5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 w/ torque LOW MPG

fastarget

Reaction score
Interesting read, I wonder if on some of these trucks the etorque is putting a drag on the motor through a glitch in programming. Looking at an etorque limited with 3.92s most popular of what is ordered here in CO, although right next door in UT highway speeds are 80, too bad we can switch on demand :).

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Interesting read, I wonder if on some of these trucks the etorque is putting a drag on the motor through a glitch in programming. Looking at an etorque limited with 3.92s most popular of what is ordered here in CO, although right next door in UT highway speeds are 80, too bad we can switch on demand :).
You can switch on demand...sort of. If you get the 3.21 and use the "gear limit" to select 7th gear, it will have the about the same final drive ratio as the 3.92. If you don't tow often and drive above 70, I'd recommend the 3.21.

stevetom84

Reaction score
I picked my truck up today, 30 miles on the truck/3.21 axel. Drove home about 150 miles in 2wd, 90% highway at 65-75mph, the MPG gauge on the truck for the trip indicated 20.7mpg. This was driving from north of Atlanta to Knoxville, so not entirely flat.

Jando

Reaction score
I'm getting 12.5mpg avg. have the etorque 5.7, 3.92 rear end..... conservative driver. My tundra was doing better. I just hit a little over 1000 miles.

foolsh1

Reaction score
I average about 17.5 mpg with 3.92's. As others have said, how heavy is your foot and your truck specs? Remeber the E-Torque is only supposed to help 1-2mpg at best, where it really shines is in the start stop (so smooth compared to those starter style stop/starts), and there is no meter to show how much it is saving? I really got mine for the 130lbs instant torque for pulling, I believe it should be a helper there on take off with a load? Probably turn off the start/stop when towing

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I hand calculated 15.1 mpg with my fill up today, granted I have been doing a lot of stop and go driving on this tank but I would like to see a comparison of Etorque to non etorque trucks similarly equipped.

Zinger

Reaction score
I average about 17.5 mpg with 3.92's. As others have said, how heavy is your foot and your truck specs? Remeber the E-Torque is only supposed to help 1-2mpg at best, where it really shines is in the start stop (so smooth compared to those starter style stop/starts), and there is no meter to show how much it is saving? I really got mine for the 130lbs instant torque for pulling, I believe it should be a helper there on take off with a load? Probably turn off the start/stop when towing

I haven't verified it, but I believe tow/haul mode deactivates start/stop automatically.

anthtony

Reaction score
I love my limited, but I'm not getting anywhere near EPA estimates, either (and I'm a conservative driver). It sounds like we are not alone, though. Check out this video from TFL Truck:

Zinger

Reaction score
I love my limited, but I'm not getting anywhere near EPA estimates, either (and I'm a conservative driver). It sounds like we are not alone, though. Check out this video from TFL Truck:

I wasn't overly surprised at this. Let's look at some facts:

1. We know the 22MPG highway rating for a Rebel is not correct. It has 3.92 gears, rides higher, and has much heavier tires. The real rating is somewhere nearer to 20MPG

2. I believe they were doing 70MPH on the highway if I recall correctly. This is out of line with EPA testing guidelines. That's why all trucks were lower than their stated EPA numbers.

3. The Ram isn't broken in.

Given they got 17.9 on the second trip with the Rebel, I'd say they're really not that far off if off at all. If they did a test to EPA standards they probably would see nearer to 20MPG, which would be pretty close to what the real EPA MPG is for this truck.

Honestly I was happy to see they even got 17.9 out of it at those speeds. That's basically in line with my expectation, since I NEVER get EPA numbers on any of my vehicles, and I'm not a hard driver at all. My wife neither. There are so many variables to MPG and the EPA testing is about as pie-in-the-sky as it gets. Basically perfect driving situation numbers. Reality isn't perfect.

