5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2016 3500 ----> 2019 1500 500 mile thoughts

tysmith

Reaction score
Not quite at 500 miles. here's what I know.

My Ivory tri-coat paint all matches pretty good.
Factory 22's ride pretty decent.
First tank of fuel, about 1/2, yielded a hand calc'd 13.8
Second fill, about 1/2 tank, yielded a hand calc'd 15.2
Eco light is on a lot, my driving is mostly rural. Also see it on highway.
SiriusXM failed today, Sirius says they are 'working on it'
3.21 gears haven't hurt my feelings yet. First gas truck in 25 years.
My kids, 7 and 10, have pushed every button more than any test FCA could have completed.

So far, so good.

Reaction score
Not quite at 500 miles. here's what I know.

My Ivory tri-coat paint all matches pretty good.
Factory 22's ride pretty decent.
First tank of fuel, about 1/2, yielded a hand calc'd 13.8
Second fill, about 1/2 tank, yielded a hand calc'd 15.2
Eco light is on a lot, my driving is mostly rural. Also see it on highway.
SiriusXM failed today, Sirius says they are 'working on it'
3.21 gears haven't hurt my feelings yet. First gas truck in 25 years.
My kids, 7 and 10, have pushed every button more than any test FCA could have completed.

So far, so good.

What is the “Eco Light” and where is it located?

I have a Big Horn Fully Loaded features

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Patsy1099

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What is the “Eco Light” and where is it located?

I have a Big Horn Fully Loaded features

Eco light lets you know MDS is activated and 4 of your cylinders deactivate going from 8 to 4, becoming more efficient. You have to enable the Eco light thru your Uconnect (radio) settings. It doesn’t change whether MDS activates or not (you can only control that thru the “gear limit” on steering wheel by setting it to “8” each time you start the vehicle), it just changes whether the Eco light shows up on your dash. Some people like to see it while others probably get annoyed seeing it flash on/off repeatedly.

Last edited:

tysmith

Reaction score
Eco light on mine is on left of center cluster. Pretty sure you have to enable it to 'on' in uconnect settings. Just a telltale for when MDS is active.

Reaction score
Eco light lets you know MDS is activated and 2 of your cylinders deactivate going from 8 to 6, becoming more efficient. You have to enable the Eco light thru your Uconnect (radio) settings. It doesn’t change whether MDS activates or not (you can only control that thru the “gear limit” on steering wheel by setting it to “8” each time you start the vehicle), it just changes whether the Eco light shows up on your dash. Some people like to see it while others probably get annoyed seeing it flash on/off repeatedly.

Sweet I’ll check it out, thanks!

I liked having that on my Civic and current CR-V, so I think it will be good for me.

Nails

Ram Guru
Reaction score
To correct info that was said above with sure miss type.......MDS system, when engaged is 4 cylinder mode not 6. 4 live 4 not.

NordicNevs

Reaction score
Has the fact it’s not a diesel hurt your feelings? I ask because I have to continuously remind myself that we it’s ok it’s ok but I MISS MY DIESELS though I have no need for one anymore.

tysmith

Reaction score
It was a hard choice. I wanted my wife to get a Yukon Denali Xl, and I would have kept my 3500. But she loves the size of her '18 Traverse High Country.

It's only been a week, but so far I'm ok. All of my work trucks are Cummins powered. This vehicle for me became a comfort choice over fuel. That said, if this cab were on the HD's, I'd have gotten another 3500 in a heartbeat. We use my pickup for family trips that take us off the beaten path, so at most we just have the four of us and our gear. The 1500 is plenty capable of that.

Before I bought this truck, I drove my buddies '19 1500 Bighorn on a ski trip we took with four guys. Truck had no issue on hills with all of us, so I deemed it adequate to haul my family. The Hemi does flip the script to horsepower vs torque of the diesel.

Anybody that daily drives an HD pickup with a diesel should not be concerned about switching to a 1500. It is 2019. Back when I ordered my first '01 Duramax, 300hp/520tq was impressive. Hemi is what, 395/410 or something? Different delivery, but similar result.

I'll have another diesel, I'm sure. It's just in my blood. My first ride was an '85 740 Volvo turbo diesel, churning out 95 hp and a couple hundred tq's! Lol. But these 1500's are great trucks, and plenty capable.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It was a hard choice. I wanted my wife to get a Yukon Denali Xl, and I would have kept my 3500. But she loves the size of her '18 Traverse High Country.

It's only been a week, but so far I'm ok. All of my work trucks are Cummins powered. This vehicle for me became a comfort choice over fuel. That said, if this cab were on the HD's, I'd have gotten another 3500 in a heartbeat. We use my pickup for family trips that take us off the beaten path, so at most we just have the four of us and our gear. The 1500 is plenty capable of that.

Before I bought this truck, I drove my buddies '19 1500 Bighorn on a ski trip we took with four guys. Truck had no issue on hills with all of us, so I deemed it adequate to haul my family. The Hemi does flip the script to horsepower vs torque of the diesel.

Anybody that daily drives an HD pickup with a diesel should not be concerned about switching to a 1500. It is 2019. Back when I ordered my first '01 Duramax, 300hp/520tq was impressive. Hemi is what, 395/410 or something? Different delivery, but similar result.

I'll have another diesel, I'm sure. It's just in my blood. My first ride was an '85 740 Volvo turbo diesel, churning out 95 hp and a couple hundred tq's! Lol. But these 1500's are great trucks, and plenty capable.
I’m betting you’d agree that the HEMI sings a nice tune, too.

tysmith

Reaction score
Hemi does sound good. As I've gotten older, it seems the quieter the better. I've been driving my '01 Cummins lately at work. 313k miles, 4" exhaust, NV5600. It's sure been nice hopping into my new truck at the end of the day!

NordicNevs

Reaction score

I am struggling with being out of the diesel life. Had a while of heavy diesel use and modification, towing and RVing.

I saw the new rams but still am a Chevy guy. Had my Duramax trucks a for a whole. Then moved to a Cummins right as I sold the RV and 38’ car hauler so I moved to this

I am happy. They are sharp but it’s a hit to my “ego” more than anything else haha.

Granite5thgen

Reaction score
Hemi does sound good. As I've gotten older, it seems the quieter the better. I've been driving my '01 Cummins lately at work. 313k miles, 4" exhaust, NV5600. It's sure been nice hopping into my new truck at the end of the day!
I had an 04 with the nv5600, what an absolute monster of a truck.

Users who are viewing this thread