5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 LARAMIE - trailer tow package

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you would expect that from FCA then I would suggest that holding ones breath would not be a good idea.............................BUT your dog still looks great. :)

I see the possibility of a later model year having folding/360.. we'd have to fork out the cash and then figure out how to make it work...

And she's 14 and still going strong!

Old Ray

Reaction score
on a different note... is Limited worth the extra?
Maybe, I have a Limited. One other difference is the HID headlights styling (also on longhorn). As has been said on this site it is very easy to option up the price of a Laramie or Longhorn to the price of a Limited that has those same options included. Do three build your own sheets with what you want and see what works the best for you. You have to own a model for a little while to see what you like or don't, so after having my Limited since July but with few miles I find the black interior boring (I like the longhorn interior) and because of my age find (what looks awesome) the 12 screen distracting. The Limited sound system is the best I have heard in a vehicle.

Glad that you missed the bullet on the camera/mirrors,............. I didn't. :mad:

Old Ray

Reaction score
I see the possibility of a later model year having folding/360..
By then ordering the parts and installing them....or.....by trading in ? I looked at the trade thing, ugly and bad, or worse, sucks.

What makes you think that the 2020's might have 360/fold, certainly not in response to customer dissatisfaction or admitting partial liability, but maybe from sales lots full of trucks with tow packages ? :)

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By then ordering the parts and installing them....or.....by trading in ? I looked at the trade thing, ugly and bad, or worse, sucks.

What makes you think that the 2020's might have 360/fold, certainly not in response to customer dissatisfaction or admitting partial liability, but maybe from sales lots full of trucks with tow packages ? :)

You'd loose your *** in a trade IMO. Likely not from complaints, that truck is sold and not their problem... more likely from product not moving... remember, money talks.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Plus Power running boards are included on Limited. Nice and low for old turds like me.
i live in upper midwest, 6 months winter .... thats why i am not a big fan of power deployed running boards, its gonna freeze and not work half the time. heck half the time the mirrors wont open/close either...

Old Ray

Reaction score
i live in upper midwest, 6 months winter .... thats why i am not a big fan of power deployed running boards, its gonna freeze and not work half the time. heck half the time the mirrors wont open/close either...
I like them, mostly for the lower step height, I don't think you can get them on a longhorn. This is my third truck with them in the Rocky Mountain ski area of British Columbia, no problem so far.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
I like them, mostly for the lower step height, I don't think you can get them on a longhorn. This is my third truck with them in the Rocky Mountain ski area of British Columbia, no problem so far.

thats good to know, I am getting a non-powered after market. like the powered one, but dont want to do after market Powered, especially it the motor blows due to whatever, RAM wont cover it under warranty and the other reason is ... even though i park like a mile away from everything there are situations where someone else comes and park right next to me... with an extended board.. they will most likely hit the board and not give me a door ding :d:d (especially if its a sedan)

clotagames

Reaction score
thats good to know, I am getting a non-powered after market. like the powered one, but dont want to do after market Powered, especially it the motor blows due to whatever, RAM wont cover it under warranty and the other reason is ... even though i park like a mile away from everything there are situations where someone else comes and park right next to me... with an extended board.. they will most likely hit the board and not give me a door ding :d:d (especially if its a sedan)
Leave the factory fold boards deployed if you want. 1 button on the infocenter.

Tom488

Reaction score
I like them, mostly for the lower step height, I don't think you can get them on a longhorn.
You can - they come with the Level 1 Equipment Group.

FirstTimeRamDriver said:
I installed the Amp Research version on my '09 Ram (VERY similar to the current OEM steps) here in northern NJ... been through LOTS of snow and ice with them, and never had them freeze - never had a single problem with them, in fact (well... almost. The bolts holding the step down did come loose, and I needed to re-install them with Loc-tite.... but I'm gonna blame that on the dummy that installed them).

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
update 2

the dealer may have found the right one for me. it has everything i want, including the trailer break control but not the mirror. they couldnt find a black one, so i am going go with the granite color. still saying may since the other dealership with which they will trade havent confirmed availability yet.

here i thought buying a car is as easy as putting your money down and driving it off

RAMBS

Reaction score
I would base my decision on what you are towing. I hated the fact that I lost the power mirrors until I hooked up my travel trailer . Now I don't know how I lived without them? They do the job they were intended for, rather nicely.

lambone

Reaction score
The Limited usually has the Advanced Saftey package. Which gives you several features like cruise control and lane departure assist.

It also has vented rear seats, which may be important to some passengers. They sure are nice in the summer.

The front headlights and grill are different. As are the wheel and tire packages. Also they often come with a pre-sprayed bedliner and the bed utility rails and bed lights.