For reference, here are some of the vehicles I've owned and driven over the years:
1. 2001 Dakota 4.7L - 15MPG all the time. I forget the rating, but it was definitely higher.
2. 2004 Pontiac GTO - rated 17/29 I believe. You couldn't get 29MPG out of this car if you drove it off a clif.
3. 2002 Ford Explorer 4.0L - 15MPG
4. 2003 Ford Expedition 5.4L - I actually think I get the EPA numbers with this, which is 12 MPG!
5. 2015 Durango 3.6 Pentastar - again, forget what this one is but my wife gets like 17 average because it's mostly crappy driving to/from work and short trips around shuttling kids. On a trip I think I got it to 21MPG once (me driving)

So overall with my limited range of vehicle experience, I've learned the EPA numbers are rarely attainable, so I don't get too crazy about it. Is there a lack of truth on the sticker? For a Rebel, yes. I knew that going in but I can see how the average buyer might be surprised, and I blame the EPA and the manufacturers for not making options that affect MPG more clear.

fastarget

Reaction score
I agree with what you are saying, and EPA ratings should be different, not sure why they are the same for lifted and non, bigger tires and standard etc on the Ram line, tow mirrors make a difference........ As an example(only) Nissan has different EPA ratings for the platinum reserve than the Pro 4, the Pro 4 is one mpg less on the window sticker. But some of the cases listed on this forum are way below the EPA ratings, 30%, that is way off.

lasstss

Reaction score
I have the 3:92 axle & e torque. Right now average is 15.7-16.1. Only have 500 miles on it. Havent done a trip yet. Hard part is not stabbing the go pedal! Breaks the tires fairly easily.

Chinto78

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have had my 2019 RAM 1500 5.7 lt e torque for a little over a month now and cannot get more than 17mpg on highway. it was supposed to get over 22mpg, but I'm not even close !!! I'm curious as to what you all are getting .... this is about 20% less than advertised.
Same thing here can't get over 17mpg, I used to get 21mpg on my 2014

slimchance

Reaction score
eTorque will NOT give you the 130#s torque boost because in Tow/Haul the stop/start is turned OFF thus no eTorque boost

slimchance

Reaction score
before you all talk about low mpg you need to go look at the "idle hours" on your trks ...

Attachments

• 20190302_151504_resized.jpg
    20190302_151504_resized.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 22

anthtony

Reaction score
The best I've ever done is 20.1 mpg highway over 312 miles. That was keeping cruise locked on 65 and not stopping. With mixed driving I'm averaging 14.9. Not impressed with the mileage at all. That said, I absolutely love this truck. Best/nicest vehicle I've ever owned.

Patriot RAM

Reaction score
I am averaging about 17-18 MPG on my daily driving 38 mile trip to work half HWY(65 cruse) and city(45-50). last week I tried different speeds to see what happens. doing 60 and 45 it jumped to 19.5 average. this is a limited with air suspension in AERO mode.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
As I’ve hit the 3k mile marker. I’m around 17.5-18mpg mixed driving everyday. I also drive it harder then when lower/breaking miles. Going on a good trip next weekend so I’ll touch back on pure highway mpg.

And to agree with slim. My idle to drive hours are super low. That idle time will kill mileage

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The best I've ever done is 20.1 mpg highway over 312 miles. That was keeping cruise locked on 65 and not stopping. With mixed driving I'm averaging 14.9. Not impressed with the mileage at all. That said, I absolutely love this truck. Best/nicest vehicle I've ever owned.
Interesting numbers. I drove my 2019 Ram Limited on a round trip of about 900 miles when it had a little over 1000 miles on the odometer. 90% of the trip was interstate and I drove it at about 65 mph. My average was in line with yours. My truck's performance is better than what I expected. I came from a 2011 Avalanche that weighed in at 5259 # with a 5.3L engine. My Ram with options weighs about 6321 pounds and has the 5.7L non-etorque engine. I drove the same trip with my Avalanche many times and usually averaged around the same 20-21 mpg. So, my truck weighs about a 1000 # more, is probably less aerodynamic, but I still am getting decent mpg. Couldn't be happier. On, one other probably important fact, both vehicles had/have similar style tires, that is LT type tires, not off road type. My mpg around the suburban area I live in is similar to yours, 14.5-15.5 mpg. Almost forgot, I think a lot of RAM owners purchase for the "hemi experience". I did not, because I have never purchased or owned a vehicle because of that kind of factor. That being said, I now get it, this truck does have a "little attitude", right from the factory, not after adding a bunch of after market stuff.

Last edited:

alangsam

Reaction score
GMC motors have direct injection and aluminum blocks ( less weight) and a better mds. They get better mileage as does the ford ecoboost. That said your configuration and driving style will greatly impact mileage. EPA is tested at 56 mph. If you drive at 80 you will get mich less
If you have 392 vs 321 gears you will get much less mileage.
4x4 va 4x2 gets worse mileage.

The only truck that gets worse mileage is the tundra.

Luckily gas is 225 a gallon!

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Staff online

Members online