5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 have diesel available?

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Apple's and oranges, you are comparing ford's diesel to an engine that will not be available in the 5th generation. The old turbo diesel numbers were boosted this year for use in the jeep. Even those numbers beat Ford's numbers. The new engine hosts a number of improvements.
I just would like RAM/FCA to address the lower rpm for Hp and Tq that Ford gets, in order to allow 1/2T users more towing ability. The reliability concerns over bearing lubrication etc. are a design issue as well as production. Regardless of the differences in motors, they need to do their homework for this "new" introduction.
The Ford and GM motor seem pretty well received on their forums. I'd just like FCA to keep abreast with or ahead of the competition.

The newest comparison I've seen is the Car and Driver article from 3 days ago:

How Does the Chevrolet Silverado's New Duramax Turbo-Diesel Engine Compare against Ford and Ram?
We look at the numbers: It's a dog-eat-dog truck world out there, and Chevrolet just took a big bite.

By ANDREW WENDLER
JUN 3, 2019

• Chevrolet has introduced a Duramax 3.0-liter inline-six diesel engine as an option for the 2020 Silverado 1500.
  • This means all three competitors in the hotly contested half-ton-pickup segment—the others, of course, being the Ford F-150 and the Ram 1500—will offer a 3.0-liter six-cylinder turbo-diesel option in the 2020 model year.
  • The new Chevy engine dominates in the numbers with its 277 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque.
A decade ago, diesel-powered half-ton pickups were an endangered species. Diesel-powered HD pickups were common, but the half-ton diesel population was primarily composed of a handful of aging Chevrolet and GMC pickups equipped with the 6.2- and 6.5-liter diesel V-8s that disappeared from consumer vehicles at the turn of the century. Ram kickstarted a revival with its 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel V-6, but that engine is currently available only in the Ram 1500 Classic, and not the the newest Ram. However, it is expected to be back on the Ram roster before the end of 2019, reportedly with a slight power bump. Ford later joined the fray with its 2018 Ford F-150 Power Stroke diesel, an optional 3.0-liter V-6 mated to Ford's 10-speed automatic.
The 2020 model year brings the arrival of the Chevrolet 1500 Duramax diesel, rounding out the trio of domestic entries into the segment. Don't confuse this new breed of six-cylinder diesel with the soot-belching beasts of old, however; all three of these new six-cylinder diesel engines employ loads of modern technology in terms of materials, assembly, and engine management, and in our experience they're dramatically less noisy and cleaner-burning than their predecessors.

Equal Displacement, Different Methods
Curiously, all three post comparable numbers but go about achieving them in distinctly different ways. They all have six cylinders, displace three liters, and employ turbocharging, but the new Chevrolet is an inline design while the Ram and the Ford are configured in a V format. Seeing as the truck wars are ultimately about comparing numbers, we've cut right to the chase and itemized the vitals in the chart below:
Chevrolet DuramaxFord Power StrokeRam EcoDiesel
Displacement3.0 liter3.0 liter3.0 liter
ConfigurationInline-6V-6V-6
Torque460 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm440 lb-ft @ 1750 rpm420 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm
Horsepower277 hp @ 3750 rpm250 hp @ 3250 rpm240 hp @ 3600 rpm
BlockAluminumIronIron
Head(s)AluminumAluminumAluminum
Compression15.0:116.0:116.5:1
You don’t need a calculator to discern that, when it comes to raw power, the Chevrolet's 277 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque put it atop the half-ton-diesel pyramid. Crucially, that 460 lb-ft is available at 1500 rpm, the lowest of the bunch, which means the most grunt right off idle. (Emphasis mine) Chevrolet pairs the new diesel with a 10-speed automatic transmission, as does Ford. We expect the Ram diesel to continue to use the smooth-shifting eight-speed currently in use in the 2019 Ram 1500."
End of article cut and paste

The 460 foot pounds at 1500 is the target FCA should be aiming at...

