5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 w/ torque LOW MPG

lasstss

Reaction score
GMC motors have direct injection and aluminum blocks ( less weight) and a better mds. They get better mileage as does the ford ecoboost. That said your configuration and driving style will greatly impact mileage. EPA is tested at 56 mph. If you drive at 80 you will get mich less
If you have 392 vs 321 gears you will get much less mileage.
4x4 va 4x2 gets worse mileage.

The only truck that gets worse mileage is the tundra.

Luckily gas is 225 a gallon!
I have 3:92's and I average 16.5 around town and I stab it occasionally. I have a crew and its still easy to bust em loose.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting numbers. I drove my 2019 Ram Limited on a round trip of about 900 miles when it had a little over 1000 miles on the odometer. 90% of the trip was interstate and I drove it at about 65 mph. My average was in line with yours. My truck's performance is better than what I expected. I came from a 2011 Avalanche that weighed in at 5259 # with a 5.3L engine. My Ram with options weighs about 6321 pounds and has the 5.7L non-etorque engine. I drove the same trip with my Avalanche many times and usually averaged around the same 20-21 mpg. So, my truck weighs about a 1000 # more, is probably less aerodynamic, but I still am getting decent mpg. Couldn't be happier. On, one other probably important fact, both vehicles had/have similar style tires, that is LT type tires, not off road type. My mpg around the suburban area I live in is similar to yours, 14.5-15.5 mpg. Almost forgot, I think a lot of RAM owners purchase for the "hemi experience". I did not, because I was never purchased or owned a vehicle because of that kind of factor. That being said, I now get it, this truck does have a "little attitude", right from the factory, not after adding a bunch of after market stuff.
The heaviest factory-optioned Ram 1500 possible weighs just over 6,000 lbs. I know - it’s mine. Just curious what aftermarket parts brought you up to >6,300 lbs?

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The heaviest factory-optioned Ram 1500 possible weighs just over 6,000 lbs. I know - it’s mine. Just curious what aftermarket parts brought you up to >6,300 lbs?
Wasn't trying to be misleading, just pointing out difference in weight between my Avalanche and RAM. I did not take it to a scale. I calculated it based on the weight information on my door sill, for available payload, 1359 lbs. Subtracted my payload, 1359 lbs from design payload, 1840 lbs, for 481 lbs of options(?). Added 481lbs to base weight of 5840 lbs for a total of 6321 lbs. If I made a mistake, I apologize, but the point is, definitely higher weight, definitely less aero, but still, for me reasonably good mpg. Did not include any after market options in these calculations. And you say yours weighs just over 6000 lbs, I assume that is a scale weight (without after market options) you are quoting? And....if this is a contest for the heaviest truck, ….you can win!

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
eTorque will NOT give you the 130#s torque boost because in Tow/Haul the stop/start is turned OFF thus no eTorque boost
Start/stop is one of several eTorque functions. I've not seen any documentation that says eTorque is disabled completely. I wish a complete explanation of eTorque was available instead of the bits and pieces we have now.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Wasn't trying to be misleading, just pointing out difference in weight between my Avalanche and RAM. I did not take it to a scale. I calculated it based on the weight information on my door sill, for available payload, 1359 lbs. Subtracted my payload, 1359 lbs for design payload, 1840 lbs, for 481 lbs of options(?). Added 481lbs to base weight of 5840 lbs for a total of 6321 lbs. If I made a mistake, I apologize, but the point is, definitely higher weight, definitely less aero, but still, for me reasonably good mpg.
I believe my fully optioned Limited 4x4 with Off--Road Group and Ramboxes tips the scales at just under 6100. Add my weight, the tools I carry, and the bedstep and I'm easily at 6400+.

I'm averaging 16.8 mpg with 40/60 city highway lately with little regard for driving economically. I can get 17-18 if I try. Better on highway trips. 20 mpg is as good as it gets with the 3.92 rear end unless I stay under 50 mph on flat ground. I stay at Aero ride height at all times. Tires are at 46 front 41 rear psi for the Falken Wildpeak AT3 tires.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Wasn't trying to be misleading, just pointing out difference in weight between my Avalanche and RAM. I did not take it to a scale. I calculated it based on the weight information on my door sill, for available payload, 1359 lbs. Subtracted my payload, 1359 lbs from design payload, 1840 lbs, for 481 lbs of options(?). Added 481lbs to base weight of 5840 lbs for a total of 6321 lbs. If I made a mistake, I apologize, but the point is, definitely higher weight, definitely less aero, but still, for me reasonably good mpg. Did not include any after market options in these calculations. And you say yours weighs just over 6000 lbs, I assume that is a scale weight (without after market options) you are quoting?
No worries; it’s just that your truck wouldn’t even be a half-ton at those numbers. Take your GVWR (either 6,900 or 7,100) and subtract your payload to arrive at truck weight. Assuming yours is 7,100, then we have 7,100 - 1,359 = 5,741 lbs. This number is required to be accurate from the manufacturer, and several forum members have confirmed it to be right on the money. For comparison, my payload sticker shows 1,069 lbs, or 290 lbs heavier.

