5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2012 ram limited cant get gas!

Roaddog359

Reaction score
So, for approximately the last year I have been having intermittent issues getting gas. Pump will constantly shut off. I only go to one gas station so I figures it was not calibrated or new epa nozzles ect. It would take me 20-30 min to fill my 33 gal tank. So I would just get what I could to get to work and back. Then finally the other day I try and it will not even let me get a click in as slow as I could go, and gas started to spill out the filler neck and onto me and my black paint. I left that station and finally decided to try another. Only to find the same issue!. So I do my research and find that this is a wrll known issue and I called the dealer. Yep they have had to fix a ton of them. The only fix is a NEW GAS TANK AT THE COST OF $1,000. They will not cover it and they say Ram will not do anything about it, even though it's a safety issue since gas spills out the filler neck and goes everywhere. Needless to say I am pissed because this issue had been going one while I was well under any warranty, but I blamed the gas station and not the Ram Truck! Should have know better. This is a fleet purchase and will probably be the last fleet purchase with Ram. I would like to hear some feed back from a Ram rep in the forum. Because this is a joke to charge me $1,000 for a known flap that sticks in the filler neck and you have to buy a whole new tank! Who knows if this new tank even salves the issue? How many times do I need to buy a new fuel tank during its life? Unless I unload it asap

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
You had the issue for a year and "assumed" what they would say/do to fix the concern. What are you really expecting at this point? 100% on you for making assumptions. How many miles on the truck?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
So, for approximately the last year I have been having intermittent issues getting gas. Pump will constantly shut off. I only go to one gas station so I figures it was not calibrated or new epa nozzles ect. It would take me 20-30 min to fill my 33 gal tank. So I would just get what I could to get to work and back. Then finally the other day I try and it will not even let me get a click in as slow as I could go, and gas started to spill out the filler neck and onto me and my black paint. I left that station and finally decided to try another. Only to find the same issue!. So I do my research and find that this is a wrll known issue and I called the dealer. Yep they have had to fix a ton of them. The only fix is a NEW GAS TANK AT THE COST OF $1,000. They will not cover it and they say Ram will not do anything about it, even though it's a safety issue since gas spills out the filler neck and goes everywhere. Needless to say I am pissed because this issue had been going one while I was well under any warranty, but I blamed the gas station and not the Ram Truck! Should have know better. This is a fleet purchase and will probably be the last fleet purchase with Ram. I would like to hear some feed back from a Ram rep in the forum. Because this is a joke to charge me $1,000 for a known flap that sticks in the filler neck and you have to buy a whole new tank! Who knows if this new tank even salves the issue? How many times do I need to buy a new fuel tank during its life? Unless I unload it asap
1 year to find out it's an issue at more then ONE gas pump?
Who owned your "2012 ram limited" for the other 10 years?
You expect to hear from someone that works from RAM browsing some random website with the name Ram in it?

Gas coming out and dripping down your truck? The pump is in charge of shutting itself off via an venturi effect so what you are saying only makes sense if you aren't even pumping gas into your tank as it can't physically pump gas into liquid (assuming your filler neck was clogged\filled up)

If it was a fleet purchase reach out to your rep. You aren't going to get anywhere here.

I have problems at some pumps, and I know they would replace the tank for free since i'm under warranty but I just live with it and don't complain about it anymore, that and a new tank sometimes doesn't even fix the problem as it's been seen.

Tint the nozzle 15 degrees to the right and hold down the trigger not as far and it will likely fill fine (a bit slower)

raygun9

Reaction score
I had the same issue in my 2012, it ended up being the filler neck which was also causing evap leaks.

The reason they swap the tank is when the vent valve sticks and doesnt release pressure causing the same issue.. the valve unit is part of the tank so the tsb says to swap the whole thing (ask me how I know)

A shop can preasure test the tank for little to nothing in cost.. if the valve releases pressure swapping the tank wont fix the issue unless they swap the neck at the same time.

Last edited:

Brutal_HO

The Mad Irishman
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
2012, or 2021?

Have you contacted @RamCares?

There's no "rep" here per se, just RamCares and they're on virtually any and every forum that has traffic.

Users who are viewing this thread