5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 Mild Hybrid Battery Failure

Jvmes1

Reaction score
Has anyone had success getting Chrysler to cover/partially cover a replacement of the 48v battery that’s part of the mild hybrid system on the 2019 1500? I have a 3.6L non-e-torque model. I never knew it had the mild hybrid system until the engine light came on and the code was for the 48v lithium battery. It’s at 63K mi (all svcs done by the book & on time by the dealer) and is at the dealer now for official diagnosis. I know the system is covered to 60k so it sucks to know I might be on the hook for $2k+ for this. Just wondering if anyone’s dealt with this and had any success getting an exception from Chrysler.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Has anyone had success getting Chrysler to cover/partially cover a replacement of the 48v battery that’s part of the mild hybrid system on the 2019 1500? I have a 3.6L non-e-torque model. I never knew it had the mild hybrid system until the engine light came on and the code was for the 48v lithium battery. It’s at 63K mi (all svcs done by the book & on time by the dealer) and is at the dealer now for official diagnosis. I know the system is covered to 60k so it sucks to know I might be on the hook for $2k+ for this. Just wondering if anyone’s dealt with this and had any success getting an exception from Chrysler.
You have to have eTorque if you have the 48v battery. Non-eTorque trucks don't have a 48v battery. I believe it's covered under a 100,000 mile warranty.

Jvmes1

Reaction score
You have to have eTorque if you have the 48v battery. Non-eTorque trucks don't have a 48v battery. I believe it's covered under a 100,000 mile warranty.
I have the one that doesn’t say e-torque on the hood and has a normal alternator, but has what they call a mild hybrid system where the 48v lithium batt behind the bench seat assists the motor when accelerating and works when the auto-off feature is engaged. I have the certified warranty (100k) but dealer says it’s not covered under that (if it is indeed the lithium batt).

vincentw56

Reaction score
I have the one that doesn’t say e-torque on the hood and has a normal alternator, but has what they call a mild hybrid system where the 48v lithium batt behind the bench seat assists the motor when accelerating and works when the auto-off feature is engaged. I have the certified warranty (100k) but dealer says it’s not covered under that (if it is indeed the lithium batt).
I think you are confused. They didn't start putting badges on until 2021. You don't have a regular alternator. That big motor on top of the engine is the eTorque motor.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My understanding is that all 5th-gen V6 engines (since 2019) are eTorque-equipped. The eTorque system is covered under the 8 year / 80K mile federal emissions warranty. I haven't had to get into this with mine, so I can't speak to the battery. Any extended warranty (even my Mopar Lifetime MaxCare warranty) won't cover the battery, but the federal warranty might supercede this.

smashweights

Reaction score
Open your 2019 warranty booklet for them:

From Page 17
B. Parts Covered For 8 Years Or 80,000 Miles
If your vehicle has one of the following parts, this
Federal Emission Warranty covers that part for a period
of 8 years or 80,000 miles, whichever occurs first,
calculated from the start of the Basic Limited Warranty
as set forth in Section 2.1 E. The covered parts are:
• Belt Driven Hybrid Starter Generator Assembly
• Catalytic Converter
• Powertrain Control Module
Power Pack Unit - 48 Volt

If you have a battery pack you have an eTorque, which is all the 3.6L motors

Ellisstrong

Reaction score
My understanding is that all 5th-gen V6 engines (since 2019) are eTorque-equipped. The eTorque system is covered under the 8 year / 80K mile federal emissions warranty. I haven't had to get into this with mine, so I can't speak to the battery. Any extended warranty (even my Mopar Lifetime MaxCare warranty) won't cover the battery, but the federal warranty might supercede this.
This is correct. The battery pack is covered under the 8 year 80k emissions warranty stuff

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
To summarize, if you have the 48V battery module you have etorque. All 5th gen 1500's with the 3.6L v6 are equipped with etorque. Etorque is what makes it a mild hybrid. And they didn't start putting the etorque badges on until the 2021 model year. You absolutely have a truck equipped with etorque. How many miles are on your truck? As far as years go you're still inside the 8 years part, but if you're past 80k miles the battery will not be covered under the 8/80k federal emissions warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/