5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 19-Speaker Harman Kardon® Premium Sound system

2019REBEL

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Does anyone know if disconnecting the battery would effect the update that was performed by the dealer?

No it wouldn't. It's already in there, it's like a computer you update it and turn it off/unplug it and it's still in there.

Car Ramrod

Reaction score
I just bought my first Ram a few weeks ago and loving it so far (outside of the terrible dealer experience but that isn't the truck's fault). I went with a '19 1500 Classic Big Horn (I still like those fronts more) but was curious if I can upgrade the sound system to the 19 speaker HK or if it's even worth it at this point (after reading all of your issues with the sound levels). I'm curious if you guys think I'd be better off piecing together my own speakers, amp, sub or seeing if they can put that speaker upgrade in my Classic (if it's an option).
If it's not an option, anybody got any suggestions of what to use? I'm not trying to rattle out my neighbors - just some quality sound. I'm a total music nerd and listen to everything from classic lofi punk, hip hop, blues, jazz, etc.

mwarriner

Reaction score
I have the H/K 19 speaker system and I think its fine. I play my stereo for my own enjoyment, don't feel I need to share it with my neighbors or the vehicles around me at the stop light.

greatone99

Reaction score
I just took mine in for the amp update ,He plugged in my Vin number and plugged in the you connect system and there was no update available for My amp , even though I can turn mine up to 38 and it doesn’t sound loud, everything was checked off blue the radio the amp everything .

greatone99

Reaction score
I just took mine in for the amp update ,He plugged in my Vin number and plugged in the you connect system and there was no update available for My amp , even though I can turn mine up to 38 and it doesn’t sound loud, everything was checked off blue the radio the amp everything .
According to my bill date it should have the update , but talking with you guys on here i have my bass at plus 5 , and it’s still not that much bass, and I can crank it to 38 no problem ,

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
According to my bill date it should have the update , but talking with you guys on here i have my bass at plus 5 , and it’s still not that much bass, and I can crank it to 38 no problem ,
Yeah...there's no way that's updated. I was rocking out with some buddies on a road trip last weekend, and we never got above 30. And my bass is set at -6.

greatone99

Reaction score
Yeah...there's no way that's updated. I was rocking out with some buddies on a road trip last weekend, and we never got above 30. And my bass is set at -6.
He said there will be another update in January over the air ,so hopefully ,that will do it ,I have a funny feeling mines not showing an update because of my build date 11-28-18, because it’s suppose to have it from the factory ,but it was not done at the factory

greatone99

Reaction score
There has to be a way to find out what firmware the amp has and what the new firmware is

greatone99

Reaction score
maybe mine is updated ,could be my ears ,my peak db was 112.5 db at 38 ,and 95 average at 26 -30 volume ,and I noticed bass actually is tighter at less bass levels like between minus 2 and plus 2 ,than set to plus 5 ,which seems to be muddy mess

John

Reaction score
Drop by your dealer and have the update installed! You'll be glad you did!

John

Brian bacik

Reaction score
Glad I found this group. After reading this I took my 19 longhorn in to have them update the software for the Harmon karden. You guys are right! What a friggin difference! Went from quiet and saddle to being able to feel the bass in your chest. Thanks for posting!
They have taken the update way too far....my 2019 limited... after listening for a while the bass is way too “ boomy” and loose..the only way for this is to work properly is to add a separate subwoofer control in the audio settings...I am shocked Ram did not think of this for this higher end audio system...Ram engineers ..please address

wildh24

Ram Guru
Reaction score
They have taken the update way too far....my 2019 limited... after listening for a while the bass is way too “ boomy” and loose..the only way for this is to work properly is to add a separate subwoofer control in the audio settings...I am shocked Ram did not think of this for this higher end audio system...Ram engineers ..please address

I'd second this. After unhooking the factory sub and installing an aftermarket one, the system is so much better! Linear bass vs that bongo boom. Also a 5 or 7 band equalizer would be great!

Gman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find that the muddiness of the bass is dependent on the source. Sirius XM sounds terrible. Pandora sounds great with tight, clean, solid bass. I'll probably cancel my SiriusXM subscription after the trial ends. I'd rather pay more for an increased cell data plan than to pay for crappy overcompressed satellite radio.

Brent T

Reaction score
Got my new truck today, fresh build, HK system sounds great. 30 is more than load enough. Couldn’t even attempt to visit at that.

MJP

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I find that the muddiness of the bass is dependent on the source. Sirius XM sounds terrible. Pandora sounds great with tight, clean, solid bass. I'll probably cancel my SiriusXM subscription after the trial ends. I'd rather pay more for an increased cell data plan than to pay for crappy overcompressed satellite radio.
Agreed sources make a big difference. Sirius sound quality sucks on any stereo. It's over compressed with low volume levels.

jniemuth

Reaction score
I had the update done to mine although I never had a problem with the volume or the sound quality before the update. Now, after the update, the bass is WAY to much. I have to have the bass setting all the way down to -9 for it to be acceptable. I am waiting for another update to address this.

Rototerrier

Reaction score
I think I may have found a good reason so many folks are happy with it vs those of us that aren't. I've been kinda scratching my head trying to figure out why so many folks get their panties in a wad when we mention the bass sucks or that we dislike the sound after the update.

I normally keep my bass between -6 and -9. That said, I hit the interstate for the first time in a while and once I was going 70+ mph, the wind noise pretty much drowns out the bass.

I work from home and spend almost all of my time driving on back roads and 55mph or lower roads and highways. At slower speeds, where wind noise is no issue, all you can hear is the boom boom boom of the bass. Once you get up above that, the wind and road drowns it out.

My best guess, now, is that everyone who loves the new louder boomier sound spend most of their driving time at higher speeds with more cabin noise. The rest of us, and I'm totally speculating here, spend more time and lower speeds where the sound system is clearer.

If I spent all my time running at 70-80 mph, I think I'd be perfectly fine with the bass as is....as I could hardly hear it over the rest of the road and wind noise.

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong here. Just throwing it out there as a possible reason for so much disagreement on the bass.

ium33

Reaction score
I did they said its updated, I think my ears r the problem lol

I have the same issue. I couldn't get my dealer to find the update although my truck was built during the time frame in TSB. A member here put me in contact with a dealer in Iowa. I called them, gave my VIN, and they said they found it. RAM got involved but could not find it.
I started to think it had been updated prior to me purchasing it but then I sat in a newer Limited with the HK. No comparison. The sound level at 8 (and equalizer settings all put on minimum) was louder and cleaner than my truck at 20 (with bass 5, mid 3, treble 5).

Maybe it is a good thing since some people are reporting the bass is too much. I have a couple 5 year olds that ride with me. Hopefully this OTA update will give us control.

Users who are viewing this thread