Your comparison between the Avalanche and Ram is still valid, but the difference in weight is only a few hundred pounds.

Last edited:

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe my fully optioned Limited 4x4 with Off--Road Group and Ramboxes tips the scales at 6100. Add my weight, the tools I carry, and the bedstep and I'm easily at 6400+.

I'm averaging 16.8 mpg with 40/60 city highway lately with little regard for driving economically. I can get 17-18 if I try. Better on highway trips. 20 mpg is as good as it gets with the 3.92 rear end unless I stay under 50 mph on flat ground. I stay at Aero ride height at all times.
I do have the 3.21 rear end. No Off-Road Group or Ramboxes. Perhaps some benefit from a hard tonneau cover and front wind deflector(LOL).

duke2001

Ram Guru
Reaction score
No worries; it’s just that your truck wouldn’t even be a half-ton st those numbers. Take your GVWR (either 6,900 or 7,100) and subtract your payload to arrive at truck weight. Assuming yours is 7,100, then we have 7,100 - 1,359 = 5,741 lbs. This number is required to be accurate from the manufacturer, and several forum members have confirmed it to be right on the money. For comparison, my payload sticker shows 1,069 lbs, or 290 lbs heavier.

Your comparison between the Avalanche and Ram is still valid, but the difference in weight is only a few hundred pounds.
Yes, if I were to ever want to tow anything serious, I would definitely head down to the scales to be sure I didn't screw up.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I believe my fully optioned Limited 4x4 with Off--Road Group and Ramboxes tips the scales at 6100. Add my weight, the tools I carry, and the bedstep and I'm easily at 6400+.

I'm averaging 16.8 mpg with 40/60 city highway lately with little regard for driving economically. I can get 17-18 if I try. Better on highway trips. 20 mpg is as good as it gets with the 3.92 rear end unless I stay under 50 mph on flat ground. I stay at Aero ride height at all times.
If it’s equipped like @Edwards, it probably has a payload sticker of 1,140 or so (IIRC). Like you, I’ve added the bed step and carry a few extra items (including my own weight). You can see my lifetime economy in mixed driving is averaging right around 15 mpg. And while I do drive with economy in mind, I also run 75 mph on the tollway a fair amount.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If it’s equipped like @Edwards, it probably has a payload sticker of 1,140 or so (IIRC). Like you, I’ve added the bed step and carry a few extra items (including my own weight). You can see my lifetime economy in mixed driving is averaging right around 15 mpg. And while I do drive with economy in mind, I also run 75 mph on the tollway a fair amount.
I live in relatively flat area and my daily commute is 8 miles on rural 2 lane at 45 mph with 1 stop sign. If I was in hills with more congestion and stops, I'm sure mine would drop 1-2 mpg. With my terrain, I can hold it in ECO mode 95% of my commute.

I run 70-75 on 4 lane and definitely see a reduction with the 3.92. I'm too impatient to creep along at 55-60 which is much more economical. I've experimented with optimized driving and can keep the average at 20 mpg if I avoid 60+ and don't use the cruise control. It's good to have a baseline so I can tell if anything changes.

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wish a complete explanation of eTorque was available instead of the bits and pieces we have now.

There's plenty of info about it across the forums, including a video from Ram's Product Lead for the new trucks, who explains the functions and reasoning behind all six eTorque operating modes. When disabling Stop / Start (which is one of the functions), the eTorque system just doesn't shut down the engine at stoplights, that's the only difference. It still operates as usual while moving. It's a Stop / Start disable button, not an eTorque MGU disable button.

I will say, there's some misinformation in this thread as well, so read with a grain of salt, and def search that video from Ram.

Chevytraitor

Reaction score
Hey guys, i have had my 2019 RAM 1500 5.7 lt e torque for a little over a month now and cannot get more than 17mpg on highway. it was supposed to get over 22mpg, but I'm not even close !!! I'm curious as to what you all are getting .... this is about 20% less than advertised.
I was told by the dealer if you drive in 4wd Auto you’ll get better mpg’s and ive been doing it for a month now and averaging three mpg more

Neurobit

RAM Sorcerer
Reaction score
I was told by the dealer if you drive in 4wd Auto you’ll get better mpg’s and ive been doing it for a month now and averaging three mpg more
You were told wrong. Parasitic loss will make it a tad worse, not better.
Nice try though...

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/