5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2018 GMC frame rust *Pictures*

Yedi

Reaction score
I work at a GMC dealership in the bodyshop. I've taken a lot of crap for buying a "Fiat" as they like to call my 2019 Rebel. Here's my latest reason why I won't touch a new GM truck (or anything made since the early 90's)

GM's frames are bare metal dipped in a black wax coating, no e coat, nothing ...bare metal.

This truck has 15,800 miles on it, and only a 2018. I've seen this over and over on alot of other trucks. Unreal.

This wax coating starts falling off on every corner, edge, bolt etc and the rust starts creeping under the coating, nothing to stop it. And it never dries, total mess to work on anything under these trucks..

Also, note pics of the shocks that are rotten, and my other favorite the 4x4 "knob" right above the identical headlight switch. Wonder how many guys accidentally shifted to 4x4 instead of turning lights on? But, the shift knob in a RAM is girly??? Hahaha

Love my 19' Rebel, thought I'd share these.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190626-224310.png
    Screenshot_20190626-224310.png
    383 KB · Views: 275
  • Screenshot_20190627-111244.png
    Screenshot_20190627-111244.png
    414.1 KB · Views: 278
  • Screenshot_20190627-111217.png
    Screenshot_20190627-111217.png
    509.1 KB · Views: 292
  • Screenshot_20190627-111224.png
    Screenshot_20190627-111224.png
    579.6 KB · Views: 303
  • Screenshot_20190627-111202.png
    Screenshot_20190627-111202.png
    335.9 KB · Views: 287

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Where abouts do you live?

My 2015 has very minor surface rust on the frame at 100k miles. Nothing like what's pictured. Yikes.

Historically GMs seem to have frame rust issues. Lost count of the number of "V" shaped 90's era silverados i've seen with the beds hitting back of cabs. Brother in law had a 04 F150 frame rot right through the box frame under the cab. My 04 Ram 1500 with similar miles had body rust but no structural rust issues with the frame

moosem

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2015 SIERRA looked similar to this in less than a year. My neighbor at the time had a DENALI and his was way worse than mine with like 3000 miles on it. They're junk.

Yedi

Reaction score
Where abouts do you live?

My 2015 has very minor surface rust on the frame at 100k miles. Nothing like what's pictured. Yikes.

Historically GMs seem to have frame rust issues. Lost count of the number of "V" shaped 90's era silverados i've seen with the beds hitting back of cabs. Brother in law had a 04 F150 frame rot right through the box frame under the cab. My 04 Ram 1500 with similar miles had body rust but no structural rust issues with the frame

Wisconsin. They like to spread salt and spray liquid crap on the roads that eats cars alive if not washed off.

Wished people learned to drive use the proper tires, and sand would be just fine

Rustydodge

Reaction score
Wisconsin. They like to spread salt and spray liquid crap on the roads that eats cars alive if not washed off.

Wished people learned to drive use the proper tires, and sand would be just fine

Iowa has the same problem. Even worse when they spray that crap and all it does is drizzle, or just gets cloudy.

Should sue the DOT for wasting taxpayer dollars and rusting vehicles....;)

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of that flimsy coating they put on their trucks. It just looks and feels so cheap. Glad I went with my ram

NEVER AGAIN

Reaction score
I work at a GMC dealership in the bodyshop. I've taken a lot of crap for buying a "Fiat" as they like to call my 2019 Rebel. Here's my latest reason why I won't touch a new GM truck (or anything made since the early 90's)

GM's frames are bare metal dipped in a black wax coating, no e coat, nothing ...bare metal.

This truck has 15,800 miles on it, and only a 2018. I've seen this over and over on alot of other trucks. Unreal.

This wax coating starts falling off on every corner, edge, bolt etc and the rust starts creeping under the coating, nothing to stop it. And it never dries, total mess to work on anything under these trucks..

Also, note pics of the shocks that are rotten, and my other favorite the 4x4 "knob" right above the identical headlight switch. Wonder how many guys accidentally shifted to 4x4 instead of turning lights on? But, the shift knob in a RAM is girly??? Hahaha

Love my 19' Rebel, thought I'd share these.
I would take a rusted out Chevrolet/GMC over a Ram any day. I will NEVER go back to Ram.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I would take a rusted out Chevrolet/GMC over a Ram any day. I will NEVER go back to Ram.
4 posts, all anti-Ram. You’ve made your feelings pretty clear.

