5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 easy wire tap for bed lights

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to find an easier way to add lights to the bed of the truck and have the lights turn on and off when the tailgate open and close just like factory.
The information that I found out there was way too complicated and intimidating, for something so simple that required removing and relocating pins on factory plugs, there’s also programming, etc, etc. Yeah, scary stuff.
Here’s what I did.
I removed the ram bin and trim of the rear left passenger floor, located the wire harness that runs under the carpet and find a tan wire with brown stripe. I tapped on the tan w/brown stripe wire, when thru a plug on the floor, and ran a wire to the rear of the truck (I followed the factory wire harness and used zip ties), and finally made the connection to the lights.
When tapping to the Tan w/brown wire, you are actually tapping the cargo light, which gives you all the options you are looking for.

Hopes this helps.

1632708455174.jpeg
1632708498751.jpeg
1632708521082.jpeg
1632708566456.jpeg
1632708593338.jpeg
1632708671130.jpeg

jmt8706

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When I read the title of the thread, I was also thinking to tap into the rear cargo light. Seems you beat me to it, great idea too.

Moosefire66

Reaction score
Does this mean the bed lights will only have power when the cargo lights are on?

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

jimothy

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Looks great! I used the same light strips, except their 3-piece version which also has a strip for end of the bed.

If you have factory bed lights, you can tap into the bed lights by removing one taillight (I used the driver side).

Ellisstrong

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Looks great! I used the same light strips, except their 3-piece version which also has a strip for end of the bed.

If you have factory bed lights, you can tap into the bed lights by removing one taillight (I used the driver side).
I think I want to do this. I need some light at the front of my bed

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score

I have the factory bed lights and wired into those
Works with that light switzh, the tailgate open/close, and the cargo light switch in the cab!

bpd

Reaction score
Nice! I’ve been thinking about doing the same thing. Did you use a relay or power the led lights directly off the tan/brown wire?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Deep Blue

Reaction score
Did you find the adhesive fails after a few months? Typically does so I was thinking to use a better double sided tape from the start.

Le_Slacker

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought actual 3M double sided tape and added to what the light strips came with - they have been up for 2 full winters, and every inch of them are still on strong!

Reaction score
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it doesn't work for me, unless I'm grounding in the wrong spot. Or did you take the ground all the way to the battery? The new lights blink briefly then everything goes out including the 3rd cargo light. Disconnect the tan,brown striped wire and start the engine things go back to normal.

Reaction score
Not sure what I'm doing wrong, but it doesn't work for me, unless I'm grounding in the wrong spot. Or did you take the ground all the way to the battery? The new lights blink briefly then everything goes out including the 3rd cargo light. Disconnect the tan,brown striped wire and start the engine things go back to normal.
Turns out it's the lights from Amazon, doesn't like the splitter, when you unplug one side, it works as designed above. When both are plugged in, havoc sets in...

Reaction score
Turns out it's the lights from Amazon, doesn't like the splitter, when you unplug one side, it works as designed above. When both are plugged in, havoc sets in...
So frustrating, bought the same lights but they must have changed something as it might be overdrawing and tripping something...

Moosefire66

Reaction score
So frustrating, bought the same lights but they must have changed something as it might be overdrawing and tripping something...
Try wiring it with a relay. Have the tapped wire be your trigger for the relay, then it uses battery power for the lights. Takes a bit more to wire up but shouldn't trip the circuit that way

Sent from my SM-G991U1 using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread