5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 - Lane Sense camera?

EddyB

Reaction score
Background:
7/7 - Had windshield replaced with aftermarket glass after a crack, Lanesense / forward collision/ACC non-functional
7/8 - Successfully calibrated forward collision/ACC, Lanesense still not functional
7/15 - Recalibration still not successful on Lanesense, shop suggests OEM glass
7/24 - Reinstall with OEM glass, Lanesense calibration still not successful
7/26 - Tech states that after recal, including a more involved process through a next level support company, and talking with other techs, that they recommend replacing the Lanesense camera, to be re-programmed by the dealer (they could not ID any physical damage)

My question - if there is something wrong with the Lanesense camera, is it the same camera that handles forward collision? Or is that a different system?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Was it working before they replaced the glass? If so, they may have caused an issue. The DASM as it is called, has a camera and radar. The camera is used for lane sensing. The radar is used for ACC and FCW. Did they make sure the camera lens was clean? There is no difference between the OEM windshield and an aftermarket. As long as it has that cutout for the camera, it will "see" just fine. They either damaged something or just don't know what they are doing. Maybe have a dealer fix it and make them pay for it. Either way, if it was working before, they should be liable. Can you send a picture of the windshield? Maybe they installed the wrong one. There are different onces depending on the options.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
The lane sense camera is the same camera that handles forward collision warning and adaptive cruise.
Ask the tech if there is a vehicle configuration mismatch fault stored in the DASM (that is the lane sense camera).
I think I know what’s going on, and if that fault is stored, a new DASM wo

EddyB

Reaction score
Was it working before they replaced the glass? If so, they may have caused an issue. The DASM as it is called, has a camera and radar. The camera is used for lane sensing. The radar is used for ACC and FCW. Did they make sure the camera lens was clean? There is no difference between the OEM windshield and an aftermarket. As long as it has that cutout for the camera, it will "see" just fine. They either damaged something or just don't know what they are doing. Maybe have a dealer fix it and make them pay for it. Either way, if it was working before, they should be liable. Can you send a picture of the windshield? Maybe they installed the wrong one. There are different onces depending on the options.
It was working prior. They claimed with the windshield to OEM that sometimes aftermarket glass has defects that can hinder the camera's vision. ACC and forward collision are working, just not lanesense, which will turn on, but cannot accurately determine lanes, and thinks I'm riding the driver side when I'm dead center.

vincentw56

Reaction score
The lane sense camera is the same camera that handles forward collision warning and adaptive cruise.
Ask the tech if there is a vehicle configuration mismatch fault stored in the DASM (that is the lane sense camera).
I think I know what’s going on, and if that fault is stored, a new DASM wo
According to the service manual, ACC and FCW are handled by the radar and camera. The radar sends out a cone shaped signal. So, they can adjust the radar, and it would still work.

Attachments

• 08 - Electrical_8B - Chime_Buzzer_Driver Assist_Description FULL SPEED RANGE FORWARD COLLISIO...pdf
    110.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 08 - Electrical_8B - Chime_Buzzer_Driver Assist_Description LANE DEPARTURE WARNING.pdf
    148.1 KB · Views: 8

vincentw56

Reaction score
It was working prior. They claimed with the windshield to OEM that sometimes aftermarket glass has defects that can hinder the camera's vision. ACC and forward collision are working, just not lanesense, which will turn on, but cannot accurately determine lanes, and thinks I'm riding the driver side when I'm dead center.
Well, like Jimmy said, there may be a fault stored about the vehicle mismatch. TBH, you might be better off taking it to a dealership to get it fixed. The glass company doesn't seem to know much about what they are doing. I would be on them to make it right for sure.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
How are glass companies getting away with this? Or may be how is Ram getting away with locking the proper procedures before dealership software?

Unless they can do the job right the first or second time they should be paying for it to be taken to a dealership to attempt to get it fixed properly. Besides touching glass and a couple of screws that should be hands off.

My glass has been replaced twice and no one was allowed to plug into anything and it all works perfectly. Same with tons of other people.

EddyB

Reaction score
Well, like Jimmy said, there may be a fault stored about the vehicle mismatch. TBH, you might be better off taking it to a dealership to get it fixed. The glass company doesn't seem to know much about what they are doing. I would be on them to make it right for sure.
What should I be telling the dealership to get a pointed response? I'll call safelite this afternoon to make sure they are going to cover the issue.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Or may be how is Ram getting away with locking the proper procedures before dealership software?
I don't see how this is Ram's fault. They don't lock anything. Glass companies have the ability to realign everything using their devices. This particular one sounds like they have no idea what they are doing.

vincentw56

Reaction score
What should I be telling the dealership to get a pointed response? I'll call safelite this afternoon to make sure they are going to cover the issue.
Just tell them what happened. Tell them you had the glass replaced; everything works except lane keep assist. And the glass company can't figure out the issue.

Jimmy07

Honorary Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
How performed all of the camera calibrations on your windshields, safelite tech or a dealership tech?

