5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 LARAMIE - trailer tow package

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
hello everyone,
first time RAM buyer here. i was going to buy a used 2016 F-150 platinum, but got a good deal (or i think i did) and bought a 2019 1500 Laramie with the sports package and level 2 equipment package. the thing is, the actual truck is 250 miles from here at another dealer. local dealer said they would do a dealer trade in and get it here. drove one with the same package but not the color i want and absolutely loved it. the one i am buying doesnt have the power folding running boards and i can live with that, but the window sticker shows trailer tow package. from what i read here, that means it doesnt have a power folding mirror and the 360 degree camera. of course i read all these after signing all the papers. when i asked the sales guy, he assured that the more expensive package overrides the trailer tow package, now from what i am reading on this forum, thats not the case. i already texted him and told him to call in and verify if the truck has the trailer tow package and if thats the case, dont get it here. or swap out mirror (which from what i understand is major PITA).

i am sold on 2019 RAM, but i have already signed the papers and wondering if i got screwed in the process or not. i am trading in my vehicle which is still in my possession.

so my options are:

1. flat out tell them, not buying it find me something that has what i want - but since the papers are signed, wondering how that all works out with registration etc
2. loose the battle and deal with it - really really dont want to.

thoughts?

thanks for any advice/ suggestions

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
ok now i am even more confused, the description has both surround vision and trailer tow mirror in it!! ram.PNG

Last edited by a moderator:

James1414d

Reaction score
Your entitled to change your mind before you take delivery.
I wound up with tow mirrors from my own ignorance, had I known, I would have picked a truck with the 360°.
I would think they would work with you. Dealer trades are no big deal.

V8Spock

Reaction score
There's quite a long history of the tow package vs 360 view/folding on these forums. Personally, I'd not give up the surround view and folding mirrors to add the tow package. I use them both every time I drive the vehicle.

Losing them would be a deal breaker, regardless of what has been signed to this point.

clotagames

Reaction score
This has been discussed in detail on here for quite some time. Ram made a big mistake in packaging plain and simple. Towing mirrors need the powerfold as much or more than standard mirrors. I understand that if you flip up the towing mirrors that the 360 cameras would be an issue but they need a price reduction for that. My 2017 2500 towing mirrors had powerfold option.

XDBrad

Reaction score
Agree with everyone here, losing the power folding mirrors is a deal breaker. Regardless of what the dealer assumes (upgraded level 2 package would over ride the tow package) I assure you they are incorrect. Like many here, had I known what I know now I would have taken a build without the tow package and just added the controller. Cheaper and much better options in the end.

S

Smashy71

Don’t accept it. You are entitled not to. Signing doesn’t mean anything. You haven’t paid anything and you still have your truck. A good dealer will work with you and get what you want. A shltty dealer will try to make you settle with what they want you to have. I’ve been down a similar road dealing with dealers.

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just to clarify your confusion, if this truck has the tow package(tow mirrors) it will NOT have the surround view or power fold. The list like the one posted above are very confusing for any vehicle and I do not like any of them. On most any vehicle these lists post everything standard and options without clarifying what overrides what. I’ve even seen these lists on used F-150’s show the 3:31 ratio and then a few lines later showing the 3:55 on the same truck without “clarifying” that options override standard.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I will go to the dealership first thing monday AM and see what they say. this is beyond confusing and frustrating. heck the sales people are not even aware of this mess....

i will keep everyone posted, as of now i dont see any truck in their lot or nearby with all the options i want. i was initially thinking its just about swapping the mirror, but looks like its changing the front grill, running wires and reprogramming a bunch of crap and who knows down the road what will break with a uConnect s/w upgrade

Gondul

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If not having the power fold and 360 is a deal breaker for you, they don't accept the truck.

I guess I'm in the minority in that I really didn't care about the folding mirrors or 360... but I won't say no to a kit in the future to incorporate folding tow mirrors and 360.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I thought the same thing about power folding mirrors until I traded a truck in with, and got one without. I made sure that my latest truck had them on it.

rlc2020

Reaction score
You have every right to walk away, especially if you haven't even seen the truck in person yet. I've walked away from signed deals before any property or money changed hands in the past (truck didn't have a back up camera even though they told me it did, I didn't check until after signing paperwork). Make sure you get what you want and don't just take the dealers word for it.

Also, you can call the dealership that the truck is at and ask them to go out and check out the truck in person. You can also tell them the deal that you are currently negotiating and they may be able to do you better if you make the drive yourself. I would only recommend this because it seems your current dealer is basically lying to you to get you to buy and figuring that once they get the truck you wont back out.

RonH

Reaction score
As 19llhpb said, you will not get the power folding mirrors or the 360 view if it has a Trailer Tow Package. Since you also wanted the power folding running boards, that's another reason to walk away from this truck. You're paying over $50,000 for the truck -- get one that has exactly all the equipment you want.

steveved

Reaction score
Hmm... I have a Laramie 4x4 with the trailer tow package and I have power folding mirrors. What am I missing here?

Tom488

Reaction score
Hmm... I have a Laramie 4x4 with the trailer tow package and I have power folding mirrors. What am I missing here?
You do not have the trailer tow package. What you have is the standard equipment class IV hitch, and the trailer brake controller (which can be had as a separate option). If you don't have big, goofy-looking mirrors that manually fold in, and manually rotate 90 degrees to stick out even further, then your truck didn't come with the trailer tow package.

If you really want to be sure, post your VIN, and we can pull both the build sheet and the window sticker.

FirstTimeRamDriver

Reaction score
update:
so i went to the dealership and the guy who sold me wasnt there. but met with a manager and he said he will find me something and will take care of the paperwork and stuff. so i am back to square one, however it doesnt look like i have to fight tooth and nail, so thats a respite.

on a different note... is Limited worth the extra? the only major thing i see different is the air suspension ride and some stitching in the seats that i really dont care about

Users who are viewing this thread