My last two trucks were GM products (Chevy, then GMC). Both solid. So is my Ram.

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My buddy has a 2015 Denali and a 2017 Ram and he is amazed at how much GMC didn't add or do with his Denali. He said "you would think there is 10 model years between these two trucks" He is trying to rid himself of his Denali but nobody is willing to pay him squat for it. I almost bought his Ram so he wouldn't have two payments but then the 2019 Ram came out and it was a no brainer for what I was going to purchase.

Yedi

Reaction score
My buddy has a 2015 Denali and a 2017 Ram and he is amazed at how much GMC didn't add or do with his Denali. He said "you would think there is 10 model years between these two trucks" He is trying to rid himself of his Denali but nobody is willing to pay him squat for it. I almost bought his Ram so he wouldn't have two payments but then the 2019 Ram came out and it was a no brainer for what I was going to purchase.

agree. My dad has a Canyon Denali. No Power sliding rear window, just manual. No back up sensors even. Just drove another new 19' GMC Denali in the shop today, can not believe how much the seats and interior suck. Nobody in their right mind can say the GM's interior even hold a candle to the RAM, 2 different worlds. Think Im bluffing, go sit in one compared to your RAM

NEVER AGAIN

Reaction score
Sure, GM might've missed to mark on interior compared to the Ram but I don't give a rip about how nice an interior is when talking about durability in & out and functionality of the technology. I will be staying away from Ram simply because of the issues ( transmission, gas mileage, interior durability, etc.) that I have experienced and close people that I know. I've given them too many chances. This is just me speaking on my experience... I understand all companies have issues but I have had countless trucks and have found that GM is where i'm staying.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Sure, GM might've missed to mark on interior compared to the Ram but I don't give a rip about how nice an interior is when talking about durability in & out and functionality of the technology. I will be staying away from Ram simply because of the issues ( transmission, gas mileage, interior durability, etc.) that I have experienced and close people that I know. I've given them too many chances. This is just me speaking on my experience... I understand all companies have issues but I have had countless trucks and have found that GM is where i'm staying.
Since you’re not a Ram owner, tell us about the GM truck(s) you have right now.

NEVER AGAIN

Reaction score
I'm here because I can be and not all members on this forum are happy campers when it comes to their current/previous trucks

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm not a brand loyal guy by any means but this is my second Ram in a row because I was very happy with the quality of my 2014 Ram which had 0 issues, no rattles, and the interior held up well with the seats and everything else still looking new. Now my coworker with a GMC Sierra can't even keep lights in the thing without them burning out.

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So why are you here?

220px-Forbidden-151987.svg.png

:)

11b101abn

Reaction score
I'm here because I can be and not all members on this forum are happy campers when it comes to their current/previous trucks

So, you feel "entitled"? You do understand there is not actual freedom of speech on a private site, and that you can be shown the door at any time for any or no reason at all?

NEVER AGAIN

Reaction score
So, you feel "entitled"? You do understand there is not actual freedom of speech on a private site, and that you can be shown the door at any time for any or no reason at all?
Shown the door because I’m expressing my experience and thoughts? Wow, ok. Be a little more realistic in the fact that not everyone is happy with their current/previous vehicle.

Last edited:

riccnick

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Shown the door because I’m expressing my experience and thoughts? Wow, ok. Be a little more realistic in the fact that not everyone is happy with their current/previous vehicle.

Hopefully you'll stick around and offer any constructive advise you may have to some of us that do have issues with our trucks, as there are a few, admittedly, and your experience dealing with some of these issues on a 5th gen DT Ram I'm sure would come in handy. Personally, mines been a good one, and other than a few extreme cases on here, most seem pretty happy. Like mentioned, this is a privately run forum, on the internet of all places, so don't think that you cant be tossed out over something you don't agree with. It doesn't seem to be like that around here, as everyone is pretty open minded. But as always, throwing nothing but punches isn't really considered constructive to any conversation, on a forum or not, and good forum etiquette is what keeps this place civil.

Users who are viewing this thread