5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 reliability issues?

judygrear94

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
Today i turned in my Tahoe back to the dealership after a year and a half legal battle with GM. Long story short i got a lemon and wanted to get rid of it.
So I'm in the market for a truck. Ive narrowed it down to the Ram 1500 Limited with the 5.7L eTorque or the Ford F150 with the twin turbo V6 (both for towing my travel trailer)
Everyone I talk to complains about the Ram's "reliability" saying that Chrysler Jeep Dodge has had nothing but reliability issues recently - So I thought i would come to the source and ask.
Anyone having issues with their 19? Or has anyone heard of any horror stories with the brand in general? Looking at the post histories got me some info, but nothin appvalley g directly associated with the 19.
Appreciate the help, and hope to join the Ram family soon.

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I haven’t had any issues with mine . My 2016 had a problem with the air ride that kept freezing when the temperature dropped below freezing but from a mechanical point it was great .

saylor

Reaction score
ESPECIALLY in light of what you just went thru - unless you want to do it all over again -

get the ford

but id say get the v8 and not the turbo

LMorris

Reaction score
2012 Ram 1500 5.7 liter hemi. 176,000 miles; very few problems. Will probably buy another Ram in 1-2 years

realralfy

Reaction score
The RAM brand has higher initial quality than Ford per JD Power, and that is an indicator of long term reliability. Furthermore, the internally cammed, naturally aspirated 5.7 hemi has to be more reliable than the boosted Ford

Blahargoue

Reaction score
I had a problem free '17 EcoDiesel and put 66k miles on it. I traded it for my 2020 1500 Laramie Hemi. I now have 10k miles on it. I did have a fueling issue that took 3 visits to resolve (couldn't fill it up without the pump clicking off every 3 seconds). Turned out it was a defective vapor recovery canister that somehow became flooded with gasoline. (It's important not to top up the tank after the pump shuts off.) Problem has been 100% resolved.

I drove GM trucks for years and never had a bad one. But the luxury level, ride quality and interior fit and finish of the Ram was so superior that I switched. I tow a 29' travel trailer that weighs 8k pounds. I will tell you that the Gen 5 truck is a much more stabile tow platform than my Gen 4 truck.

saylor

Reaction score
20210204_115623.jpg

20210204_113513.jpg
20201216_110530.jpg

ya, youre right.

i probably am talkin out my ***.

i never even had a ford.

so ive had both for at least 7 years side by side all day long.

im a mopar man.

i got 2 brand new 2020s right here to go stare at.

i just traded in 2 old ones same same.

and im telling you get the ford.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
You can get a lemon from any manufacturer. There are good dealerships and bad dealerships. The reliability of the Ram 1500 is comparable with that of GM and Ford. Forums for all these are full of people complaining about the problems they are having. For me, it's more in how I'm taken care of if/when there is a problem. And the dealership has a lot to do with this. Shop for a dealership if you're undecided on which truck to buy. Just my 2 cents about this.

bhurst10

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 Non Etorque 392 rear 4 corner air suspension. I have 31k miles on my truck and I have not have any issues so far.
e9f8cfd5f803f22b5d100de1bef4d0f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

HemiDude

Reaction score
So, are you looking for a '19? If so, you are likely looking at used, correct? Or, are you just looking for a year's worth of insight to base your purchase on. I ask because '19 was the first year for the new model Ram, but they have been making these since 2018, so there is a fair amount of data out there.

saylor

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 Limited 5.7 Non Etorque 392 rear 4 corner air suspension. I have 31k miles on my truck and I have not have any issues so far.
e9f8cfd5f803f22b5d100de1bef4d0f8.jpg

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

i dislike red, but i sure like that trailer car

LHarv

Reaction score
Love my 19" Limited, air suspension makes it a dream to tow and hitch things on. Tow my 5500lbs boat all summer and its a beauty. The 5th gen interior/nav and dash in my eyes is better than anything else out there. Its a beautiful truck with the sports car amenities. I've had a couple minor issues at this point but nothing mechanical. This was my first personal purchase of a truck and I'd buy another RAM.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I can only speak for myself, but I bought a brand new 2015 F150 XLT Super 2.7L Ecoboost, it was the first year of a new design back then. I owned it for 4 years, it was absolutely flawless, no issues what so ever, inside or out. The turbo motor was a jewel, fast when you wanted but economical when you took it easy. Great truck.

