5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 w/ torque LOW MPG

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I just got 20.4 mpg on the cluster on a 60 mile trip today. Fairly flat, no cruise, and adjusting (or holding steady) the throttle to keep it in ECO mode. That means losing a few mph up mild hills. I ran 55 to 70 on divided 4 lanes and passed through 4 small cities with 40 mph speed limits and 6 stop lights total. The cluster showed 22.4 much of the way and dropped when I hit some larger hills anf had to go through security and navigate through a large factory parking lot.

The truck can delivery better economy if you know how and want to. It's a choice, not a problem.

JDiMassa8

Reaction score
I just got 20.4 mpg on the cluster on a 60 mile trip today. Fairly flat, no cruise, and adjusting (or holding steady) the throttle to keep it in ECO mode. That means losing a few mph up mild hills. I ran 55 to 70 on divided 4 lanes and passed through 4 small cities with 40 mph speed limits and 6 stop lights total. The cluster showed 22.4 much of the way and dropped when I hit some larger hills anf had to go through security and navigate through a large factory parking lot.

The truck can delivery better economy if you know how and want to. It's a choice, not a problem.
Unless you drive 2.4 miles to work everyday with 6 stop lights and never going above 30mph. Nothing can improve here. Lol

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score

The cluster has been an unreliable source to estimate MPG for me (and others)...have you doubled checked the calculations?

Zinger

Reaction score
I drove 3 eTorque Rebels berfore purchasing mine this past Monday.

The first one was definitely a pre October build, as is mine. The other two were built in October.

Mine and the first one both showed 13.5 avg MPG on the meter with minimal miles. The October builds both were over 15 mpg with the same mileage.

I saw this TSB:

October 23, 2018 - Flash - Hybrid Control Processor (HCP) Updates - # 08-139-18

Is it possible this had some impact on fuel economy on the later builds? Since this is a TSB, would a dealer apply this automatically during pre-delivery or only if a problem is mentioned? I don't know if I have it or not, but after driving home 70 miles on the highway I only managed to creep the average up to 14.7mpg.

Ortiz7983

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I’m getting 13.7 mpg city. I live in Austin. There is a lot of up and down road when I go to work. So MDS doesn’t turn on as much. I also drive with a tad heavy foot. When I did take a trip to Dallas, I got 18.6 mpg at 70-72 mph. I feel if I had kept going, it would have gone up some more. Time will tell.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Laramie sport, crew cab, 4x4 w/off road package all terrain tires. Etorque with 3.21 gears all stock with exception of charcoal filter removed. Just rolled 500 miles on it. All my driving has been in town, no long trips. Mixed city and highway I’m floating around 17mpg. As I’m still breaking in if you. So I don’t hold steady speeds , fluctuate rpms, load engine up at low rpm in high gears, blah blah blah.
It’s between seasons where I live so will note it’s not to cold or hot atm. So most of my comfort is with heated or cooled seat by itself. I do remote start it in am to head to work. 5-10min depending on temperature.

Last edited:

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The cluster has been an unreliable source to estimate MPG for me (and others)...have you doubled checked the calculations?
Only twice. It was within 0.2 both times. My old Excursion and previous GM vehicles where off as much as 10%. Lie-o-meters. My only thought is that my reading is relative to what others running stock are seeing on their displays. Any upsize on tires or tuning renders the mpg calculation useless.

OSUPokes

Reaction score
My 2019 5.7 E-torque Laramie has been pretty poor since I got it. Have just over 3000 miles on it now but only seeing 14-15mpg combined, 12-13 city and at best see about 18mpg on the highway, far from what they state. I traded in a 2015 6.2L GMC Sierra 1500 that I was able to get 21 on the highway and 15 city all day long (as advertised) so I was hoping I would at least see that with this truck which was dead on what they advertised, pretty bummed...

I’m right there with you. Seeing combined 12.8 MPG, roughly 14-15 MGP highway on a 350 mile trip.

Only 800miles so far. i didn’t buy this truck for fuel economy, but Wow...

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
All things considered, I really can't complain about the MPG,

I had an FX2 F150 Tremor that Ford paired a 4.10 rear end and the 3.5 Ecoboost,

2WD Truck 2 DOOR, I averaged 15.9 to 16, Unless I was in a headwind then 13 because well if the turbo's were boosting you're sucking.

So here I am with a Larger engine with two more cylinders AND 4WD, and I'm breaking even with that MPG thus-far, So... Really it's Impressive.

My truck kinda reminds me of my Tremor actually, But..better.

LBTRS

Reaction score
I only have 250 miles so far but was pleasantly surprised with my 16 mpg combined I'm getting currently. It continues to climb the more I drive it. I hope the trend continues.

I could only get 14.8 mpg combined out of my 3.5L EcoBoost in my 2014 F-150 Platinum 4x4 that the RAM replaced. I'm happy so far.

S

Smashy71

I only have 250 miles so far but was pleasantly surprised with my 16 mpg combined I'm getting currently. It continues to climb the more I drive it. I hope the trend continues.

I could only get 14.8 mpg combined out of my 3.5L EcoBoost in my 2014 F-150 Platinum 4x4 that the RAM replaced. I'm happy so far.
I’ve got 2900 on my non etorque so far my best tank 16.8

Dustin

IT Geek, Adventure Junkie
Reaction score
I have a Laramie 4x4 with 20" wheels w/ the 3.21 I have been averaging right at 21.5 mpg in mixed city hwy driving. However, yesterday I looked down and saw that my average for my current tank is 23.8 mpg. I'm really happy with my mpg as it is better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.

ExcursionDiesel

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a Laramie 4x4 with 20" wheels w/ the 3.21 I have been averaging right at 21.5 mpg in mixed city hwy driving. However, yesterday I looked down and saw that my average for my current tank is 23.8 mpg. I'm really happy with my mpg as it is better than my Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk.
You sir know how to drive for economy. The truck will deliver if you've got the skills and desire.

Users who are viewing this thread