5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 limited. I purchased from dealership in April of 2022 as a Certified used vehicle with 73,511 miles. Truck currently has 133,706 miles. Great truck with no issues, all Maint. done on time and records for that. Truck developed a tick on startup about 5 months ago but would always go away within a min. once heated. While on my way to work that morning the service engine light came on. I stopped to read code which was P0308 (Cylinder 8 misfire). Plugs had been changed at 90k, so I thought this may be a failed plug. I changed the plug and reset the code. Drove about another 50 miles and service engine light came back on. I checked codes again and same error P0308 (Cylinder 8 misfire). I changed the boot with no luck and also redid the 2 plugs in cylinder 8 with no solve. I took the truck to the dealership to be looked at on Oct. 20th. After diagnostics, I was told that I need a new engine, there was an internal engine failure. When I asked how that could be, I was told that there is a known issue with lifters and/or cylinders that fail to switch. My powertrain warranty is over and I am 10k over the extended warranty. I am being told I will have to pay out of pocket near 13k. After researching, seems this is a known common problem with this year model and engine dating back the last several years. I have read about 16 of these issues on this forum alone. Problem for me is buying this ram with a hefty price tag and being told that I have to cover something, that is no fault of mine own as a consumer! How do I get help from RAM to cover expenses? Dealership has reached out but RAM is unwilling to help. Hate to rant, but I still owe 40k on this vehicle and I have only driven 60k miles since owning. Engines should not be failing at 35k - 150k miles! HELP PLEASE! Way to close to Christmas to be dealing with this. RAM has always been my number 1 truck on the market but this has really changed my mind. RAM should want to fix known issues. RAM should want to take care of their customers.

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welp here we go better put your big boy pants on.. if you still owe $40k on a vehicle that has 133k you bought something you weren’t in a financial position to buy. A warranty is a warranty doesn’t matter if you think it should go to 150k miles trouble free if you’re outside of that warranty then you’re outside of that warranty. Why would you think a manufacturer would help you there. There’s a big difference if you were let’s say a 100 miles outside of your extended warranty.. not 10k. The repair is on you rather if thats finding another motor on your own thats cheaper and having a independent shop do the swap or doing it yourself. Im not sure within reason what you’re actually expecting here. Nothing mechanical last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Hello All,
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 limited. I purchased from dealership in April of 2022 as a Certified used vehicle with 73,511 miles. Truck currently has 133,706 miles. Great truck with no issues, all Maint. done on time and records for that. Truck developed a tick on startup about 5 months ago but would always go away within a min. once heated. While on my way to work that morning the service engine light came on. I stopped to read code which was P0308 (Cylinder 8 misfire). Plugs had been changed at 90k, so I thought this may be a failed plug. I changed the plug and reset the code. Drove about another 50 miles and service engine light came back on. I checked codes again and same error P0308 (Cylinder 8 misfire). I changed the boot with no luck and also redid the 2 plugs in cylinder 8 with no solve. I took the truck to the dealership to be looked at on Oct. 20th. After diagnostics, I was told that I need a new engine, there was an internal engine failure. When I asked how that could be, I was told that there is a known issue with lifters and/or cylinders that fail to switch. My powertrain warranty is over and I am 10k over the extended warranty. I am being told I will have to pay out of pocket near 13k. After researching, seems this is a known common problem with this year model and engine dating back the last several years. I have read about 16 of these issues on this forum alone. Problem for me is buying this ram with a hefty price tag and being told that I have to cover something, that is no fault of mine own as a consumer! How do I get help from RAM to cover expenses? Dealership has reached out but RAM is unwilling to help. Hate to rant, but I still owe 40k on this vehicle and I have only driven 60k miles since owning. Engines should not be failing at 35k - 150k miles! HELP PLEASE! Way to close to Christmas to be dealing with this. RAM has always been my number 1 truck on the market but this has really changed my mind. RAM should want to fix known issues. RAM should want to take care of their customers.
I can sympathize but it is what it is. I would expect an engine to last longer than that, but I still remember when people were happy when their vehicle made it 100k miles. You should be able to source a low mileage used engine for a lot less than $13k, whether you install it yourself or have an independent shop do the work.

