5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20" to 18"

James066

Reaction score
I'm looking to switch wheels from stock 20" to 18" all while keeping the oem look. Anyone have any idea where and if the wheels in the photos could be purchased?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211230-001217_Firefox-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20211230-001217_Firefox-01.jpeg
    52.5 KB · Views: 72
  • Screenshot_20211230-001044_Firefox-01.jpeg
    Screenshot_20211230-001044_Firefox-01.jpeg
    37.9 KB · Views: 71

Scorch95

Reaction score
I'm looking to switch wheels from stock 20" to 18" all while keeping the oem look. Anyone have any idea where and if the wheels in the photos could be purchased?

These are the factory 20” wheels on the built to serve trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James066

Reaction score
These are the factory 20” wheels on the built to serve trucks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I just looked that up, had no idea about the built to serve edition. That's pretty cool of Ram to do something like that.

James066

Reaction score
I have found a set online that looks oem, however they are replica's so I'm not all that sure about the quality, I've been back and forth all day yesterday about just leaving the 20" wheels on and switching tires or getting a whole new set of everything.

Attachments

• 6924936-17167-thickbox.png
    6924936-17167-thickbox.png
    458.3 KB · Views: 20
Reaction score
If you've got the space its nice to have both. I've got stock 20s for highway, plus a set of 18" rebel take offs bought used on this forum for snow and off road. The 20s provide a harsh, fuel efficient but tight ride. The 18s are floaty, noisy, gas hogs, but awesome off road.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have found a set online that looks oem, however they are replica's so I'm not all that sure about the quality, I've been back and forth all day yesterday about just leaving the 20" wheels on and switching tires or getting a whole new set of everything.
I bought a set of Replica’s with winter tires, the winter rims are all black, they fit perfectly and you get to use the same lig nuts, many aftermarket rims require special nuts and wrench, if you want summer ones they will have the aluminum machined appearance like the Rebel wheels, I personally preferred the two tone look but my guess is that the clear coat finish on the machined aluminum part is not as durable the black paint.

Attachments

• 3847B81C-0052-4690-992D-BDDC11D01E87.jpeg
    3847B81C-0052-4690-992D-BDDC11D01E87.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 33

James066

Reaction score
I bought a set of Replica’s with winter tires, the winter rims are all black, they fit perfectly and you get to use the same lig nuts, many aftermarket rims require special nuts and wrench, if you want summer ones they will have the aluminum machined appearance like the Rebel wheels, I personally preferred the two tone look but my guess is that the clear coat finish on the machined aluminum part is not as durable the black paint.
Any concerns with durability/quality? They have a low load rating at like 2200lbs which isn't very high.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
If you've got the space its nice to have both. I've got stock 20s for highway, plus a set of 18" rebel take offs bought used on this forum for snow and off road. The 20s provide a harsh, fuel efficient but tight ride. The 18s are floaty, noisy, gas hogs, but awesome off road.
I have both too. Not so much for winter/summer use. I just didn't think I'd get very much for the stock wheels/tires so I kept them for when I eventually sell the truck. I found my Rebel take-offs on craigslist.
I don't think the Rebel wheels are "floaty" although the Duratracs do make a bit more noise than the stock HP tires. Don't take that to mean they're loud though, because they're pretty quiet for how aggressive they are.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Any concerns with durability/quality? They have a low load rating at like 2200lbs which isn't very high.
2200lbs X 4 = 8800lbs that’s plenty for a half ton truck. This is my second winter with them and and the black finish is still in perfect condition. I am very satisfied with them, good quality, they look the same as the OEM.
I have a set of Costco Gemini black/aluminum rims with winter tires on my wife’s Jeep Cherokee, this is the third Cherokee using the same set of rims, since 2014, the clear coat on the machined aluminum finish is wearing off and corrosion is setting in, I will try buffing them next summer then apply a clear coat, the black paint on the rims is still in really good shape.
Our winter in Northern Ontario Canada sometimes starts in November and sometimes last until the end of April.
I would suggest to get the all black rims like mine if you want them to last longer, but your winters are not as long so you might be ok with the black/aluminum rims.

