5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 Limited will not start

Tarheel63

Reaction score
New to the forum and definitely not a gear head so bear with me. Lent my truck to my 20 year old son (first mistake) yesterday, and now this morning the truck will not start. Lights, dashboard all come on so getting some power. Checked battery and registers 12.54 volts cold with MM. Tried to jump truck with wife's Honda CRV and no luck. Researched on line and found that perhaps the truck could be placed in neutral using the orange latch release under the parking brake. I removed the panel and manually placed in neutral using the latch. Tried to start and still nothing. Is it possible that my son turned the vehicle off while not in park and somehow this triggers some safety feature that prevents me from starting the truck? I would like to avoid enriching my local dealer's service department anymore than I have to especially a quick fix is available. Thanks for any and all assistance.

jws1982

Reaction score
Need more details. When you try to start it, is the engine turning over / cranking? Or, is nothing happening at all?

Not sure if this is related to your son. I’d think any damage a 20yr old would do would show up externally. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tarheel63

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick replay. The engine does not turn over at all. All dashboard system lights come on and UCONNECT system as well. There is also that dreaded click as well though not a continuous clicking.

jws1982

Reaction score
If jumping it didn’t change anything, then my first guess is a bad starter. Don’t rule out the battery yet though.

Curious, is it etorque or not?

Tarheel63

Reaction score
Not an etorque. Going to remove the battery and get it checked. Anyway to diagnose a bad starter? If anyone has any pertinent video links, please provide. Thanks.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
There's really nothing your son could have done that would have caused this, unless he purposely meant to break something. Leaving it in gear when shutting off the engine will not cause any system to lock out and prevent you from starting the engine. You might want to let him know this. If he's anything like my son, he's probably a bit stressed about possibly breaking your expensive truck.

Tarheel63

Reaction score
Ok. First, let me assure you my son is emotionally unscathed from this event. I can't speak for the father. I checked the mat already having read online about the gas pedal being inadvertently depressed by the floor mat. All good. I took the battery to Auto Zone, and the battery is GTG at 91% charge. So, where does this leave me other than a tow to the dealer, an expensive admission of defeat. Anyway to eliminate the alternator as a cause? Is it the likely the starter and if so, how can I confirm? I was really hoping there was a simple solution here, but hope is fading. All serious suggestions are appreciated.

Scram1500

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I wouldn't rule out the battery yet, it may have 91% charge, but it still could be toast. The battery needs to be load tested to check it's discharge rate

djevox

VP of Creative Thinking
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Ok. First, let me assure you my son is emotionally unscathed from this event. I can't speak for the father. I checked the mat already having read online about the gas pedal being inadvertently depressed by the floor mat. All good. I took the battery to Auto Zone, and the battery is GTG at 91% charge. So, where does this leave me other than a tow to the dealer, an expensive admission of defeat. Anyway to eliminate the alternator as a cause? Is it the likely the starter and if so, how can I confirm? I was really hoping there was a simple solution here, but hope is fading. All serious suggestions are appreciated.
Autozone doesn’t know what they’re doing (they barely get any training) and their equipment doesn’t do a great job of testing. Either take the battery to the dealer or find a shop that has a new style electronic tester or an old style carbon pile load tester.

MO Rebel

Reaction score
Do you just totally distrust your dealer service department? A 2019 should still be under warranty unless you’re over 36K. If it were me, I’d just have it towed to the dealer.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Do you just totally distrust your dealer service department? A 2019 should still be under warranty unless you’re over 36K. If it were me, I’d just have it towed to the dealer.
Considering that 2019's were first available around August 2018, a large percentage of them are now more than 36 months old and out of warranty. My daughter's warranty on her 2019 Rebel expired in late August of last year.

jws1982

Reaction score
Not an etorque. Going to remove the battery and get it checked. Anyway to diagnose a bad starter? If anyone has any pertinent video links, please provide. Thanks.

Hit the starter a few times with a rubber mallet. If the starter has a dead spot, that can shift it enough to clear it. If that works, then it’ll start u til the starter stops in that dead spot again. You would need to have the starter replaced.

KWKSLVR

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hit the starter a few times with a rubber mallet. If the starter has a dead spot, that can shift it enough to clear it. If that works, then it’ll start u til the starter stops in that dead spot again. You would need to have the starter replaced.

This ^^^^ as well as replacing the battery, in that order. I have seen so many reports of crap OEM batteries in Rams that crap out after a year or two.

I doubt your son did anything to break the truck.

ShortStack

Reaction score
Click, click, click - Battery. I've had battery read 12.5 and one that read 13 and it had a loose or broken cell inside and would do nothing but click.
(took the battery to a friends shop who took it apart)

I agree with River Rat - get a battery with a few more CCA.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Hey I am having the same issue with my 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie. Battery is good as I just replaced it. I had taken it to the dealership that I bought it from, but apparently it started up just fine for them, so they said it was fine. They "claimed" they checked the battery and found it to be OK. The truck seemed to be fine for a month after I got it back from the dealership. Unfortunately, it did it again.....so any updates on this issue?? Any help would greatly be appreciated.

Last edited:

OldMarine

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 19 Limited, oem battery crapped out about 2 months ago. The symptom was , it was fine one day, next morning, turn on, everything lit up...press to start, then electronics went batty...then no power. Charged up battery for an hour...still no good. Got new battery at NAPA down the street....been fine since. I suspect battery in your case. Starters are not known to be bad on these trucks.

wejimajoo

Reaction score
2019 Laramie, Been dealing with this for 3 months. Started as a click, but would start after a few "click" attempts, replaced battery, started but was still a slower turnover, all was well until yesterday. Hit the button, click again.
I hooked up my charger and tried again, it clicked.. then almost instantly turned over but super slow. ( Keep in mind, brand new battery).
What happened
The starter was going bad, and the draw from the failing starter killed the last battery. The new battery was able to handle it for a time, but now the failing starter is taking to much draw.
Dived in and replaced the starter, not as bad as you think, ( take the stabilizer bar brackets off, HUGE time saver). SHABAM. problem solved, starts like a new truck again, even today at -3.
Once I pulled the starter I instantly saw the problem......this thing is TINY, definitely not made to last.
Hope this helps
2019 Laramie
126k miles

Users who are viewing this thread