Keep in mind that the extra options on the Limited reduce its payload capacity. And if it has 3.21 vs 3.92 gearing greatly affects its towing capacity. Not sure if you tow anything now but it’s something to definitely consider. Don’t buy the truck and then decide you want a 10,000lb RV and realize you bought the wrong truck....ask me how I know...

There are a lot of different options available on these trucks so when shopping you just need to take real close look at the window sticker AND the tire and loading sticker in the door frame and decide what features are important to you, what your towing/payload requirements are, and what you can afford.

I rushed into buying mine at year end in ‘18 then found this forum afterwards and started researching. I quickly discovered that 1. I probably should have got the 3.92 gear ratio, and 2. I could have gotten a better deal. I still love my truck but I wish I had held out for the Rebel 12.

Last edited:

Johnvan

Reaction score
I think it's an advantage in that climate. I was out the other day in lousy weather, mixed snow, rain, sleet, ice, a bit of everything. I noticed some trucks with fixed running boards that looked downright dangerous to step on. Mine deployed nice and dry.

Bsteiner36

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
hello everyone,
first time RAM buyer here. i was going to buy a used 2016 F-150 platinum, but got a good deal (or i think i did) and bought a 2019 1500 Laramie with the sports package and level 2 equipment package. the thing is, the actual truck is 250 miles from here at another dealer. local dealer said they would do a dealer trade in and get it here. drove one with the same package but not the color i want and absolutely loved it. the one i am buying doesnt have the power folding running boards and i can live with that, but the window sticker shows trailer tow package. from what i read here, that means it doesnt have a power folding mirror and the 360 degree camera. of course i read all these after signing all the papers. when i asked the sales guy, he assured that the more expensive package overrides the trailer tow package, now from what i am reading on this forum, thats not the case. i already texted him and told him to call in and verify if the truck has the trailer tow package and if thats the case, dont get it here. or swap out mirror (which from what i understand is major PITA).

i am sold on 2019 RAM, but i have already signed the papers and wondering if i got screwed in the process or not. i am trading in my vehicle which is still in my possession.

so my options are:

1. flat out tell them, not buying it find me something that has what i want - but since the papers are signed, wondering how that all works out with registration etc
2. loose the battle and deal with it - really really dont want to.

thoughts?

thanks for any advice/ suggestions

Check out my forum i started. I was hoping to keep this from happening.

https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...kage-removing-features.5249/page-8#post-89301

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
those bells and whistles are the ones that drove me to RAM, granted Ford has the same, the interior is far better in RAM. the one i am looking at has the Level 2 package and advanced safety package, 3.92 gear ratio, trailer brake control, Customer Preferred Package 25H and e-locker rear axle. 12 inch screen, dual pano sun roof, 33 gal tank, and its a Laramie Sport

rear ventilated seats are not important, the rear seats will be occupied probably once a year or less. I dont tow (yet) and definitely not hauling rocks and sand in the bed either. dont ask me why i am getting a truck and not a SUV :D

Last edited:

lambone

Reaction score
No need to justify it to us!

Sounds like you know which options you want.

Imho, I’m really glad I got the Pano sunroof. It really brightens up the cabin. Also I’m glad I got the 33 gallon fuel tank. Ya it hurts at the pump but it hurts less often!

Now how about appearance? Are you ok with chrome bits?

If not look for a Laramie Sport. Trust me it’s expensive and a pain in the neck to get rid of chrome.

Have you considered the Rebel?

If I didn’t need the heated and reclining seats in the back (kids insisted) I probly would have sprung for the Rebel 12. Part of me thinks kids be damned, I should have gotten it!

Honestly I would have probly saved a bunch of money buying a Rebel because I would have likely kept the wheels and tires, bumpers, etc.

Last edited:

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yep, just a FYI, I do have the power deployable steps on my Longhorn and love them. I like the width and they are just the right height for everyone in my family. I have had no problem with them in the snow and cold. Have had power running boards on our Ford Expeditions for years and have never had issues with them in the cold and snow either.;)

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
No need to justify it to us!

Sounds like you know which options you want.

Imho, I’m really glad I got the Pano sunroof. It really brightens up the cabin. Also I’m glad I got the 33 gallon fuel tank. Ya it hurts at the pump but it hurts less often!

Now how about appearance? Are you ok with chrome bits?

If not look for a Laramie Sport. Trust me it’s expensive and a pain in the neck to get rid of chrome.

Have you considered the Rebel?

If I didn’t need the heated and reclining seats in the back (kids insisted) I probly would have sprung for the Rebel 12. Part of me thinks kids be damned, I should have gotten it!

Honestly I would have probly saved a bunch of money buying a Rebel because I would have likely kept the wheels and tires, bumpers, etc.

i updated the feature in the last post above, it is a Sports one with panoramic roof and 33 gal tank. i havent considered Rebel, but if i dont get this one, i might look that way

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread