5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 dependability rankings, Fiat struggles being LAST out of 31 groups

Electrical

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see you keeping using the "Mopar" name and for good reason. I say this because my next door neighbor owns "Wellborn Musclecar Museum", really nice place.

wellbornmuseum

Yup. I think you get me. Fiat, FCA, and even Chrysler have negative connotations to some... but MOPAR makes me think of the fun stuff!

Cool museum. I'm putting that on my to-be-visited list. Thanks.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
I think I've said it here before but I'll say it again anyway.

I belong to a few Motorcyclist Forums I've owned my fair share of "Problem brands" Namely BMW's and Moto-Guzzi's, We talked about these Ratings at one point and found that over-all A LOT of these surveys really hold no merit In my opinion,

It was being discussed on the BMW forums about how the Motorrad's constantly get lower rankings compared to Say the Japanese brands even coming in dead last sometimes (It also doesn't help that BMW had a SLEW of Final Drive Failures between 05-11 that they were refusing to acknowledge and that reputation haunts them to this day, Same with Ram and their 6 Speed Transmission still haunting them Reputation wise), Someone on the forum dove into the Consumer reports and did some research, The problem they found was that some reports counted "Going back to the dealer for a Warranty Fix to replace a Light Bulb" the same as "My Engine blew a piston out the side" So of course the Bike' Brand's that offer more Electronic rider Comforts were getting hammered by the brands that offered just a basic bike.

As for Ram and their reliability, I have a Lifetime Warranty so I could care-less really, and I'm willing to give them a Chance, I'm willing to give ANY brand a chance if they catch my eye, That's kind of another thing I hate is when people cry and moan about a product being unreliable when they've been the Third or Fourth owner.. :rolleyes:

I do see your concern though it's just like those of us on the Motorcycle forums which were split into two camps which were either "I BOUGHT A 20k+ BIKE AND ITS LAST BLA BLA" or "Well it's Italian so what did you expect?" :LOL:

My own personal spin is if the Truck can make it to 40K with no issues what so ever, I'm happy.. For some reason all my past Vehicles my Mustang included if there was Warranty issues that was gonna happen it was at 30K.. Like the Intake Manifold failure my Mustang had or the Turbo blowing out on my Tremor.. :cautious:

pasteris71

Reaction score
Man, how the hell do I throw $60 thousand at a product that comes in dead last, news from this morning. I want to think that all of the companies have their their problems, BUT DEAD LAST out of 31??? It has me second guessing and thinking that I will be kicking myself for the next few years if I decide to go with RAM. For those that have already made that choice I understand you will be defensive but DEAD LAST??? I am a week or two away from making a decision, I have my RAM picked out with my option list and color. Doing all of the investigating for three months knowing that RAM is picked on for not being reliable, trying to give them a pass and think that things may be changing. I just don't know......

index.html
Here’s an idea, go buy another brand and beat it!

clotagames

Reaction score
Lets set the record straight. Are you talking about the JD Power Rankings? Fiat was last. Your Ram is not a Fiat as someone else stated, Ram was 27th. That is not good I will agree but are you buying a new 2016 truck? If you buy according to the JD Power rankings you need to buy a new 2016 Toyota Tundra. Looks like you can buy what you want. Be a Ram-not a sheep.

JayMann

Reaction score
This just in, Ford just recalled 1.48 million trucks for a transmission potentially downshifting to 1st without any warning...

like I said earlier... you just have to pick your poison.

MDBumblebee

Reaction score
There was an interesting article on autoblog a year ago that also pointed out that the JD Power rankings are not weighted. So, a blown engine is ranked the same as a misaligned piece of trim. JD Power, in my opinion, is worthless in evaluating anything.
OTOH, Consumer Reports ranks the top three trucks in (predicted) reliability for 2019 as the F150, Ram, then Tundra. Owner satisfaction: F150, Ram, and Tundra.
Believe Power or CR? Who cares. Get what you like and buy the extended warranty if you're nervous.

dutchman187

Ram Guru
Reaction score
When did they end the Lifetime warranty and would you happen to know why?

