5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn, wont turn over unless 13.4 volts applied.

Thmtnman05

Reaction score
My 2019 with 90k miles has a new battery and my alternator works great but when i push the start button frequently it will not turn over but only clicks.
If i apply a jumper cable, still nothing until the volts show above 13.3 then it turns over and starts fine. Any idea what causes this?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
My 2019 with 90k miles has a new battery and my alternator works great but when i push the start button frequently it will not turn over but only clicks.
If i apply a jumper cable, still nothing until the volts show above 13.3 then it turns over and starts fine. Any idea what causes this?
That's normal. Meaning, it won't start with low voltage. You sure your "new" battery is sized correctly or is good? Could also be an issue with whatever tests the voltage in the truck.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I believe you have something draining your battery. Then, when you try to jump start it much of the current from the good battery is being consumed by drained battery until you increase the current flow enough to meet the draw of both the drained battery and the starting system.

Oldphart

Reaction score
Check your battery connections. Make sure there is no corrosion and they are tight.

Thmtnman05

Reaction score
That's normal. Meaning, it won't start with low voltage. You sure your "new" battery is sized correctly or is good? Could also be an issue with whatever tests the voltage in the truck.
A normal battery is 12 volts and this is not normal as i have had the truck for 4 years and this just started. And yes the battery is sized correctly and has been test by 2 different sources. When the truck is not running the battery continues to test at 12 volts as it should. When jumped by another ar running and that cars alternator is putting off hight volts and my truck reaches 13.3 approximately then it will turn over. After running my alternator puts out about 14.2 volts. Something else is wrong.

Thmtnman05

Reaction score
I believe you have something draining your battery. Then, when you try to jump start it much of the current from the good battery is being consumed by drained battery until you increase the current flow enough to meet the draw of both the drained battery and the starting system.
Nothing is draining the battery, it is new and is holding a strong 12 volts its been tested multiple times.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
A normal battery is 12 volts and this is not normal as i have had the truck for 4 years and this just started. And yes the battery is sized correctly and has been test by 2 different sources. When the truck is not running the battery continues to test at 12 volts as it should. When jumped by another ar running and that cars alternator is putting off hight volts and my truck reaches 13.3 approximately then it will turn over. After running my alternator puts out about 14.2 volts. Something else is wrong.
It is 100% normal for the truck not to start with low voltage. My statement holds true.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
My truck was starting with 11.9v (I replaced the battery)
Make sure you are checking voltage with a meter with the truck OFF.
If you open the door and go to run to see the voltage on the screen, voltage will drop so will not be auccurate.
Have you checked with a voltage meter when it's NOT starting?

The 13V is likely after you already started it and it's charging and has nothing to do with it not starting. A battery does NOT need to be 13V to START the truck.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Nothing is draining the battery, it is new and is holding a strong 12 volts its been tested multiple times.

If it's only reading 12 volts your battery is not healthy; it is severely discharged. Tenths of a volt matter significantly when it comes to current carrying capacity. The resting voltage of a 12 volt car battery should be about 12.6 - 12.8 volts.

My truck has been sitting for 5 days in temperatures below 10 deg F and it still reads over 12.4 volts.

IMG_3200.jpg

The bullets below are from this website.
  • 12.6V volts or above - Your battery is healthy and fully charged. No further action is required.
  • 12.5 volts - Your battery is at a healthy state of charge, but we'd recommend re-checking it within a few days to ensure the voltage hasn't dropped any further.
  • 12.1 - 12.4 volts - Your battery is partially discharged and should be recharged as soon as possible, using a suitable battery charger. The lifespan of your battery will be moderately affected if it remains within this voltage range for extended periods of time.
  • 12.0 volts or below - At 12.0 volts your battery is considered to be fully discharged or 'flat' and should be recharged as soon as possible. The lifespan of your battery will be severely affected if it remains within this voltage range for extended periods of time.

Autozone also indicates a resting battery voltage below 12.5 volts is a discharged battery even at 0 degrees F.

Attachments

• IMG_3200.jpg
    IMG_3200.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 2

Users who are viewing this thread