I then bought a brand new 2019 RAM Rebel, again first year of a new design. Build date Jan 2019, took delivery in July of 2019. So far, in the nearly two years of ownership, it's also been flawless, not a single issue inside or out. It shifts great up and down smoother than any truck I've owned, cold A/C. The Hemi is a touch slower than 2.7L Ecoboost, but it sounds many times better, especially with a aftermarket muffler.

I can't really fault either truck, they are both great in their own ways. Right now, I'm absolutely loving my RAM. However I do get bored every few years and want something different, if I was to consider another truck in the near future, maybe the Silverado Trail Boss with the updated interior for 2022. But even then, it's mechanically inferior to the Ram Rebel. The new F150 isn't doing it for me, looks way too much like the previous generation even though they changed every single body panel. Interior still not as nice as the RAM. Supposedly the all new Tundra is going to make a big leap into relevance with their new truck, interested to see what they come with.

Last edited:

wallyuwl

Ram Guru
Reaction score
ESPECIALLY in light of what you just went thru - unless you want to do it all over again -

get the ford

but id say get the v8 and not the turbo
I had a 2018 F-150 with the V8 and I 100% disagree with this. I had nothing but problems, including the engine. And they were widely reported problems,, and most were not fixed as of 2020 model year.

The RAM is so much nicer and at a better price. It does seem the 2019 RAMs as the first year of the total redesign are more problematic than 2020 or 2021. I have the 3.21 and think my truck tows better than the Ford did (3.55 gears and 10 speed) for power and stability.

Last edited:

SD Rebel

Reaction score
I don’t think used prices have enough discount from new prices to justify buying used.

Yup, exactly right. You get big discounts on a new truck, which you won't get with used. I got 25% off my truck due to heavy quarterly discounts by FCA. The MSRP of my truck was $54,000, I paid $39,000 with discounts.

Right now, you see used Rebels listed for $45,000, which is current blue book value for my truck. So in less than two years of ownership, my truck is worth more than $10,000 of what I currently owe on my loan, even though I put Zero down and didn't trade anything in. If I bought another sedan, it would have gone the other way.

That's hard to do with a used truck with no factory discount.

Richard320

Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I've got a 2019. It's just about due for its third oil change. It's been to the dealer for two oil changes and to have the ANC reprogrammed to get rid of an annoying resonance. No other problems. I'd call it reliable.

dandar

Reaction score
I have 2019 Limited. The only issue was the 12" screen that would sometimes stick on backup camera. That got fixed with over the air update. Never had any other issues...except the stock Goodyear tires are at 4/32 after just 18 thousand miles and it's middle of winter. These are probably the only Goodyears without treadwear warranty, I guess I know why.

Mirowpl

Reaction score
I am on my third ram, having owned a 2003, a 2009 and now a 2020. All have been excellent trucks with no real issues Outside of recalls. Both the 2003 and 2009 had over 175k when I got rid of them. Like any vehicle or truck, you do need to take care of them and do the maintenance on them and address potential issues early. i also agree with several others posters who have said you will probably get a better deal on a new truck than a used 2019. Just my 2 cents.

silver billet

Reaction score
All trucks have problems. All brands produce lemons from time to time. Buy what you want, not what other people tell you is better because all 3 American brands are 100% the same thing. It's the law of statistics, more people buy fords so more people will tell you they are better.

If you buy a Ford, stay away from the turbos, they have issues with condensation in the intercoolers, stretched timing chains etc.

Only Toyota has any bragging rights for quality and longevity, but that's because they're still building new trucks using 20 year old parts.

Users who are viewing this thread