5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Limited - Front Diff Assembly Replacement

gali

Reaction score
Hi All, new member here but have been a lurker for a bit.

I have a 2019 Ram 1500 limited (new gen) with about 70,000 miles on it, almost exclusively highway with very little towing. No accidents, nothing suspicious.

I had what I feel is an odd repair take place recently for a car with not too many miles or years on it that is basically babied.
To be transparent, I have the Maxcare which covered the repair so I approved it without asking too much into it but heres what unfolded below.

I went in for an oil change and during the inspection they sent me an estimate for the below:

Axles / Driveshaft: (Requires immediate attention) - FOUND RF AXLE TO HAVE EXCESSIVE PLAY ON IT , DUE TO THE PLAY , SPLINES ARE WORN ON THE FRONT DIFF , RECOMMEND REPLACING FRONT DIFF ASSEMBLY AND RF AXLE

Today I picked it up after several weeks of waiting for parts and was written up:

"FOUND RF AXLE TO HAVE EXESSIVE PLAY ON IT. DUE TO THE PLAY SPLINES ARE WORN ON THE FRONT DIFF. RECOMMEND REPLACING FRONT DIFF ASSEMBLY AND RF AXLE REMOVED BOTH LEFT FRONT AXLE, FOUD RIGHT SIDE AXLE TO BE SIZED TO THE FRONT DIFF, REMOVED AND REPLACED FRONT DIFF, REASSMELBED VEHICLE, INSTALLED NEW RF AXLE.

Is this a normal repair for this young of a car. The bill without maxcare was $4k. I would definntely go to an indy shop, but this gives me some fear about keeping this car out of warratny. I have a 2015 wk2 overland that has been relatively bulletproof, knock on wood, with alot more miles and age.

JF19Longhorn

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes.. it's a non greased, non sealed spline between the differential output shaft and the CV-axle. They wear out.. mine is just about gone at 64k miles.

Planning on buying the Dorman replacement kit and not sure what brand CV Axle, instead of the whole assembly from RAM, and doing it myself. Probably be less than $700 in parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/