5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20" VS 22" Wheels

NimbusRam

Reaction score
The original tires on the 22" are not the greatest and have seen people struggling in the snow with those Goodyears, in other words, you will pay to upgrade to 22" then have to replace original tires to your liking.

I Have a a custom set and stocks, I replaced the original on the stocks.
Agreed, the stock Goodyears on the 22's are just plain crap in the snow.
I'd like to get better tires but don't want to replace these if I am going to switch to 20's and have to replace the rubber on those as well.

erandt26

Reaction score
Just bought the night edition with the 22's, live in MN, planning on downgrading to 20's and getting a bigger tire! trying to figure out now what will look right and not rub.

river rat

Reaction score
Just bought the night edition with the 22's, live in MN, planning on downgrading to 20's and getting a bigger tire! trying to figure out now what will look right and not rub.
Why not just get a bigger 22" tire?

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I remember reading that if you order the 22" as OEM you get a different stronger hub assembly and bearings. The 20" with larger tires is a smoother ride. Agree with all of the previous posts that the Goodyear stock tires on the 22" are junk. Mine lasted 18,000 miles before needing to go, then got Nitto's and next up probably the Falken Ziex05.

jimchi

Reaction score
I ordered my Limited with the 20" wheels. There are a few reasons:
  1. Comfort. I drive a lot for work, up to 8 hours a day. The extra sidewall is going to contribute to a slightly softer ride, even with the air suspension.
  2. Fuel economy. While economy certainly wasn't my highest priority, I get mileage reimbursements for work. Hence the eTorque and 3.21 gears. Smaller wheels have a smaller moment of inertia, which means that they have a positive - however small - contribution to fuel economy.
  3. Looks. Honestly I thought the 22" wheel available with the Limited was a bit much.
Hope this helps.

img_3028-1-jpeg.83327

JJRamTX

Ram Guru
Reaction score
honestly considering that right now, looking at tire options. Any suggestion on a size?

I upgraded to the 305/45/22 after the goodyears were shot. Only occasional rubbing at full lock in reverse in Normal height mode. No rubbing at all in OR1 or OR2. I could trim the plastic part that causes the rubbing noise but I have just been too lazy.

Buz

Ram Guru
Reaction score
275/60-20's will give you a little more sidewall and a little more width and looks 'right' if you're not going to lift it or only lift it an inch or two.
Your speedometer will need recalculation or just know you'll be going a little faster than what your speedo says. 73mph when speedo says 70mph.

Timeless

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Agree 20s have several advantages...however I believe the 22s look the best.

CPenn1086

Reaction score
I went from 22" to 20" and I am much happier. I guess it is a personal preference.

bwsRam19

Reaction score
I also went from 22 to 20 and went with 275/60/20 tires, it now looks like a truck in my opinion, or maybe I'm getting older. If I ever run into a good deal on some rebel wheels I probably will go to an 18 when I need tires again.

davidn0021

Reaction score
Same here, went from the 22 to 20 with bigger tires and am definitely happier after running stock 22s on my previous 2019 Limited.

jeeplj8

Reaction score
I have driven both, on essentially the same Limited trucks, and I could tell zero difference in ride on the 22's. It is an entirely cosmetic difference, which I like. The wheel opening are huge and the 22's fill them much nicer. The selection of tires for 22's is not as vast, but then again, there are plenty of options.

Lot's of guys with 22's have gone with larger tires as well, which looks even better on these trucks.

davidn0021

Reaction score
I have driven both, on essentially the same Limited trucks, and I could tell zero difference in ride on the 22's. It is an entirely cosmetic difference, which I like. The wheel opening are huge and the 22's fill them much nicer. The selection of tires for 22's is not as vast, but then again, there are plenty of options.

Lot's of guys with 22's have gone with larger tires as well, which looks even better on these trucks.

Just have to keep in mind when going with 22s and a larger tire the clearances you'll need to factor in. Most that do, tend to not keep their stock suspensions or add a lift and/or spacers to reduce risk of rubbing.

Users who are viewing this thread