5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 dependability rankings, Fiat struggles being LAST out of 31 groups

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Man, how the hell do I throw $60 thousand at a product that comes in dead last, news from this morning. I want to think that all of the companies have their their problems, BUT DEAD LAST out of 31??? It has me second guessing and thinking that I will be kicking myself for the next few years if I decide to go with RAM. For those that have already made that choice I understand you will be defensive but DEAD LAST??? I am a week or two away from making a decision, I have my RAM picked out with my option list and color. Doing all of the investigating for three months knowing that RAM is picked on for not being reliable, trying to give them a pass and think that things may be changing. I just don't know......

index.html
I don't know if this helps you or not, but this just showed up at Allpar website yesterday (02/14/2019), might possibly change your perspective a bit:
https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/02/chrysler-shows-dramatic-dependability-improvement-43793
It doesn't explicitly include Ram in the ratings, but it is significant for FCA in general.

George

Reaction score
:unsure:
Compared to what?..
Certainly not our 5.7L Hemi's which are moving more weight
**** sure not the GM 5.3
GM's 6.2L maybe.
The HO 3.5 TT Ecoboost yea

I don't
I don't know if this helps you or not, but this just showed up at Allpar website yesterday (02/14/2019), might possibly change your perspective a bit:
https://www.allpar.com/news/2019/02/chrysler-shows-dramatic-dependability-improvement-43793
It doesn't explicitly include Ram in the ratings, but it is significant for FCA in general.

"The FCA results: Chrysler, 1.46 issues/car; Jeep, 1.67; Ram, 1.71; Dodge, 1.78; and Fiat, 2.49 (Alfa Romeo and Maserati did not make the list, presumably due to low 2016 sales). By comparison, among the most popular brands, Hyundai came in at 1.24, Subaru at 1.36, Nissan at 1.37, Ford and Honda at 1.46, and Toyota at 1.08. Fiat did not just make the bottom, but made it by a good margin, with 2.49 problems per car (well over the only other “doublers,” Land Rover, 2.21, and Volvo, 2.04)."

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
"The FCA results: Chrysler, 1.46 issues/car; Jeep, 1.67; Ram, 1.71; Dodge, 1.78; and Fiat, 2.49 (Alfa Romeo and Maserati did not make the list, presumably due to low 2016 sales). By comparison, among the most popular brands, Hyundai came in at 1.24, Subaru at 1.36, Nissan at 1.37, Ford and Honda at 1.46, and Toyota at 1.08. Fiat did not just make the bottom, but made it by a good margin, with 2.49 problems per car (well over the only other “doublers,” Land Rover, 2.21, and Volvo, 2.04)."

Thanks, I see the author updated the article now to include the full report.

The Allpar author made a couple of interesting observations in the update:

(1) "The lighter side is that the difference between the best brand (Lexus) and the worst (Fiat) was just an average of around one and a half trips to the dealer over the span of three years. That means that the gap between, say, Chevrolet and Dodge — 1.15 vs 1.78 — isn’t really all that large."

>>> That's an interesting way to look at it, kind of gives all of the numbers a bit of perspective, eh?

(2) "Oddly, while Chevrolet was #4, GMC was at #22."

>>> Two thoughts that occur to me on point (2), assuming Chevy and GMC pickups are of equivalent "3-year dependability", are (a) it must be Chevy's cars that are bringing up Chevy's average, or (b) GMC truck owners as a group are far more critical and expectant than Chevy truck owners as a group.

Truckin

Reaction score
The only thing I can say my 16 Ram 1500 4x4 crew has 72,000 trouble free miles and I am looking forward to the arrival of my 19 Longhorn!

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I don't

Ram is 1.67 not 2.49 and when you can hit Zero per car then that would be the one to buy,but since its not ever going to be zero your back to what we all said to start with,its a crap shoot! Get you self an extended warranty and jump in a truck and enjoy it! Life is to short to worry that much with it! :)

Ram92131

Reaction score
If it bothers you hat much get another brand and move on. I have the new Ram, Scat-Pack Challenger and a R/T Max Charger and all are above better than anything I have seen on the market. Any one can direct any product if the want...JB.

This. If you don’t have conviction then don’t buy. For the entire time you own it you will second guess yourself. You will agonize over any tiny squeak, and squirm every time you hit a pothole. You will fret that your engine sounds rough, raspy, or “feels sluggish”. If the tranny doesn’t shift perfectly smooth every time you will worry that it’s failing. Your paranoia will get the best of you. Better to buy a Tundra... it’s plain, outdated, and thirsty but its reputation will let you sleep at night.

jkratze1

Reaction score
Ford and Honda 1.46 problems/car, Ram 1.71 problems/car. There seems to be a very small difference percentage wise between different brands. Most brands are pretty close though Toyota's 1.08 is impressive. My truck has been trouble-free after 9600 miles.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Bump on the "Trouble Free". Getting ready to trip 7,000. Any concerns I may have had prior to purchasing my Ivory White Limited, are rapidly fading. I find myself driving around in amazement at how quiet and smooth my truck is. Its as good or better than any "Luxury" vehicle I've ever owned, of which there have been many. The fit and finish on mine rivals high end Mercedes...which is almost hard to say/believe...It's a Ram after all??????

cruz-in

Reaction score
"The lighter side is that the difference between the best brand (Lexus) and the worst (Fiat) was just an average of around one and a half trips to the dealer over the span of three years. That means that the gap between, say, Chevrolet and Dodge — 1.15 vs 1.78 — isn’t really all that large."

Ramit392

Ram Guru
Reaction score
All Brands of The trucks in the last 15 years have really came a long way compared to cars imo. All good. The cost has come a long way right it too...lol. This Ram so far 1200 miles not one single issue what so ever. Very happy with it.

Users who are viewing this thread