5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Limited Harman Kardan-Not happy.

DaleD

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Limited with the HK sound system and I am not pleased with bass response. My truck wasn't delivered until May 2019 so I would think it has latest software updates, but I'm not sure. How can I tell if I have latest software? The sound isn't bad, but for 19 speakers, 900 watts, and a ton of money....I was expecting better. Is there a way to manually adjust amp gain, or we just at the mercy of software updates, and a crapy 3 slide eq? Other than that I love my Ram.
Thank you in advance for any helpful information.

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I think you are at the mercy of the software update. People who have had it done rave about it. That said, it wasn’t enough for some and they have upgraded anything from the speakers to the sub. I’d start with the tsb for the hk sound system and see if it gets better before you head down the stereo upgrade path

DaleD

Reaction score
I wonder if I can replace the amp with a better 5 channel without a bunch of modifications? I really would like just a bit more bass, and to have maybe a 5 or 7 band EQ. I'm still amazed that a sound system of this expense only has 3 band.

CJW

Reaction score
I really would like just a bit more bass

Be careful what you wish for. I can't tell if I have the update or not, but considering the the bass is pretty overbearing, I'd assumeI do have it. The mids and highs are still a bit disappointing. Overall, I expected a much richer sound from this speaker system and it's a bit disappointing when playing either SXM or 320k bitrate MP3 files.

Turin

Reaction score
Be careful what you wish for. I can't tell if I have the update or not, but considering the the bass is pretty overbearing, I'd assume I do have it. The mids and highs are still a bit disappointing.
I think it's a personal preference/hearing thing. I'd like a bit more bass and find the highs to be a bit too bright.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
I think it's a personal preference/hearing thing. I'd like a bit more bass and find the highs to be a bit too bright.
I don't think the system is bad. It just needs to be turned better. It has the capability of great deep bass, but it sounds to me like it is centered around 250 Hz, rather than a lower frequency band like 125 & 50 Hz where it would sound much better.

I love a great high end where cymbals sound really good. This system is really harsh in the mids and highs.

This could be fixed so easily if they would just give us a 32 band eq.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Stock system is poorly tuned no doubt. The HK system in the Grand Cherokee is pretty good, these trucks not so much. The factory amplifier tuning makes the subwoofer sound like garbage (large peak around 70 Hz). Whether or not the amp is also affecting the other speakers I can't say... the stock 3.5s are extremely bright and harsh to listen to at high volumes. The 6x9s have low output.

I installed PAC AmpPro to send a flat signal to Rockford Fosgate 8" ported sub and disconnected the factory sub... getting much better bass without having to install an amp or custom box, just running wires.

Replaced the speakers with Infinity 3.5s and 6x9s and overall have much better audio, but still running on the factory amp. Yes, the 3 band EQ sucks, and the factory amp may be terrible in general... but the changes I made ran me about $850 and a few hours of my time without drastically modifying the truck or running wires for every speaker, so I'm content with it.

I don't think the system is bad. It just needs to be turned better. It has the capability of great deep bass, but it sounds to me like it is centered around 250 Hz, rather than a lower frequency band like 125 & 50 Hz where it would sound much better.

I love a great high end where cymbals sound really good. This system is really harsh in the mids and highs.

This could be fixed so easily if they would just give us a 32 band eq.
The stock speakers are not great, certainly not the low power shallow mount sub. It isn't capable of great anything.

The_Chemist

Reaction score
Stock system is poorly tuned no doubt. The HK system in the Grand Cherokee is pretty good, these trucks not so much. The factory amplifier tuning makes the subwoofer sound like garbage (large peak around 70 Hz). Whether or not the amp is also affecting the other speakers I can't say... the stock 3.5s are extremely bright and harsh to listen to at high volumes. The 6x9s have low output.

I installed PAC AmpPro to send a flat signal to Rockford Fosgate 8" ported sub and disconnected the factory sub... getting much better bass without having to install an amp or custom box, just running wires.

Replaced the speakers with Infinity 3.5s and 6x9s and overall have much better audio, but still running on the factory amp. Yes, the 3 band EQ sucks, and the factory amp may be terrible in general... but the changes I made ran me about $850 and a few hours of my time without drastically modifying the truck or running wires for every speaker, so I'm content with it.

The stock speakers are not great, certainly not the low power shallow mount sub. It isn't capable of great anything.
Here is a great video by Savagegeese on car audio. Just thought I'd post a link since it's on topic!

Aberamrod19

Reaction score
I listened to the HK system and listened to the Alpine was more impressed with alpine system, was told Alpine easier to upgrade.

jcraigcx

Reaction score
I too am very disappointed in the factory HK system. I've spent countless hours tinkering with the system and there just aren't enough tuning controls to really impact things. The bass is unpleasant and overbearing at nearly every volume. Dropping it completely out with the 3-band is not impacting the offending frequencies. Its almost like the crossover is way too high and sends signals to the sub that normally wouldn't pass the filter. I dont' know. I love bass and have added amps and subs to many vehicles in the past - something is just not right with the HK bass. I don't find the mids and highs terribly crisp either but thats another story.

Turin

Reaction score
It sounds to me like it is centered around 250 Hz, rather than a lower frequency band like 125 & 50 Hz where it would sound much better.
I think you're right. There's plenty of mid-bass but the low end deep bass is weak. I don't expect the shallow-throw 10" sub in the Ram to compete with the 12" sub I put in my previous truck but I'd like to think it's capable of a bit more.
I too am very disappointed in the factory HK system. I've spent countless hours tinkering with the system and there just aren't enough tuning controls to really impact things. The bass is unpleasant and overbearing at nearly every volume. [...] I don't find the mids and highs terribly crisp either but thats another story.
While I'm happy with my HK system overall you'll get no disagreement from me about wanting more bands in the equalizer.

Personal preferences and ears vary but it's odd that your experience is so wildly different from mine. Have you listened to the HK system in another truck? Maybe there is something wrong with your crossover (or another component).

Kyle_1252002

Reaction score
I too am very disappointed in the factory HK system. I've spent countless hours tinkering with the system and there just aren't enough tuning controls to really impact things. The bass is unpleasant and overbearing at nearly every volume. Dropping it completely out with the 3-band is not impacting the offending frequencies. Its almost like the crossover is way too high and sends signals to the sub that normally wouldn't pass the filter. I dont' know. I love bass and have added amps and subs to many vehicles in the past - something is just not right with the HK bass. I don't find the mids and highs terribly crisp either but thats another story.
Agreed on the bass - it’s loud at a very strange frequency to my ears, as you said, almost like the crossover is set way too high. For lack of a better way to describe it, I hear way too much “buzzy” bass and almost no “thumping” bass.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agreed on the bass - it’s loud at a very strange frequency to my ears, as you said, almost like the crossover is set way too high. For lack of a better way to describe it, I hear way too much “buzzy” bass and almost no “thumping” bass.
It's because the factory amp is sending a huge frequency peak at 70 Hz to the sub, and the 6x9s barely have any bass output at all. Rectify those 2 things and your bass issues will be fixed. The 3.5 speakers are also trash and lack any depth or detail and are too damn bright. I've been much happier with the Infinity Reference speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread