom in that regard.
property taxes are low also especially if you have owned your house for a while

DennisY

Reaction score
I love San Diego. I can afford it here. I'm not planning on moving. Not even when I retire (which isn't far off). Yes, my DMV registration renewal cost was a kick in the side ($800+). And gas prices are high. No matter. I love it here.

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score

Opps, it's been a while that I checked my taxes, it must have jumped from 7.50 to 7.75 when I wasn't looking.

As for the amount of people leaving, I've been reading different things, but based on net population gain/loss, California is still gaining in population, just the lowest amount historically.

We are talking still talking about the most populous state in the Union, with over 38 million people or about 12% of the whole US population. If you go by that 38,000 number you posted, that's still only .001% of the population. Not sure if I would use the world "Exodus", seems a little strong for what is happening.

Hapsmig

Reaction score
Mine was about $700 in Kansas. Between my 19 and 15 it was $1,069.
Sucks

Attachments

• dmv.png
    dmv.png
    45.3 KB · Views: 4

ddharris

Reaction score
Even truck message boards have them I guess.

Rampat

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These states are crazy lol. I have no idea why anyone would move to California or Colorado knowing things like this. Personally I’ve only been to San Diego (brother in law lives there) and it was very nice but not out of this world worth paying all that money to live there nice, and LA which does absolutely nothing for me. Colorado on the other hand is amazing and beautiful but it’s been years since I’ve been there, before the hipsters and homeless issues.

I’m a Florida Native and believe me there are annoying parts here too (mainly overcrowding and areas that nobody speaks English....ie if you don’t speak Spanish they won’t serve you at a restaurant). But besides that man it’s a nice Wild West of do what you want. We have no income tax, mild property tax, 6% state sales tax only on non-essential items (milk, bread, etc are tax free) and they give us a tax free week before school starts to buy new clothes and supplies and everything. On vehicles you only pay 6% sales tax on the first $5000. Registration is under $100 for my truck, $60 for my boat, and no inspections or emissions testing.

Best part is my take home pay is 84% of my salary and I still get a tax refund every year.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score
Just renewed my registration for two years in VA and ordered a special plate at the same time. Including the ~$75 special plate fee that was bundled in, it came out to $174.50

Users who are viewing this thread