They ended the lifetime as of December 1. However, you can still get something like this:

8 years/125,000 miles 200 dollar deductible. Cost: $2,470.00 (might be a discount code still to save another 365 dollars-payinfull) Two most popular Mopar backed places on here appear to be Zeigler and Clay Robbins. I bought mine from Clay. There are lots of threads on the extended warranties. Not sure how long you own your vehicles for, but if it gives you peace of mind it could be worth it.

ium33

Reaction score
I'll chime in. I have a 19 Ram limited built in June 2018. I've not had the issues some guys have (electrical, leaks) but I've had my front seat covers replaced due to leather flaking, door panel ordered for loose speaker cover, and dash because of a "sun spot".

I can say Ram has been on it and has corrected every issue so far.

For comparison: 2016 range Rover TDI sport trying to shut down with 40 miles on it because the computer could not read the DEF. A 2018 Navigator and 2018 F150 Platinum with absolutely horrible shifting from tranny. The F150 even had some flutter noise every time I let off the accelerator. None of these were first year model vehicles except the Navigator but, in that case, it was the transmission and that was not new.

Neither Land Rover nor Ford/Lincoln did anything to correct the issues. Strike that, Land Rover did flash the computer system which took about 30 minutes. However, the problem happened right after leaving the dealer and they had 0 interest in trying to fix it that day. Their response was "don't turn it off until you come back tomorrow".

Ram has given me a reason to trust them. The others have not.

kmck94

Reaction score
I agree with what you say, my build list changes daily with 12" screen, panoramic roof, and etorque taken off and put back on the list. The water leaks worry me, the etorque reliability (battery, belt), is there really a pay off, the big screen issues. I go to the dealers on Sundays and still see the drain plugs out of position, that should't be.

So you haven't even gotten the truck yet but you are bashing it? Did you post on here just to get people to comment on the forum? Had my truck for 6 months an could not be happier. Ask anyone with a RAM they love it and would never leave. Studies are a joke, you only reach out to certain age groups. It just like reviews you don't know the full picture because typically people only leave bad reviews.

George

Reaction score
So you haven't even gotten the truck yet but you are bashing it? Did you post on here just to get people to comment on the forum? Had my truck for 6 months an could not be happier. Ask anyone with a RAM they love it and would never leave. Studies are a joke, you only reach out to certain age groups. It just like reviews you don't know the full picture because typically people only leave bad reviews.

I am doing my best to gather as much information as I can before I make a rather large purchase that I can barely afford and I will live with for a while. I am glad you like your truck and truly sorry that you are offended, hope the rest of you day goes well.

George

Reaction score
I'll chime in. I have a 19 Ram limited built in June 2018. I've not had the issues some guys have (electrical, leaks) but I've had my front seat covers replaced due to leather flaking, door panel ordered for loose speaker cover, and dash because of a "sun spot".

I can say Ram has been on it and has corrected every issue so far.

For comparison: 2016 range Rover TDI sport trying to shut down with 40 miles on it because the computer could not read the DEF. A 2018 Navigator and 2018 F150 Platinum with absolutely horrible shifting from tranny. The F150 even had some flutter noise every time I let off the accelerator. None of these were first year model vehicles except the Navigator but, in that case, it was the transmission and that was not new.

Neither Land Rover nor Ford/Lincoln did anything to correct the issues. Strike that, Land Rover did flash the computer system which took about 30 minutes. However, the problem happened right after leaving the dealer and they had 0 interest in trying to fix it that day. Their response was "don't turn it off until you come back tomorrow".

Ram has given me a reason to trust them. The others have not.

Yeah, well...that really sucks about all of your car troubles, man I hope I don't bump in to one of your leftovers. Good for you that you trust Ram and hope it turns out to be a good one, sounds like you are due.

naz

Reaction score
I have 2003 ram1500 with 128000 miles I have hauled fire wood my compact tractor on a 22 ft trailer along with cars. I bought a 1998 ford lariat 1500 the tranny blew up evaporator had to be replaced and head gaket had to be replaced while still under warranty .I have on order a 2019 longhorn .

