5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Big Horn 1500 - Smelly Interior

Wbrudi28

Reaction score
Hello all!

So i've been lurking since 2019 when i got my Big Horn - I noticed there is a dreaded stinky/smelly interior problems with the new style 1500's....I thought I was in the clear until last week when I noticed a stench in my interior. I don't eat in the truck, no food/drinks have spilled. No sunroof, no windows have ever been left open during the rain...

I ran the A/C and dont smell the smell coming from the upper OR footwell vents...i guess my next step is to try and pull back the carpet to see if there is water pooling? How do I check if the rear sliding window has the "crack" to let water in?

Note - we just had about 2 weeks of heavy rains in the Northeast US...that's when I started to notice it!

Any help is appreciated...Also I am not sure how to tag Ram Cares but they have helped in the past so if anyone has advice it would be greatly appreciated! My truck smells like hot garbage!

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's either the AC system or you have a leak. Definitely check for wet carpet. Ramcares won't be able to help you until you interact with your dealer. You get their attention like this...@ramcares.

Wbrudi28

Reaction score
It's either the AC system or you have a leak. Definitely check for wet carpet. Ramcares won't be able to help you until you interact with your dealer. You get their attention like this...@ramcares.
Sounds good thanks for the reply. I just did some more research - i dont see the 1 or 2 cracks above the rear sliding window BUT i am not sure if this is the only tell of a leaking rear slider.

After work i'll check the interior cabin filter, i read there is sometimes a mold/mildew problem there. Although it doesn't have that smell (ive had several classic cars that all eventually get that mold/mildew smell) it smells more like onions/kitchen garbage which i'm not sure is better or worse than mold/mildew lol

i'll have a poke around and some back with results!
@RamCares

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's not just cracked rear window frames that allow water into the cab. Leaking 3rd brake lights are a big problem as well. Good luck, I hope you figure it out, and please post back if/when you figure it out.

Users who are viewing this thread