5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 have diesel available?

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That said all that is only because you have an interest in this. For most people it just works seamlessly in the back ground and they are unaware when its going through a regen. GDE does an actual ECM tune which gives them a lot more latitude to do things in the right way as opposed to a piggy back tune that just manipulates or fools some parameters. Many don't know they were diesel engine management engineers for the industry back before Chrysler went through its downsizing. Most quickly learn that GDE's off road tune turns off the EGR so the engine is not recirculating its own waste but few know how much better their regen strategy is and that it does not regen nearly as often. Naturally headline features are more power fuel economy improvements shutting off EGR etc.

I've seen the pics on the 1500 diesel forum and what EGR does to a diesel seems criminal. I assume those pics are typical of all owners, and are not special cases from just one or two people (?).

I also saw some owners comment that some dealers are ok with GDE ECM's and don't give warranty hassles.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Well I would suspect the majority that don't have a tune have sooted up intake etc by the time it gets to 100k. Depends on how the truck is used. But some just take them apart to clean them not that they have actually gotten to a clog or something where its causing issues. My dealer service manager is my cousin. He thinks the GDE tune is a good idea but can't promote that because of his position. My understanding is that the burden of proof is on Ram to prove the tune caused the problem that enabled them to deny a warranty claim. Its been a non issue. First Ram knows it has a bearing failure problem with the 1st gen ED and is not giving people a hard but rubber stamping another engine. Secondly GDE keeps all factory safety parameters.

Last edited:
S

Smashy71

I had an ecodiesel for four years. I’ll never get another one. It was doggy hesitant in acceleration and multiple dpf problems. Now I’ll be waiting on my 990 check from ram to get from the lawsuit that just settled. Looks like June or September for the 2020 ecodiesels.

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think they are just holding out for Chevy to make their new deisel announcement. But would it be smarter for Ram to beat Chevy to it??..

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Smashy 3.55s stock tune and 35s? I know mine with 3.92s a tune and 31.9s is very responsive. I never did have a DPF problem but my trucks duty cycle bodes well for diesel. You mean June or Sept for the 2019 EDs with gen 2 motor?
newlove I to think Ram is waiting on GM to state their stats if they can. As big brass made promises he may not be able to keep.

Last edited:

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had a Chevy salesman look up the new 19 Silverado about a month ago. He didn’t know about the deisel personally but, it was in his system.

Reaction score
These manufactures need to get away from these bragging/one up ratings numbers for horsepower and torque. Today’s ED cannot sustain its rating of 240 HP for long w/out derating for overheating.

Who cares what number FCA, Ford and GM put up for their 3.0 motors, unless they all have significant cooling systems upgrades you’ll still be facing a slow chug while towing up long interstate grades. Nothing wrong with that, it is just these days everyone wants to tow 10K w/out dropping below the speed limit.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
These manufactures need to get away from these bragging/one up ratings numbers for horsepower and torque. Today’s ED cannot sustain its rating of 240 HP for long w/out derating for overheating.

Who cares what number FCA, Ford and GM put up for their 3.0 motors, unless they all have significant cooling systems upgrades you’ll still be facing a slow chug while towing up long interstate grades. Nothing wrong with that, it is just these days everyone wants to tow 10K w/out dropping below the speed limit.

I'm with you. I don't need nor do I want "bragging rights" numbers, I want drivability, reliability, durability, economy. The HP/Torque wars are just plain stupid these days.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Agreed about the one up numbers stuff both in the HDs with HP & TQ and 1/2 tons in towing capacity. Although I see bigger semi type loads going down the truck routes on as big as a 50' triple tandem axle GN flatbed behind a dually. The fuel economy wars I'm actually good with up to the point where it cuts into as said drive-ability reliability etc. Who doesnt like a full size 4WD truck that gets 30 mpg hwy. I doubt Ford & GM 3.0 diesels will have cooling issues that had more to do with the limitations of the electric fan and Ram's stupid packaging by covering the radiator with an intercooler and well a restrictive grill. The second gen should have this rectified but we will see.

Towing a grade with a heavy boat or TT in my truck is almost always done at 55 mph IE 5th gear keeping it down to 3k rpms so that it will not derate. But I do have 3.92, a tune, factory honeycomb grill, and run a 31.9" tire. Its done a 9k TT 1,000 miles down the 5 from Oregon to LA over the 5 & 6 percent grades of Mt Shasta & up the grapevine into LA. 55 on the grades 65 on the flats with good WDH built in sway control and good axle and tongue weights. It did well but 8k is more of a practical max for even a proper specked 1/2 ton regardless of astronomical tow ratings. I believe I could actually benefit from 300HP 500TQ towing an 8k TT with a 1/2 ton but thats pretty much fully using the practical limits of the 1/2 ton platform. And that should be fast enough for anyone with any common sense to move a practical limit load with a 1/2 ton. Yeah the whole I want to tow 10k in the hammer lane up a grade leading the charge with my 1/2 ton is foolish abuse of equipment as its well into HD territory regardless of advertised ratings.

fwiw T-stat fully opens at 224 fans kick on 226-228 computer can start stepping in fuel de-rate at 245 also above 266 oil. Full synthetic oils have no problems with these temps. BTW we are contracted with 4 Mfgs and transport TTs & boats. My lil econo diesel recently turned 500,000 miles. And can you do this with the 5.7 Hemi yeah but the fuel costs would a lot higher ie less profitable and the longevity under that workload would be suspect. Gas 1/2 tons are the right choice for most people. The ED is for a target 5 to maybe 10 percent of 1500s sales IE always to be a supplemental choice engine to complete the lineup. Doesn't mean we can't love it.

