5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 2500 switchback door handles

Ryan2519

Reaction score
2019 Ram 2500 6.7 laramie.

I am installing midsouth led switchback door handles. I apologize now as wiring is not my strong point but I need help. I have the handles installed on the driverside of the truck, I wired them into the harness for the switchback on the mirror. My problem is the running lights work, but when I turn my blinker on, my mirror directional and the amber on the door handles blinks sporadically, its not consistent with "hyperflash" though, its random flashing. I contacted midsouthLED and they confirmed the boards for the switchbacks will not cause hyperflash and they said the cause of the flashing is that they are wired wrong. I will explain how I have everything wired and if it is not correct or I need to wire to a different circuit other than the mirror switchback please give me your input so I can fix this issue, its driving me insane. Currently wired as follows:

The door handles have 3 wires
White- running lights
Orange- Turn signal
Black- Ground

I have attached a picture of the pin out for the harness for the boost auto running light/signal on the mirror that I tapped into for the switchback handles.

Currently the white wire (running lights) on the handles is running into #2 on the pin out (LEFT MIRROR PARK LAMP FEED)

The orange wire (turn signal) on the handles is running into #4 on the pin out (DRIVER MIRROR TURN SIGNAL DRIVER)

The black (ground) on the handles is running into #3 on the pin out (DRIVER MIRROR LAMP RETURN)

To me this makes sense. But again I'm unsure why the turn signal on my mirror and handles freaks out when turned on. If anyone has any idiea or input as to why this would be happening I would appreciate your help. Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230710_145153_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230710_145153_Chrome.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20230708_162025.jpg
    20230708_162025.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 6
I know exactly what you’re talking about, and you do have them wired the way they are “supposed” to be. The problem is, the turn signal function generated from the door modules on the 2019+ Heavy Duty Rams use PWM that will make aftermarket switchback modules freak out. Basically, whatever duty cycle the turn signal circuit is running on the door modules is not enough to consistently keep the running light circuit shut off during the turn signal usage.
Your only option is to grab the front headlights turn signal circuits at the BCM in the driver side footwell above the brake pedal.

I know exactly what you’re talking about, and you do have them wired the way they are “supposed” to be. The problem is, the turn signal function generated from the door modules on the 2019+ Heavy Duty Rams use PWM that will make aftermarket switchback modules freak out. Basically, whatever duty cycle the turn signal circuit is running on the door modules is not enough to consistently keep the running light circuit shut off during the turn signal usage.
Your only option is to grab the front headlights turn signal circuits at the BCM in the driver side footwell above the brake pedal.
Glad to know I have them wired correctly. And what you said about PWM makes sense. My next question, is there a setting that can be changed with alfaOBD that will allow it to work correctly with the way I have it wired? Or is my only other option to grab the turn signal circuit from somewhere else like you mentioned.

AlfaOBD can’t manipulate the lighting circuits in the door modules. You’re gonna have to run wires out of the doors into the cab to the BCM where the front turn signal wires originate.

AlfaOBD can’t manipulate the lighting circuits in the door modules. You’re gonna have to run wires out of the doors into the cab to the BCM where the front turn signal wires originate.
Jimmy, thanks for your help. Now which wires do I need to splice into at the BCM for the handles. I want to make sure I have this right the first time before splicing into the bcm harness.

@Jimmy07 just to double check im going about this the correct way. I will attach the pictures of the BCM pin outs so you can double check my plan.

Drivers side (left) doors
The white wire (running lights) from the handles will be tapped into #4 on body module C1.

The yellow wire (directional) will be tapped into #14 on body module C4.

ground is ground.

Passeanger side (right) doors
White tapped into #5 on body module C1.

Yellow tapped into #13 on body module C1.

Ground is ground.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230711_113637_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230711_113637_Chrome.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Screenshot_20230711_112610_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230711_112610_Chrome.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
@Jimmy07 just to double check im going about this the correct way. I will attach the pictures of the BCM pin outs so you can double check my plan.

Drivers side (left) doors
The white wire (running lights) from the handles will be tapped into #4 on body module C1.

The yellow wire (directional) will be tapped into #14 on body module C4.

ground is ground.

Passeanger side (right) doors
White tapped into #5 on body module C1.

Yellow tapped into #13 on body module C1.

Ground is ground.
Driver side is C4-14, passenger side is C1-13.

Driver side is C4-14, passenger side is C1-13.
From my understanding the BCM is voltage sensitive, so wiring the switchback handles in from each side won't cause any overload dtc's?

From my understanding the BCM is voltage sensitive, so wiring the switchback handles in from each side won't cause any overload dtc's?
Not voltage, but current. Each turn signal circuit can handle 1.8 amps current draw, which is plenty for adding on those switchback handle LEDs (the front turn signals are drawing under 1 amp each side).

Not voltage, but current. Each turn signal circuit can handle 1.8 amps current draw, which is plenty for adding on those switchback handle LEDs (the front turn signals are drawing under 1 amp each side).
Could I tap into the tail light circuit for the switcback handles? I'm not sure how I feel about tapping into the bcm. And it is not the easiest to get to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back