5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 knocking/tapping issue

Haully11

Reaction score
It's unlikely that a bad lifter would have made it this long. You need to try a third dealership or an independent mechanic. Odds are this is manifold related. How many miles on the truck now?
Have always used synthetic and regularly change my oil. 50,600 on truck now. Truck runs like garbage. Bad hesitation/jerking/missing under throttle going up even slight hills. Feels like a transmission shudder. MDS sounds god awful with audible detonation/spark knock. Dealer confirmed rapid misfiring on a previous trip and replaced a “broken” MDS solenoid they claimed was broken when they pulled it out. Regardless it made no difference in the truck at all. Still knocks. Truck hasn’t thrown a CEL for misfiring.

Mopar57

Reaction score
OP - any recent updates? A few weeks ago during some cold weather my truck started making the exact same noise as the last videos you posted. The truck was up to temp however when the knocking started. It is intermittent though and the dealer of course said they didn't hear anything during the 3 days they drove it around. My truck drives fine though...for the time being at least.

Haully11

Reaction score
Nope. 3 dealers and a star case later nobody took it seriously. All dealers told me they couldn't replicate even though I took videos of the truck knocking in their parking lots when I picked it up after they "looked" at it. I was able to finally get one dealer to admit that they never heard the sound in the videos I have and that the noise would be concerning to them but they wouldn't touch it unless they heard it in person. Still knocks today and my warranty expired a few months ago.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nope. 3 dealers and a star case later nobody took it seriously. All dealers told me they couldn't replicate even though I took videos of the truck knocking in their parking lots when I picked it up after they "looked" at it. I was able to finally get one dealer to admit that they never heard the sound in the videos I have and that the noise would be concerning to them but they wouldn't touch it unless they heard it in person. Still knocks today and my warranty expired a few months ago.
If it was noted while under warranty, if something happens, you have proof to fight for warranty repair.

Users who are viewing this thread