NewLove

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gonna be interesting to see the competition unfold

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sandbaja

Reaction score
what will win the day wont be a few HP or extra torque. It will be reliability. Right now FCA needs to deliver a solid product after ED V1 problems.

habu987

Stormageddon, Dark Lord of All
Reaction score

Looks like 260 hp at 3600 rpm and 480 lb-ft at 1600 rpm, with a towing capacity of up to 12,560 lbs. No word on mpg yet, but if it does lead the competition, I'm hoping for around 23-24 combined in 4x4 crew cab format.

Doc

Reaction score

Looks like 260 hp at 3600 rpm and 480 lb-ft at 1600 rpm, with a towing capacity of up to 12,560 lbs. No word on mpg yet, but if it does lead the competition, I'm hoping for around 23-24 combined in 4x4 crew cab format.
I'm glad I waited!

Doc

Reaction score
I just would like RAM/FCA to address the lower rpm for Hp and Tq that Ford gets, in order to allow 1/2T users more towing ability. The reliability concerns over bearing lubrication etc. are a design issue as well as production. Regardless of the differences in motors, they need to do their homework for this "new" introduction.
The Ford and GM motor seem pretty well received on their forums. I'd just like FCA to keep abreast with or ahead of the competition.

The newest comparison I've seen is the Car and Driver article from 3 days ago:

How Does the Chevrolet Silverado's New Duramax Turbo-Diesel Engine Compare against Ford and Ram?
We look at the numbers: It's a dog-eat-dog truck world out there, and Chevrolet just took a big bite.

By ANDREW WENDLER
JUN 3, 2019

• Chevrolet has introduced a Duramax 3.0-liter inline-six diesel engine as an option for the 2020 Silverado 1500.
  • This means all three competitors in the hotly contested half-ton-pickup segment—the others, of course, being the Ford F-150 and the Ram 1500—will offer a 3.0-liter six-cylinder turbo-diesel option in the 2020 model year.
  • The new Chevy engine dominates in the numbers with its 277 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque.
A decade ago, diesel-powered half-ton pickups were an endangered species. Diesel-powered HD pickups were common, but the half-ton diesel population was primarily composed of a handful of aging Chevrolet and GMC pickups equipped with the 6.2- and 6.5-liter diesel V-8s that disappeared from consumer vehicles at the turn of the century. Ram kickstarted a revival with its 2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel V-6, but that engine is currently available only in the Ram 1500 Classic, and not the the newest Ram. However, it is expected to be back on the Ram roster before the end of 2019, reportedly with a slight power bump. Ford later joined the fray with its 2018 Ford F-150 Power Stroke diesel, an optional 3.0-liter V-6 mated to Ford's 10-speed automatic.
The 2020 model year brings the arrival of the Chevrolet 1500 Duramax diesel, rounding out the trio of domestic entries into the segment. Don't confuse this new breed of six-cylinder diesel with the soot-belching beasts of old, however; all three of these new six-cylinder diesel engines employ loads of modern technology in terms of materials, assembly, and engine management, and in our experience they're dramatically less noisy and cleaner-burning than their predecessors.

Equal Displacement, Different Methods
Curiously, all three post comparable numbers but go about achieving them in distinctly different ways. They all have six cylinders, displace three liters, and employ turbocharging, but the new Chevrolet is an inline design while the Ram and the Ford are configured in a V format. Seeing as the truck wars are ultimately about comparing numbers, we've cut right to the chase and itemized the vitals in the chart below:
Chevrolet DuramaxFord Power StrokeRam EcoDiesel
Displacement3.0 liter3.0 liter3.0 liter
ConfigurationInline-6V-6V-6
Torque460 lb-ft @ 1500 rpm440 lb-ft @ 1750 rpm420 lb-ft @ 2000 rpm
Horsepower277 hp @ 3750 rpm250 hp @ 3250 rpm240 hp @ 3600 rpm
BlockAluminumIronIron
Head(s)AluminumAluminumAluminum
Compression15.0:116.0:116.5:1
You don’t need a calculator to discern that, when it comes to raw power, the Chevrolet's 277 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque put it atop the half-ton-diesel pyramid. Crucially, that 460 lb-ft is available at 1500 rpm, the lowest of the bunch, which means the most grunt right off idle. (Emphasis mine) Chevrolet pairs the new diesel with a 10-speed automatic transmission, as does Ford. We expect the Ram diesel to continue to use the smooth-shifting eight-speed currently in use in the 2019 Ram 1500."
End of article cut and paste

