5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20" VS 22" Wheels

bwsRam19

Reaction score
I have driven both, on essentially the same Limited trucks, and I could tell zero difference in ride on the 22's. It is an entirely cosmetic difference, which I like. The wheel opening are huge and the 22's fill them much nicer. The selection of tires for 22's is not as vast, but then again, there are plenty of options.

Lot's of guys with 22's have gone with larger tires as well, which looks even better on these trucks.
If you have smooth roads, you probably couldn't tell, I live in Oklahoma and the roads are garbage, no difference in how the overall diameter of the tire and wheel fill the wheel well, a 33 inch tall tire is 33 inches regardless if it is on an 18, 20, or 22 inch rim.

Hydroblueguy

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Preparing to order a 1500 Crew Cab 4wd & wondering, other than for looks, why people may prefer 20" or 22" wheels.
I’d stick with the 20” it appears to me that the larger sized tires have more issues, balance, wear, traction, etc... I wanted the sport and have no factory option but the 20” I’d prefer a high quality 18” IMO! Maybe the 20”-22” had a better ride? Good luck!

Scottygolf

Reaction score
I kept the Limited's OEM 22's but added the Nitto as the Goodyear's were useless in snow. I do wish there was a little more sidewall

Attachments

• truck.jpg
    truck.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 144

erandt26

Reaction score
Dropped down to 20's and increased the tire size on my '21, can't believe how much better the ride is with just changing the tire size!

RBJ

Reaction score
I have a 2021 RAM 1500 Longhorn limited edition model with 22” wheels which FCA recommends in the driver’s side inside door panel to inflate to 36psi.
Tires are Goodyear Eagle Touring 285/45R22XL BSW All–Season Tires. I do not use the truck off-road, for that I use a Jeep Rubicon.
The Longhorn has air suspension. The highway/around town ride is very smooth, in fact, it rides like a luxury car on the highway. No complaints on the handling or ride characteristics and the stance looks great.

river rat

Reaction score
Dropped down to 20's and increased the tire size on my '21, can't believe how much better the ride is with just changing the tire size!
You can also do a 33" tire on the 22" wheels and the results would be similar

bwsRam19

Reaction score
You can also do a 33" tire on the 22" wheels and the results would be similar
actually you would have to do a 35 inch tire on the 22 to be the same amount of tire as a 33 on a 20, also you won't find a 33 inch tall tire in a 22 that isn't a 10 ply as I researched that thoroughly before I went to a 20 inch wheel.

Last edited:

MOONCHASER

Reaction score
honestly considering that right now, looking at tire options. Any suggestion on a size?
I have the 22s on my 2018.....rougher ride & expensive tires. Ordered the 20s on our 2021 with air ride.

jeep12joe

Reaction score
I kept the Limited's OEM 22's but added the Nitto as the Goodyear's were useless in snow. I do wish there was a little more sidewall
Have you been happy with the snow performance of the Nitto's? I am strongly considering getting these.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
20’s are a bit lighter and less susceptible to getting scratched on curbs, but still look great.

Scottygolf

Reaction score
Have you been happy with the snow performance of the Nitto's? I am strongly considering getting these.
I had no issues, you throw in a little ice then it gets a tough but nothing on ice works. I only have 7k miles on the truck so not a lot of snow driving and they tires are new so pretty good. My only issue is they are not as aggressive looking as some of the others when it comes to the side wall. They seem more square where others have more rounded profile for the looks.

Users who are viewing this thread