5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Fueling issues

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Yea, you need a new tank and/or fuel vent. The fuel vent is likely the actual issue, but it's integrated into the tank in the 2019's (and a few other years too i think - but the replacement parts be separately serviceable).

I also had to have mine replaced for the same reason (also a 2019) but in theory, depending your extended warranty level, it does feel like it would be covered. I paid out of pocket (was around $1200 at my dealer here in NH), because I didn't have any extended warranty.

Here's the parts list w/ my dealer prices. Can be had for less online, etc.

68584756AA (23 gal tank) - $471
68580832AA (Fuel vapor vent) - $126
55366298AA (O ring/fuel pump & level) - $74

+ 3 hours of labor to install.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
Would it be possible to plug up the leak detection pump somehow and just leave the system open to the atmosphere so it will fuel? I’m sure there’s more to it, but it would be nice to just delete the system if trouble arises

Laramie16

Reaction score
Thanks for information, it seems to clearly be a design flaw. Should be covered by warranty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChiTownRamfan

Reaction score
I've only owned my '19 Limited for about 6 weeks or so and have gassed up around 6 times and have had this issue only once, on my last fill up. I also own an '18 Jeep Grand Cherokee that has the same problem only way worse. The trick I learned on the GC is to flip the nozzle upside down and set the handle to full blast and it takes the fuel without shutting off until it's full.......Works for me on the GC and it worked on the Ram.

EDIT: Sorry, after reading this post again I realize what I wrote isn't correct. I do flip the nozzle upside down but I usually set the lever on the first lock (slowest) setting and ramp it up from there if it'll take it. This works great on the GC!....... Time will tell on the Ram.

Last edited:

Laramie16

Reaction score
I will try that! I have tried every angle and speed but that, will try it. Thanks for the info and will let you know how it goes.

Kaldir1934

Reaction score
I deal with this issue. Some pumps is fine, the ones that pump slower. But other ones that pump faster, it causes the pump handle to kinda pulsate, and then cut off at some point. When I'm at a pump that does this, I normally pull the nozzle out more, and then it's okay for the most part. I haven't tried the upside method, but might try that next time I fill up.

Laramie16

Reaction score
I tried that on mine. Didn’t work for me. Truck goes back to dealer tomorrow for more diagnostics. Looks like a new tank for me.

Laramie16

Reaction score
Truck was at dealer today. More diagnostics. Removed ESIM and blew it out. Removed fresh air hose and blew it out. Inspected fuel filler pipe with a boroscope. Said they put fuel in and it worked. I got it back. Went to fill up. It worked for about a minute, which was an improvement but then back to the same old issue.

Fantastipotamus

Reaction score
Feels like you're just making your replacement tank more expensive. :( You can get those parts i listed cheaper online, you could order them up and see if a smaller shop (ideally w/ a non-dealership level hourly billing rate) could do the install.

I've had no issues w/ fueling since the new tank & parts were installed.

Laramie16

Reaction score
I agree with your comments. Thanks for bringing that into focus for me. I’m in Canada and will price out the parts you have listed.

Users who are viewing this thread