James066

Reaction score
I think the biggest reason I'm thinking about doing this is because I'm planning on towing a trailer with a GVWR of 7495lbs. Now granted I would never have it loaded up to that weight. The GAWR is 4100lbs (rear) and the stock size tires that I want have a load rating of 2535lbs per tire. All of the math says the stock tires would handle it fine but I was always told to "save yourself the headach and tow with E rated tires". I suppose Ram wouldn't publish their tow rating and payload numbers with that size tire if it wasn't safe.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think the biggest reason I'm thinking about doing this is because I'm planning on towing a trailer with a GVWR of 7495lbs. Now granted I would never have it loaded up to that weight. The GAWR is 4100lbs (rear) and the stock size tires that I want have a load rating of 2535lbs per tire. All of the math says the stock tires would handle it fine but I was always told to "save yourself the headach and tow with E rated tires". I suppose Ram wouldn't publish their tow rating and payload numbers with that size tire if it wasn't safe.
The Rebels come with load range E, I did buy the winter tires with the same load range E.

P rated tires should not be used on gravel roads, specially if you load your truck or tow moderately heavy.

My previous 2011 Ram Outdoorsman came with Goodyear Wrangler All Terrain load range C (6 ply), after they wore out I had replaced them with the Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armour load range E (10 ply), those tires had the winter snowflake marking, they were so much better than the previous tires in the winter. I would definitely get a set of those tires instead of the Goodyear Duratrak that are on my Rebel, I don’t off-road often and don’t require such an aggressive tire tread pattern for gravel roads.

Some tires are available with the load range D (8 ply) but for some reason they’re not as popular and are readily available.

I was expecting a much rougher ride with the E rated tires, but all I do is inflate them to the tire pressure that’s on the door sill, when I load the truck bed heavily or tow heavy I add pressure to the tires, 80 psi is the maximum pressure, I usually put 65 psi, remember it’s a half ton truck, these tires are also intended for 3/4 or 1 ton trucks.

Their are so many different tires available but like you posted, going with the E rated tires you will lower the risk of tire failure.

Look for sale prices and read the reviews.

Good luck

Attachments

• E55A6737-CFFD-43A2-9E30-46F4FA846A7A.jpeg
    E55A6737-CFFD-43A2-9E30-46F4FA846A7A.jpeg
    163.4 KB · Views: 10

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
James, you are correct. If it's published they've done the research to assure it's safe. They're not going to risk a law suit by publishing unsafe values. That said, every vehicle is different and every driver's capability is different so not everyone should tow/haul the same just because the truck/tire/wheel is capable of it. The key is that the wheels and/or tires won't fail if you keep it in spec.

As for the trailer weight. Keep in mind that even if you fully load it to 7495 lbs, that's not all on the tongue, so that weight isn't all transferred to your tires. The trailer tires will share the load.

Shots

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I bought a set of Replica’s with winter tires, the winter rims are all black, they fit perfectly and you get to use the same lig nuts, ...
So who's the manufacturer for those replicas? They look just like OEM.

Rebelguy2020

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So who's the manufacturer for those replicas? They look just like OEM.
The manufacturer is Art, or DAI

The part number for all satin black is R16718002A (my winter rims)

The part number for the satin black with machined face like the OEM Rebel black/aluminum is R16718001A (the finish is not as durable for winter use because the machined face has a clear coat that will deteriorate sooner than the all black)

I purchased mine online from Pmctire.com in Toronto but if you google the part number you will find that they are available everywhere, specially if you live in USA.

The images are from 1010tires.com also from Toronto Canada.

Good luck

Let us know what you end up getting.

Attachments

• D86A6FE7-C5AA-47BE-A444-7FE939BABFBE.png
    D86A6FE7-C5AA-47BE-A444-7FE939BABFBE.png
    160 KB · Views: 13
  • 4948A8C1-7218-4697-B58A-D936BA47648D.png
    4948A8C1-7218-4697-B58A-D936BA47648D.png
    114 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread