5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn Keeps Dying Overnight

flowl15

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I purchased a brand new 2019 ram 1500 big horn crew cab, 6'4 bed. The car was fine the first few days but it wouldn't start the next morning. No lights were left on or anything like that. We had it jump started and it worked fine for the rest of the day. Next morning, same problem. Car wouldn't start. Car was giving us the battery light on the dashboard. Had it jump started again and took it to dealer. Dealer couldn't find anything but we pushed them to replace the battery and they did. Car was fine for the next two mornings. Then the morning after, the car wouldn't start again. No lights were left on. I checked the truck before i went to sleep the night before and everything looked ok.
With that being said, has anyone had similar problems with the new ram?
Any ideas what could be happening?

Thank you all

Jordan2929

Reaction score
I would start with just checking the battery connections to make sure they're tight. Or maybe it's a bad battery, my last car came from the factory with a bad battery. Other than that it's very hard to diagnose electrical issues without actually seeing the truck.

PTRAM

Reaction score
Hey everyone

I purchased a brand new 2019 ram 1500 big horn crew cab, 6'4 bed. The car was fine the first few days but it wouldn't start the next morning. No lights were left on or anything like that. We had it jump started and it worked fine for the rest of the day. Next morning, same problem. Car wouldn't start. Car was giving us the battery light on the dashboard. Had it jump started again and took it to dealer. Dealer couldn't find anything but we pushed them to replace the battery and they did. Car was fine for the next two mornings. Then the morning after, the car wouldn't start again. No lights were left on. I checked the truck before i went to sleep the night before and everything looked ok.

Thank you all

No idea, but the dealer that sold that to you should be solving the problem for you. When you spend that kind of money, the dealer should take care of the problems as that is one of the re asons why we purchase new vehicles to begin with in the first place.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Dealer couldn't find anything but we pushed them to replace the battery and they did. Car was fine for the next two mornings.

what diognostic paper work did the dealer give you showing they found nothing. what did the battery load test results show?
take it back, leave it and have them try to start it.

good luck

RetMSGT

Reaction score
Check your lower glove box light. I had to get a new glove box assembly due to the light not shutting off.

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Check your lower glove box light. I had to get a new glove box assembly due to the light not shutting off.
My upper glove box light doesn't shut off when I close the lid, but it does shut off at some point overnight. I've walked up to that door in the morning and verified that the light is off before opening the door. it turns back on as soon as you open the door. I assume the lower glove box would behave similarly. So while this could be contributing to the problem, I don't think it's killing the battery entirely (assuming it shuts off like mine).

Dodgeboy

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Thank you all
By chance, have you noticed if your overhead console is partially dead? The SOS/Assist buttons, the liftgate release button, and the map lights specifically. If it is, this may be the culprit. My dealer found an intermittent short in my overhead console that was drawing down the voltage on the LIN bus, which was causing my battery to go dead after sitting for about 36 hours. They replaced the overhead console (there is actually a TSB out on it) and the problem went away. Unfortunately, the battery itself appears to have been damaged due to it being at such a low voltage, because it drops to 11.8-12.0V after shutting the truck off.

Goatmann

Ram Guru
Reaction score
By chance, have you noticed if your overhead console is partially dead? The SOS/Assist buttons, the liftgate release button, and the map lights specifically. If it is, this may be the culprit. My dealer found an intermittent short in my overhead console that was drawing down the voltage on the LIN bus, which was causing my battery to go dead after sitting for about 36 hours. They replaced the overhead console (there is actually a TSB out on it) and the problem went away. Unfortunately, the battery itself appears to have been damaged due to it being at such a low voltage, because it drops to 11.8-12.0V after shutting the truck off.
another reason this forum ROCKS! it may not be the culprit, but sure does aid in troubleshooting. thanks @Dodgeboy.

flowl15

Reaction score
Hey everyone

Thank you all
UPDATE

So I checked the battery voltage and it was fine. Marking 12.6. I ended up checking the fuses by the battery and when I moved it around the lights in the truck turned on but when I went to start they turned off. So I was thinking there must be a loose connection around there. I ended up adding two nuts to those screws next to the box and tightened them and the truck turned on perfectly. Has been running perfectly ever since I did that. I'm not sure if there are supposed to be nuts on those screws because the ones around them had them but two screws didn't have them. So I am curious as to whether the dealer forgot to put them back when they checked that.

flowl15

Reaction score
I checked but the overhead console is fine now that I got the car up running again. In the end, the battery wasn't the problem. There was a loose connection in the fuses.

gadrius

Reaction score
I would start with just checking the battery connections to make sure they're tight. Or maybe it's a bad battery, my last car came from the factory with a bad battery. Other than that it's very hard to diagnose electrical issues without actually seeing the truck.
I'm having the exact same issue. The dealership said I had a bad battery so they replaced after a brief argument. Problem was solved for about a month and now it's started doing it again. Had the truck towed back to the dealership and now they're telling me the electric evap pump is stuck on. They want $ 700 to repair the pump and a new battery. The truck only has 45k miles on it. FRUSTRATED.

Boston

Reaction score
I'm having the exact same issue. The dealership said I had a bad battery so they replaced after a brief argument. Problem was solved for about a month and now it's started doing it again. Had the truck towed back to the dealership and now they're telling me the electric evap pump is stuck on. They want $ 700 to repair the pump and a new battery. The truck only has 45k miles on it. FRUSTRATED.

I just responded on the thread you opened up. As part of the pollution control system wouldn’t this be part of the longer than bumper to bumper warranty?

Users who are viewing this thread