5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Limited tailgate cannot lock

namhoang22

Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to this forum. I just got my 2019 Ram 1500 two days ago. I can't lock my tailgate. I look around in the setup but there is not setting for me to set to lock the tailgate. My 2015 Ram 1500 can lock the tailgate when I lock my truck. Don't know why the 2019 can't. Have anyone experience the same thing? thanks.

KJRam

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sorry didn’t realize it was in the title.

namhoang22

Reaction score
Can someone with Limited trim check? I think this is some issue but not sure. I can go back to dealer and complaint tomorrow :)

M

Mdegen93

Can someone with Limited trim check? I think this is some issue but not sure. I can go back to dealer and complaint tomorrow :)
My Laramie locks. It’s the same electronic release yours has. Get it looked at

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hello All,

I am new to this forum. I just got my 2019 Ram 1500 two days ago. I can't lock my tailgate. I look around in the setup but there is not setting for me to set to lock the tailgate. My 2015 Ram 1500 can lock the tailgate when I lock my truck. Don't know why the 2019 can't. Have anyone experience the same thing? thanks.
It locks by default (along with RamBoxes) when you lock the truck. If it’s not working, it’s defective or not fully closed.

Edwards

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Also possible that you have bent pins in the tailgate connector from when they sprayed the bedliner. If you confirm it's not locked with the key NOT on you, you can try removing the tailgate to check out the connectors and straighten out any bent pins. Or have a cup of coffee while you watch the dealer do it.

namhoang22

Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will let you guy know what happen. Hope no one would see issue like me

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I will let you guy know what happen. Hope no one would see issue like me

You've likely got your fob in your pocket and the tailgate unlocks like your front doors...... Touch. Lock your truck, leave your fob in the house then go out and try and open the tailgate. I'm betting it'll be locked.

Jordan2929

Reaction score
Like jus cruisin said, the tailgate has the passive entry feature so when you go near it with the fob, it will allow you to open it. It doesn't make a noise when it unlocks because they are electronic. Leave the fob inside and it won't open

namhoang22

Reaction score
Hello Jus Cruisin, thanks you, you are correct, that's exactly what happen to me. I keep having my FOB in my pocket that's why it's unlock. Once I leave my key in my house, the tailgate is lock. Thank you so much for your help.

JPFoss

Reaction score
My tailgate would not close as of yesterday ,I've tried leaving my fob in the house, did not help? I've checked to see if the pins are lined up and they are. I'm thinking it's a bit in the software program that needs to be reset. Visiting dealer tomorrow, not happy about new truck acting up already!

geotex1

Reaction score
My tailgate would not close as of yesterday ,I've tried leaving my fob in the house, did not help? I've checked to see if the pins are lined up and they are. I'm thinking it's a bit in the software program that needs to be reset. Visiting dealer tomorrow, not happy about new truck acting up already!

Try slamming, well not like violently, the tailgate a half-dozen times and checking again. The tailgate open switch seems a little wonky till broken in, and it keeps an open tailgate from locking.

Sho-Nuff

Reaction score
Look at the rubber stops where the tailgate meets the bed.

MVandale

Reaction score
You've likely got your fob in your pocket and the tailgate unlocks like your front doors...... Touch. Lock your truck, leave your fob in the house then go out and try and open the tailgate. I'm betting it'll be locked.
This was my issue. Thanks!

tkeresztesi

Reaction score
You guys were right about the tailgate, once I left the fob away from the truck I couldn’t open the locked tailgate.
Thank you,
Tibor

tkeresztesi

Reaction score
I don’t know why the service people at the dealership didn’t tell, instead they told me to bring the truck in.

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just for reference on how the tailgate works (For those of us with Passive Entry):

It's always locked by default, and the only way to open it is to have the key in your pocket, or pop the gate manually with the tailgate switch inside.

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don’t know why the service people at the dealership didn’t tell, instead they told me to bring the truck in.
This is the first Ram with this tailgate and the service personnel don't go to vehicle demo's just the sales dept. The service people probably arent aware of the way it works. So I'd give them a pass. Y'all might want to call them back and explain it.

Users who are viewing this thread