Please change your thread title. You don't have a V6 in your Limited, you have a Hemi.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You said you changed both the plugs and ignition coil boots.

To clarify, did you replace the entire ignition coil pack, or just the boot?

It is well worth a shot to replace the entire coil pack.

Short of that you can try moving the coils on the effected cylinder to a different one, then see if the Misfire trouble code follows.
If so it’s just the coil pack.

Also I’d be asking for a whole heckuva lot more detail from the techs beyond “some internal failure” before forking over thousands of dollars for a new engine!!

Edit: also beware if indeed you do have the Hemi there are 2 spark plugs per cylinder.

Eighty

Moderator / Dream Killer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Well, since he had Cylinder 8 misfire, then it looks like he's got a Hemi (not a V6).

Reaction score
Welp here we go better put your big boy pants on.. if you still owe $40k on a vehicle that has 133k you bought something you weren’t in a financial position to buy. A warranty is a warranty doesn’t matter if you think it should go to 150k miles trouble free if you’re outside of that warranty then you’re outside of that warranty. Why would you think a manufacturer would help you there. There’s a big difference if you were let’s say a 100 miles outside of your extended warranty.. not 10k. The repair is on you rather if thats finding another motor on your own thats cheaper and having a independent shop do the swap or doing it yourself. Im not sure within reason what you’re actually expecting here. Nothing mechanical last forever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I can sympathize but it is what it is. I would expect an engine to last longer than that, but I still remember when people were happy when their vehicle made it 100k miles. You should be able to source a low mileage used engine for a lot less than $13k, whether you install it yourself or have an independent shop do the work.

Please change your thread title. You don't have a V6 in your Limited, you have a Hemi.
You said you changed both the plugs and ignition coil boots.

To clarify, did you replace the entire ignition coil pack, or just the boot?

It is well worth a shot to replace the entire coil pack.

Short of that you can try moving the coils on the effected cylinder to a different one, then see if the Misfire trouble code follows.
If so it’s just the coil pack.

Also I’d be asking for a whole heckuva lot more detail from the techs beyond “some internal failure” before forking over thousands of dollars for a new engine!!

Edit: also beware if indeed you do have the Hemi there are 2 spark plugs per cylinder.
I replaced all, both plugs and coil packs. I did ask the techs details and that's what I was told that this is a known failure with the engine itself.

Reaction score

Big boy pants attached! So in 21 & 22 you couldn't find anything new on lot. Best they had on lot was 19 & 20. Has nothing to do with financial means lol. So according to your answer. Your good with a 60k base vehicle only lasting 150k miles? Before replacing engine? Come on man! Not talking about a small fix. 133K miles and I'm having to change the WHOLE engine?? All maintenance kept up to date. This is not a simple issue! I'm expecting a company who sells vehicles that knows there is a problem to correct that problem. I have worked in automotive manufacturing my whole life. If there is an issue then RAM should be trying to fix it.

Reaction score

Yep, I remember those days as well. Vehicle cost was significantly different. You paid for what you get. I can live with that. Most vehicles now days last 12-15 yrs as long as they are maintained. Blows my mind that engines are having to be changed in these RAMS at 50k , 33k, 119k and mine at 133k. These are just the few posts I have seen while researching.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
So in 21 & 22 you couldn't find anything new on lot. Best they had on lot was 19 & 20.
I bought a new '21 Limited in June of 2021 off the lot. There were quite a few to choose from in my area. Maybe you should have expanded your search area. In my case my dealership did a dealer trade with a dealership that's a couple hundred miles away. Just a suggestion for the next time you're shopping for a new vehicle.

Egret

Reaction score
Yep, I remember those days as well. Vehicle cost was significantly different. You paid for what you get. I can live with that. Most vehicles now days last 12-15 yrs as long as they are maintained. Blows my mind that engines are having to be changed in these RAMS at 50k , 33k, 119k and mine at 133k. These are just the few posts I have seen while researching.
If it were me... I'd take it to an independant shop and see if they tell you the same thing. I agree with @CalvinC that I would try to understand exactly what failed before buying a new engine - maybe there's another solution instead of a new engine... I don't know, but I'd be damn sure to find out before I decided to swap the engine.