The 460 foot pounds at 1500 is the target FCA should be aiming at...
Looks like all those articles need to be rewritten!

Sandbaja

Reaction score
I'm glad I waited!
This is good and helps explain the desire to clear inventory today. I've wanted a diesel for quite a while but will pull a trigger on a hemi this month if the deal is good enough. I'm also OK with not doing a deal this month and waiting on the ED.
What will it be?
ED=Extra duty
ED-Erectile dysfunction

I'm hoping the EcoDiesel becomes known as the extra duty diesel, without any major issues.

Win-win for consumers IMO.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
This is good and helps explain the desire to clear inventory today. I've wanted a diesel for quite a while but will pull a trigger on a hemi this month if the deal is good enough. I'm also OK with not doing a deal this month and waiting on the ED.
What will it be?
ED=Extra duty
ED-Erectile dysfunction

I'm hoping the EcoDiesel becomes known as the extra duty diesel, without any major issues.

Win-win for consumers IMO.
me too . will probably wait till after christmas to get mine now.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
ED economy diesel

That’s how I’ve always seen it. A nitch truck & motor especially good for people who put on big miles and or regularly tow light to moderate 1/2 ton platform appropriate loads. Potential better diesel longevity. Mine had 371k before requiring anything more than maintenance something most gas pickups don’t do.

30 mpg Hwy capable is sweet. So is averaging 15 mpg towing a 6-7k Airstream travel trailer puring along at 2k. Probably ideal for to 10 percent of buyers.

For a daily 3 mile commute & kids runner the Pentastar is better. Probably also ideal for 10 percent of buyers.

If sound & speed is important and mileage not as much the Hemi is a better choice. Should probably be the choice of 80 percent of buyers.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Don’t know about the new 5th gen emissions system but on the 4th gen EDs I would highly recommend a GDE tune for use with a 2 mile commute. Turns off EGR, turns off soot producing pilot injection, and a much better regen /DEF strategy. This tune is produced by former Chrysler Diesel engine management engineers.

I’ve used their engine management software 540,000 miles and their transmission tune since they brought it to market.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Don’t know about the new 5th gen emissions system but on the 4th gen EDs I would highly recommend a GDE tune for use with a 2 mile commute. Turns off EGR, turns off soot producing pilot injection, and a much better regen /DEF strategy. This tune is produced by former Chrysler Diesel engine management engineers.

I’ve used their engine management software 540,000 miles and their transmission tune since they brought it to market.
Absolutely only problem is I live in CA any way around that ?

VernDiesel

Reaction score
Just one idea; you could get one of those mailboxes that also come with a physical address in another state and use that address.

VernDiesel

Reaction score
A basic tune IE not a full delete isn’t removing your exhaust system or EGR cooler so visually there is no change. The tune still utilizes you’re emissions system CAT, SCR, DEF it just turns off senseless EGR and the fuel waisting / soot producing pilot injection and as mentioned better manages the regens & DEF usage. GDE just needs a billing address & a shipping address that is not CA.

bgmshrm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I w
A basic tune IE not a full delete isn’t removing your exhaust system or EGR cooler so visually there is no change. The tune still utilizes you’re emissions system CAT, SCR, DEF it just turns off senseless EGR and the fuel waisting / soot producing pilot injection and as mentioned better manages the regens & DEF usage. GDE just needs a billing address & a shipping address that is not CA.
I can send it to my uncle's house in Oregon. Sounds like a plan to me

Users who are viewing this thread