5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019-2020 ram 1500 Reliability

Firebird

Reaction score
22,ooo miles on my 2019, and zero mechanical issues to date. Had the brake squeal addressed, and weak AC, both fixed and I’m happy

Reaction score
I was looking at tundras as well before I got my current ram. Decided they’re a lot more money for less features. Figured if I would have to spend money on repairing on my ram down the road out of warranty, I’ll be using the money I saved on the ram instead of buying the tundra
Yeah that is very true it’s such a nicer truck to be in that’s for sure

Konrad

Reaction score
2019 Bighorn Hemi eTorque Lvl 2, 22500 miles now, zero issues except for minor Uconnect glitches from time to time. Very happy with the truck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ppowell1983

Reaction score
Yeah that’s very true. I was on the edge of just purchasing a tundra just because of the reliability, but it just does not offer much for the money. But that is awesome to hear man thank you, all of this feedback is making it easier to make this purchase lol.
The cam issue is mainly related to vehicles that don't have their oil changed in appropriate intervals. This is my 4th Hemi and I never had an issue with the cam, I change my oil every 5,000 miles with the ultra platinum synthetic oil. Also, FCA will sell you a 7 year unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty for $2800, which is cheap considering what it can cover and for how long.

Reaction score
The cam issue is mainly related to vehicles that don't have their oil changed in appropriate intervals. This is my 4th Hemi and I never had an issue with the cam, I change my oil every 5,000 miles with the ultra platinum synthetic oil. Also, FCA will sell you a 7 year unlimited mile bumper to bumper warranty for $2800, which is cheap considering what it can cover and for how long.
Yeah that’s what I was thinking and also using the right octane gas which is 89 is best too I read in the manual. Yeah I was thinking of car shield once my warranty is up

rpej88ta

Reaction score
Hello everyone!! I am about to purchase a brand new 2020 ram 1500 North Edition with the 5.7 hemi and 3.92 gears. I am very excited to get it tomorrow. However I would love to see how people’s trucks are holding up and who has the highest mileage on their truck. This will really help nail down my decision to purchase it. Thank you!!!
I have a 2019 Rebel with 20k miles. Not one issue for me and no complaints. Love driving it. I just follow the basic preventative maintenance strategies.

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Rebel with 20k miles. Not one issue for me and no complaints. Love driving it. I just follow the basic preventative maintenance strategies.
Awesome glad to hear it man thank you for your feedback. And what preventative maintenance are you referring to exactly?

J-Cooz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
33,000kms on my limited with etorque and only issue I had was a PCV valve replaced (kept throwing a code)

I wouldn't stress about the camshaft issues. These engines have been around a long time and there's millions on the road.

Makenlegs

Reaction score
Okay awesome thank you for the feedback. No ticking noise or anything like that from your engine? I see people are having camshaft issues
Ticking issues which ended up being lifter replacement at 8k miles. Still in the shop 9-days later. But honestly love the truck other than that

Reaction score
33,000kms on my limited with etorque and only issue I had was a PCV valve replaced (kept throwing a code)

I wouldn't stress about the camshaft issues. These engines have been around a long time and there's millions on the road.
Nice that’s reassuring to hear that about your truck. That is very true

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
30,500 miles on my limited. Rear window frame has a hairline crack, no leaks (been there for at least 6 months, lots of rain here in Michigan currently). Have no complaints, very smooth truck. Don't stress over start up ticks. My previous truck was a 2017 Raptor. At 30,000 miles, that truck's cam phasers sounded like a worn out sewing machine on startup. Once, oil pressure built, quiet as a mouse. That one, I was really concerned about because of how loud it was, and how long it took to quiet down, which is why I dumped the boosted six in favor of a reliable and tested v8.

Reaction score
30,500 miles on my limited. Rear window frame has a hairline crack, no leaks (been there for at least 6 months, lots of rain here in Michigan currently). Have no complaints, very smooth truck. Don't stress over start up ticks. My previous truck was a 2017 Raptor. At 30,000 miles, that truck's cam phasers sounded like a worn out sewing machine on startup. Once, oil pressure built, quiet as a mouse. That one, I was really concerned about because of how loud it was, and how long it took to quiet down, which is why I dumped the boosted six in favor of a reliable and tested v8.
Okay thank you for your feedback. I currently have a 2018 f 150 with the 5.0 engine and the cam phasers do the same thing once the engine is warm I still hear that noise just not as bad so I think something is up with it. Why I’m trading it in today for a ram!

Makenlegs

Reaction score
Their going to get it fixed no problem?
Not sure. I will be very critical of every noise or concern going forward. I have another 9,000 miles to make a lemon law case if I need to. Hope it runs better and quieter than ever, but I have little expectation at this point

Reaction score
Not sure. I will be very critical of every noise or concern going forward. I have another 9,000 miles to make a lemon law case if I need to. Hope it runs better and quieter than ever, but I have little expectation at this point
Are you using the correct oil when you change your oil and are you using 89 octane gas?

silver64

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have 2019 Laramie with 14k on it. I always use 87 octane and I never hear knocks or pings even when towing. So far this truck has been everything I expected and more. The drive trains on these trucks are not particularly new and they have been tried and tested for many years now. I feel like the engine and trans will be the least of your worries if you follow the maintenance schedule.

Users who are viewing this thread