If it turns out you need a new engine, try to source and arrange shipping for it yourself and then have the shop install it. Once you find an engine, try to negotiate the best price you can. By doing that leg work, you can likely save a lot. If you can find an independent shop with excellent reviews, that will likely save you a lot of money too and it's the way I'd go if I were in your situation.

Sorry to hear this brother! I hope you find out that it's less than a full engine replacement ... but if that turns out that way, I hope you can keep the costs down.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I replaced all, both plugs and coil packs. I did ask the techs details and that's what I was told that this is a known failure with the engine itself.

I’m hoping you’re being more brief with us than the dealership was with you. That would not ever fly with me.

If that’s all the detail they are giving you it’s time for a second opinion. Heck probably is in any case.

Egret

Reaction score
Hello All,
Is this your problem?

Egret

Reaction score
Hello All,
Dude, this sound exactly like your situation... look at this comment on the video:

1701734478196.png

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Big boy pants attached! So in 21 & 22 you couldn't find anything new on lot. Best they had on lot was 19 & 20. Has nothing to do with financial means lol. So according to your answer. Your good with a 60k base vehicle only lasting 150k miles? Before replacing engine? Come on man! Not talking about a small fix. 133K miles and I'm having to change the WHOLE engine?? All maintenance kept up to date. This is not a simple issue! I'm expecting a company who sells vehicles that knows there is a problem to correct that problem. I have worked in automotive manufacturing my whole life. If there is an issue then RAM should be trying to fix it.

Nope but I wouldn’t expect a manufacturer to do anything outside of warranty for me for free so
It would be up to me to handle it from there.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Get a second opinion and confirm that is the issue and it can't be fixed, but I see some good advice above. Worse case and you get confirmed a new engine and not fixable, drive it until it throw a rod or lifter. In the mean time that will give you time to save up or find better pricing. It's not like you're going to hurt an already broken engine.

Reaction score
Not only that, but bought it used with 73k on the clock...
This is not about just me. Trying to understand why nothing is being done about the known engine issues. Yep, Shame on me for not doing research before purchasing. If I would have known that there was an issue out there affecting RAM models year 14-20 with complete engine failure. BELIEVE ME, I would never have purchased the vehicle. Again, we are not talking about routine preventive maintenance or failure there of to maintain my vehicle, that caused this engine failure. I am upset that this is occurring at no fault of mine or others dealing with this issue. I am upset that its an internal engine failure. A known failure that continues to occur and what is being done to resolve this matter.

Not sure about you all, but vehicles I have purchased in the past have always been fine as long as the manufacturer recommended maintenance is kept up to date. Which is this case here! I'm just one of the unlucky ones who didn't have this happen until after the warranty expired. I have rolled 2 other trucks, Ford & Toyota well past 300k in my lifetime with no engine issues or failures. My point is that I shouldn't be having to replace the whole engine on a 4 yr old vehicle that has all 4 yrs of mechanical records with dealership.

Reaction score
Is this your problem?
Yes, as far as symptoms. But I'm being told that the lifter failed and damage was done on inside. I asked if they could replace or rebuild internal instead of getting a new engine. They said no that it was shattered inside the engine. That's why I need a new one instead of rebuilding.

Reaction score
137k miles on a truck and expects the manufacture to do work for free.
Let me get the popcorn.
This is not about just me. Trying to understand why nothing is being done about the known engine issues. Yep, Shame on me for not doing research before purchasing. If I would have known that there was an issue out there affecting RAM models year 14-20 with complete engine failure. BELIEVE ME, I would never have purchased the vehicle. Again, we are not talking about routine preventive maintenance or failure there of to maintain my vehicle, that caused this engine failure. I am upset that this is occurring at no fault of mine or others dealing with this issue. I am upset that its an internal engine failure. A known failure that continues to occur and what is being done to resolve this matter.

Not sure about you all, but vehicles I have purchased in the past have always been fine as long as the manufacturer recommended maintenance is kept up to date. Which is this case here! I'm just one of the unlucky ones who didn't have this happen until after the warranty expired. I have rolled 2 other trucks, Ford & Toyota well past 300k in my lifetime with no engine issues or failures. My point is that I shouldn't be having to replace the whole engine on a 4 yr old vehicle that has all 4 yrs of mechanical records with dealership.

Users who are viewing this thread