EddyB

Reaction score
Tech responded to me and said there were no DASM errors, and no errors were produced when they were attempting to calibrate.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't see how this is Ram's fault. They don't lock anything. Glass companies have the ability to realign everything using their devices. This particular one sounds like they have no idea what they are doing.
Glass companies having the ability to realign everything is debate.
There are likely some dealership tools they are not allowed to acquire\use if I had to guess. Not sure if this is the problem, but it's kind of odd that tons of glass companies re-calibrate the ram and all break them in various ways. Leads me to think either improper tools, documentation, or training.

There are laws for some security devices such as "Federal law does prevent a repair shop from removing an operating air bag". If there is a problem with these security systems then it would be the same thing and people getting new glass would be forced to also get a new DASM system. Just letting random companies work on "safety" equipment is kind of silly if it is not regulated and clearly is a problem.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Glass companies having the ability to realign everything is debate.
There are likely some dealership tools they are not allowed to acquire\use if I had to guess. Not sure if this is the problem, but it's kind of odd that tons of glass companies re-calibrate the ram and all break them in various ways. Leads me to think either improper tools, documentation, or training.

There are laws for some security devices such as "Federal law does prevent a repair shop from removing an operating air bag". If there is a problem with these security systems then it would be the same thing and people getting new glass would be forced to also get a new DASM system. Just letting random companies work on "safety" equipment is kind of silly if it is not regulated and clearly is a problem.
So, you are saying that every glass repair company that replaces the windshield on a Ram and re-calibrates the DASM, breaks them. Every. Single. One.? I am sure if that is not the case. I personally know several Ram owners who have had windshields replaced along with the DASM recalibrated with zero issues. Not by a dealer, but by 3rd party windshield companies. I do agree it has to do with improper training. They have all the tools they need to do the work properly.

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, you are saying that every glass repair company that replaces the windshield on a Ram and re-calibrates the DASM, breaks them. Every. Single. One.? I am sure if that is not the case. I personally know several Ram owners who have had windshields replaced along with the DASM recalibrated with zero issues. Not by a dealer, but by 3rd party windshield companies. I do agree it has to do with improper training. They have all the tools they need to do the work properly.
Obviously not saying every single one, but I see more horror stories then anyone saying anything was correct.
Maybe I just don't see it, but I don't recall this being a problem for other brands.

Twhits1500

Reaction score
Background:
7/7 - Had windshield replaced with aftermarket glass after a crack, Lanesense / forward collision/ACC non-functional
7/8 - Successfully calibrated forward collision/ACC, Lanesense still not functional
7/15 - Recalibration still not successful on Lanesense, shop suggests OEM glass
7/24 - Reinstall with OEM glass, Lanesense calibration still not successful
7/26 - Tech states that after recal, including a more involved process through a next level support company, and talking with other techs, that they recommend replacing the Lanesense camera, to be re-programmed by the dealer (they could not ID any physical damage)

My question - if there is something wrong with the Lanesense camera, is it the same camera that handles forward collision? Or is that a different system?
EddyB, I have almost the exact same timeline and also with Safelite. Similar story--exact same symptoms. I have been to Safelite 4 times--1st time for initial change, 2nd time in their shop for calibration re-try, 3rd time to put in OEM glass, 4th time for a heart to heart with the Manager (not arguing but just simply a where do we go from here conversation). Then 2 times to dealer. Dealer re-programed after the Safelite install of the OEM glass and re-calibrated. Still not working. Mine is a bit more complicated because it is an insurance claim--just inasmuch as who is responsible for payment and getting this fixed. The last communication from earlier this week was from a Safelite National Account guy. I will see if I can post the transcript. But the message is that the software my truck was running before and the latest software update to the DASM is no longer compatible with the calibration tools that they are using at Safelite or at the dealership. Dealership hasn't indicated that but it makes sense since their efforts haven't been successful either. So, we wait... I will keep you posted if you don't mind doing the same as to resolution.

EddyB

Reaction score
EddyB, I have almost the exact same timeline and also with Safelite. Similar story--exact same symptoms. I have been to Safelite 4 times--1st time for initial change, 2nd time in their shop for calibration re-try, 3rd time to put in OEM glass, 4th time for a heart to heart with the Manager (not arguing but just simply a where do we go from here conversation). Then 2 times to dealer. Dealer re-programed after the Safelite install of the OEM glass and re-calibrated. Still not working. Mine is a bit more complicated because it is an insurance claim--just inasmuch as who is responsible for payment and getting this fixed. The last communication from earlier this week was from a Safelite National Account guy. I will see if I can post the transcript. But the message is that the software my truck was running before and the latest software update to the DASM is no longer compatible with the calibration tools that they are using at Safelite or at the dealership. Dealership hasn't indicated that but it makes sense since their efforts haven't been successful either. So, we wait... I will keep you posted if you don't mind doing the same as to resolution.
Will do, I responded to your message as well.

That is similar to what the lead tech I spoke to was saying that he thinks their tablet software is no longer able to program the unit for lane sense, as has been an issue for them for awhile.

Ram/Bunctious

Reaction score
Seems things have gone quiet on this issue. Can anyone respond to possible resolutions?

Users who are viewing this thread