5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 My thoughts and opinions after 25,000 miles

Laksha

Reaction score
Hello everyone,,

1583488469190.png

Just got home for the year and rolled over to 25,000 miles, so I decided I'd give my piece of the pie to someone who is looking at getting one or to whomever. Also figured that there isn't many 19's with this many miles that have their word out.
Truck Info (All the options that I got):
2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab 4x4 6'4" bed Granite Crystal
5.7 HEMI with eTorque
Bucket Seats with Full Center Console
LED Lighting Group
Sport Appearance Package
Trailer Tow GroupBed Utility Group
Level 2 Equipment Group
33-Gallon Fuel Tank
Alpine Sound SystemUconnect 4C
Blind-Spot system
E-Locker Rear Axle (3.92 Ratio)
Engine Block Heater
Protection Group
Panoramic Sunroof
Service history: reversephonelookup.onl/ curated.onl/nba-reddit/ pcbuilder.onl/pcpartpicker/
April 2018 When I first got the truck 300 miles from Central Colorado to Southern Wyoming my rear brakes starting squealing with moderate to heavy braking. Also when first pulling out in the morning or the first time it moves it makes this god awful rubbing noise but not again even when stopping or 2 to 3 hours and starting again or after I move about 15 feet it'll stop and not happen again. Always makes the horrible noise in reverse, however. This problem STILL at 20,000 miles, hasn't been fixed at all from 3 different dealers I've gone too, and it's really loud and annoying. I noticed that the leather on the steering wheel at the bottom wasn't lined up on the bottom, something small but it bothered me, mentioned this to the dealer and they did nothing about it. (We'll come back to the steering wheel in a while) Also, the top center storage compartment squeaked when opening, closing and putting any weight on it. Dealer applied some kind of lubricant and it fixed the problem, till recently (I think the cold did it) and it started again. Also, like all 3 other Ram trucks I've owned and bought new, I had to get an alignment.
(2,300 miles) I was on a dirt road and hit a bump HARD. Got this message on the gauge display "Active Tuned Mass Module Temporarily Unavailable" this continued for about 3 days and came up every 30 minutes on the dot.Dealer found that I broke the motor inside of the drive side module and replaced it. They also installed a service bulletin that was to solve the hood deflection when there are strong winds. It was basically glue in-between the under-hood cover and the metal. Didn't help at all.
(3,900 miles) Every time I would close the tailgate it would still show that it was open.Dealer replaced the tailgate sensor and the issue continued. I found that slam it shut hard about 20 times, and after that, you can close it normally and then it senses it fine. (Must have to get worn in or something cause I tried this with 2 other ones and that was the case, slam about 20, then it's fine sorry FCA for wasting a couple sensors and the dealer, but it was only a couple hours of labor)
November 2018
11/22 (15,400 miles) I remote started the truck and got tired up with Thanksgiving. So it turned off after the 15 minutes. About 10 minutes after it turned it off I remoted started it again. After pulling out of my driveway the check engine light came on and stayed on. Took it to the dealer the next day, and it was a cylinder 8 misfire. I was leaving for a couple days and the service advisor cleared the code and said it should be fine as long as it doesn't come up again.
11/26 (20,100 miles) Was coming back home and the interstate closed so I hung out in my truck for the night. Had it idling for about an hour then turned it off. It was for about an hour and a half and I started it for about 20 minutes, let it idle so I could heat up the cabin. Off again, and then again, about an hour and a half later started it and long behold, check engine light. Took it to the dealer this morning and once again cylinder 8 misfire.
12/05 (21.998 miles) Dealer found that the injector 8 was bad. Replaced the injector. They also finally took the time to look at my brake problem. They cleaned everything and said they looked good, it stopped for about 2 days but started up again.
12/21 (25,772 miles) Dealer put new brake pads and rotors on all 4 tires, and finally, the brake noise fixed.

Cons (I guess)
I'm 6'3" and about 240 and when I'm walking in the bed of the truck, I can feel the bottom flexing some, just a little, and I know, I'm weird, but I went and stood in a last gen 1500, and didn't notice it. Walking and jumped in a couple other new gen beds and only noticed it in the 6'4" beds.
Standing in the back seat in the center, I can also feel the floor flex some, much more than I'd like, again, weird.
When going highway speeds with some good headwind the hood bends downward in the center near the windshield. There was a service bulletin put out but I didn't help at all on mine.
The steering wheel has worn like absolute sh*t. I'll attach a photo later, but it's all spotted and looks really back, also the leather is still sideways on the bottom.
Ram has some QC issues. The steering wheel for an example. Also, I have Laramie trim around my Uconnect screen and on the back of the center console. The seat belt buckles had a whole bunch of sharp pieces that were left over from when I assume they got molded (nothing a file didn't fix)
The reverse lights are garbage (even with the LED ones)
Why do I not have power folding on my tow mirrors? I think they're going to copy the last gens and only put power folding tow mirrors on the HDs. Also, wish they had auto dimming
Pros and my thoughts with whatever else I type:
I've been averaging 19.8 MPG with 50% highway driving and 50% hard dirt roads, city.
The LED headlights are amazing.
4 wheel drive auto is actually worth something now.
The sunroof is amazing.
Background of me cause why not:
I'm a network engineer in Central Wyoming and go all over Wyoming, Eastern Utah, and Northern Colorado. Often spend a lot of time in Loveland, Colorado wasting money and time but I love it there. The guys I work with nicknamed my truck "Sludge" or "Sludgie". I don't get it but I assume they don't like the color.
My past vehicles:
2016 Ram 3500 Laramie (94,000 miles still going strong)
2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Power Wagon (I miss this truck so much, sold it)
2017 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax (I have no clue why I bought this... sold it after 600 miles and made about $3,000. I have no clue what's wrong with Chevy people)
2017 Dodge Charger SXT AWD (Older lady decided to hit me, and her Buick won)
2017 Ram Rebel (Dealer buyback, long story)
2017 Ram 1500 Laramie Longhorn (FCA buyback, long story)
2018 Dodge Durango SRT (still own this)
and the Ram that is talked about above.
TLDR: Yeah it's had some problems, but I still love this truck, and if you're reading and considering buying this truck, I hope that it is at the top of your list. (2018 Truck of the Year!)

Attachments

• 1583488475571.png
    1583488475571.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 95
Last edited:

bigoldthor

Reaction score
Well you seem to have had your share of issues...sorry to hear that. But you also seem to have a pretty good attitude about it. You must have gotten one of the first ones based on the the April-2018 purchase date. Maybe that's part of the problem but I guess there's no way to know.

At any rate, hope the worst is behind you and you continue to enjoy your truck.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome and thanks for taking the time to give an honest assessment of all the good, the bad and the ugly. Very refreshing. I hope the next 250k are pure enjoyment!

Rambeaux

Reaction score
I hope you're able to enjoy the truck more with some of the "issues" fixed. A couple of friends of mine once had a transitional or first year jeep wrangler unlimited when they came out. It had a lot of problems & was the only wrangler unlimited i personally knew of that was 2 wheel drive. It sounds like they rushed yours out in production, on top of it being a transitional model. Have you test drove or rode in later year models & found any differences?

Users who are viewing this thread