Last edited:

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had an ecodiesel for four years. I’ll never get another one. It was doggy hesitant in acceleration and multiple dpf problems. Now I’ll be waiting on my 990 check from ram to get from the lawsuit that just settled. Looks like June or September for the 2020 ecodiesels.

Care to spill the beans... what DPF problems and under what conditions?

Agreed about the one up numbers stuff both in the HDs with HP & TQ and 1/2 tons in towing capacity. Although I see bigger semi type loads going down the truck routes on as big as a 50' triple tandem axle GN flatbed behind a dually. The fuel economy wars I'm actually good with up to the point where it cuts into as said drive-ability reliability etc. I doubt Ford & GM 3.0 diesels will have cooling issues that had more to do with the limitations of the electric fan and Ram's stupid packaging by covering the radiator with an intercooler and well a restrictive grill. The second gen should have this rectified but we will see.

Towing a grade with a heavy boat or TT in my truck is almost always done at 55 mph IE 5th gear keeping it down to 3k rpms so that it will not derate. But I do have 3.92, a tune, factory honeycomb grill, and run a 31.9" tire. Its done a 9k TT 1,000 miles down the 5 from Oregon to LA over the 5 & 6 percent grades of Mt Shasta & up the grapevine into LA. 55 on the grades 65 on the flats with good WDH built in sway control and good axle and tongue weights. It did well but 8k is more of a practical max for even a proper specked 1/2 ton regardless of astronomical tow ratings. I believe I could actually benefit from 300HP 500TQ towing an 8k TT with a 1/2 ton but thats pretty much fully using the practical limits of the 1/2 ton platform. And that should be fast enough for anyone with any common sense to move a practical limit load with a 1/2 ton. Yeah the whole I want to tow 10k in the hammer lane leading the charge with my 1/2 ton is foolish abuse of equipment as its well into HD territory regardless of advertised ratings.

Oh fwiw T-stat fully opens at 224 fans kick on 226-228 computer can start stepping in fuel de-rate at 245 also above 266 oil. Full synthetic oils have no problems with these temps. BTW we are contracted with 4 Mfgs and transport TTs & boats. My lil econ diesel recently turned 500,000 miles.

Very nice. Congrats on the 500,000... that's quite a milestone figure.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Btw, do we know if 5th Gen ED will have the option for the 33 gallon fuel tank?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Doubt it as you also have the 8 gallon DEF tank under there. I routinely go 350 miles with a TT (from Dayton OH to St Louis) on the lil 26 gallon tank. And 600 miles with just the truck. Its adequate and with diesel you have the option of adding an in bed tank.

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I doubt it too, but...?

I was thinking if Ram wanted to slam the door on GM + Ford in the half-ton light-duty diesel segment, the option for ultra range would be an appealing differentiator. That is, going from "adequate" to bad-a$$.

I've put auxiliary fuel tanks on bikes before. Gravity fed, tapped into the main tank. I don't need it enough to do that on a warranteed truck but I'd pony-up for factory option of more fuel.

S

Smashy71

Care to spill the beans... what DPF problems and under what conditions

Normal driving conditions. First year complete scr replacement. Had two def tanks and it would not regenerate clogging up the dpf filter. Cel light was always on. The dealer would just reflash and somehow manually regen the truck after so many miles. It was a short term fix/bandaid. Right before I traded it in the coolant was starting to migrate into the oil cooler. Fun times with that turd.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
@VernDiesel: "My lil econ diesel recently turned 500,000 miles."

Wait...WHAT? 500,000 miles on a Ram Ecodiesel? What year? What's been done to it in the course of accumulating 500,000 miles?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
833BA71E-1806-4425-8469-E3425F3CBA7B.jpeg
I let it get low on coolant from a slow leak. At 371k it pushed out a head gasket. Bought a new factory complete engine including turbo plus fuel pump & 24 month unlimited mileage warranty wholesale at $5,500. Basic R&R non coastal rates $1,500. It was only down a week.

S

Smashy71

View attachment 14219
I let it get low on coolant from a slow leak. At 371k it pushed out a head gasket. Bought a new factory complete engine including turbo plus fuel pump & 24 month unlimited mileage warranty wholesale at $5,500. Basic R&R non coastal rates $1,500. It was only down a week.
Now with the lawsuit you’ll get a 3300 dollar check from fca and an extended warranty to 120k. Although you have four times that. Lol

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
View attachment 14219

So your factory-original 2014 Ecodiesel went a full 371,000 miles? That's impressive. Just goes to show that diesels are happy when loaded/towing and cruising on the highways. Congratulations on the good Ecodiesel longevity. What about the tranny, etc. in your 2014?

Users who are viewing this thread