Attachments

• P1000739.JPG
    P1000739.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 7
M

Mdegen93

Man, how the hell do I throw $60 thousand at a product that comes in dead last, news from this morning. I want to think that all of the companies have their their problems, BUT DEAD LAST out of 31??? It has me second guessing and thinking that I will be kicking myself for the next few years if I decide to go with RAM. For those that have already made that choice I understand you will be defensive but DEAD LAST??? I am a week or two away from making a decision, I have my RAM picked out with my option list and color. Doing all of the investigating for three months knowing that RAM is picked on for not being reliable, trying to give them a pass and think that things may be changing. I just don't know......

index.html
Not ram. They literally mean fiat as in the 500, 124 etc

yellowboy

Reaction score
I was on the bubble for a Ram vs. F150. I still have not purchased yet but am leaning towards Ram for 1 reason. The F150 has a big problem with doors NOT latching in cold weather (yes- flying open) in all the current model years from 2015. I think this will end up in a MAJOR recall but Ford is just recommending dealers spray something in the door - and its not working. That alone is a deal killer for me. I am waiting a few more months to get the kinks out of the Ram before I buy.

JayMann

Reaction score
I was on the bubble for a Ram vs. F150. I still have not purchased yet but am leaning towards Ram for 1 reason. The F150 has a big problem with doors NOT latching in cold weather (yes- flying open) in all the current model years from 2015. I think this will end up in a MAJOR recall but Ford is just recommending dealers spray something in the door - and its not working. That alone is a deal killer for me. I am waiting a few more months to get the kinks out of the Ram before I buy.

Yikes - hadn't heard that one yet. The F150 liked to complain a lot about the leather in the nicer trims sagging a bit (that doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me) and a lot of people were having transmission problems with the 10 speed when I was shopping around.

JayMann

Reaction score

He's just me 6 months ago lol

I'm a nervous nelly when it comes time to making big purchases so he's trying to talk himself in and out of whatever thoughts he's struggling with in his head haha - I've been there.

George

Reaction score

I have been in a 2019 F-150 Lariat rental for a couple of weeks now, no door issues. Out of the three I rented it seem to be a nice truck, it does feel every line in the road. Believe it or not Chevy was the best riding one so far (Chevy and Ram entry level, Ford loaded up). Ford's 5.0 is sad, it needs a lot of runway to get going.

Reduxalicious

Reaction score
I have been in a 2019 F-150 Lariat rental for a couple of weeks now, no door issues. Out of the three I rented it seem to be a nice truck, it does feel every line in the road. Believe it or not Chevy was the best riding one so far (Chevy and Ram entry level, Ford loaded up). Ford's 5.0 is sad, it needs a lot of runway to get going.

:unsure:
Compared to what?..
Certainly not our 5.7L Hemi's which are moving more weight
Damn sure not the GM 5.3
GM's 6.2L maybe.
The HO 3.5 TT Ecoboost yea

billyraff

Reaction score
At the Chicago Auto Show last night. (see attached)

I sat in all the Chevy, Ford and Toyota pickups, not one can come close to the interior quality of the rams. The new silverados felt like i was back in 2002, and the F-150 just doesn't bring that much excitement either. Way too much hard black plastic everywhere.

Attachments

• 20190214_204016.jpg
    20190214_204016.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 18

DraKhen99

Reaction score
Yikes - hadn't heard that one yet. The F150 liked to complain a lot about the leather in the nicer trims sagging a bit (that doesn't seem like that big of a deal to me) and a lot of people were having transmission problems with the 10 speed when I was shopping around.

Oh yeah, I have been experiencing the frozen door latches for 2 years now... 2 TSBs applied. So far, so good, with the 2nd fix, but it's scary and I always check my rear doors before I put my kids back there. Sure, they're belted into their car seats, but I am not taking risks with them!

I've also had my IWEs replaced, front diff rebuilt, and brakes turned/replaced every 10k miles. And I bought the truck new. It's got about 33.5k miles on it now. Oh, and 3 new wheels due to corrosion in the "chrome-like PVD" coating. Luckily, I bought the 6yr/100k warranty and maint. pkg., which gets me a day-one loaner car (truck has been at the dealer 27 days out of the 3yrs I've owned it).

The 2015+ F-150 has had more than its fair share of trouble spots, which is what got me looking at the 2019 RAM. I too have not pulled the trigger yet, because I discovered a great Ford service department close to my house, but I'm still tempted!

-John

Users who are viewing this thread