5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 ram 1500 won’t pass NYS emissions inspection

Mikemac4

Reaction score
Brought my 20 ram 1500 in for NYS emissions inspection. First two year were safety only so this was first emissions test. Failed inspection because computer read it was not ready to test. Reset and drove 150 miles in 6 drive cycles. Returned for retest and failed again. Computer still not ready. Has anyone had an issue with this. Dealer was no help. Told me first appointment available was in late May.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
Weird, hopefully this is not a lingering issue. Maybe that shops NYS cpu was messed up and not the truck? Those things are notoriously trash.

Snekpete

Reaction score
I had a 2016 Mustang GT do that, very aggravating. You need to get a code reader. What is happening is the vehicle is throwing a code intermittently . It's not enough to trigger the CEL or MIL, but it happens often enough that the computer never gets to the ready state. Just check the codes every day, sooner or later you'll get catch the code(s) that is being thrown. On my GT it was an intermittent misfire. Good luck!

SD Rebel

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So soon?

Everyone talks about California's smog test, but you don't have to do it until the 8th year of ownership and after that it's every other year. Even then it's a simple 7 minute OBD connector test, not even on a dyno.

Plus zero safety inspections of any kind. The only safety inspections in the state is when you rebuilt a motorcycle to get it a salvage title, you have to have the CHP inspect and sign off the brakes work and it has tail lights, and only once.

Last edited:

Bigbags85

Reaction score
So soon?

Everyone talks about California's smog test, but you don't have to do it until the 8th year of ownership and after that it's every other year.

Plus zero safety inspections of any kind. The only safety inspections in the state is when you rebuilt a motorcycle to get it a salvage title, you have to have the CHP inspect and sign off the brakes work and it has tail lights, and only once.
Every year for us we have to get scanned by the cpu. If the car has a code of any kind that trips up the nys cpu it won't pass.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
Every year for us we have to get scanned by the cpu. If the car has a code of any kind that trips up the nys cpu it won't pass.

That sucks, what do they charge you for these mandatory test?

Any code besides emission? Even say TPMS, ABS, or other light too?

Mikemac4

Reaction score
It didn’t throw a code or engine light. Just comes up as not ready. I ordered my own scan tool so I can check it myself. Waiting on service manager from dealer I purchased it from to call me back. Women on phone told me first available appointment was end of May. I’m at 33000 miles now. I will be over 36000 by then and out of warranty.

SD Rebel

Reaction score
It didn’t throw a code or engine light. Just comes up as not ready. I ordered my own scan tool so I can check it myself. Waiting on service manager from dealer I purchased it from to call me back. Women on phone told me first available appointment was end of May. I’m at 33000 miles now. I will be over 36000 by then and out of warranty.

When not ready, it's usually because an error was reset or the battery was unplugged recently. You have to usually drive 80-100 miles after a OBDII error reset or the battery being disconnected for the emissions system to be ready for a test, so you should be good soon.

Driving a bit should get you ready, but most modern OBDII readers, even the cheap $15 ones connected to your phone's Bluetooth will have a setting to confirm if your emissions system is ready for a smog test. When you get your scan tool, you will be able to confirm if you are good to go.

Last edited:

Bigbags85

Reaction score

Just check engine light I think. TPMS def not and ABS I don't think counts either. The state I believe gets 6 bucks, most places charge 26.

Mikemac4

Reaction score
I’ve driven 150 miles. Still not ready. I’m researching what a drive cycle consists of. Some say you must let truck idle from cold start until engine reaches temperature. Then drive 55 mph for 5 miles. Then coast off to shoulder of hwy and let truck sit in gear with foot on brake for 2 minutes. Guess I’ll give that a try. Don’t think I’ve ever driven on hwy at 55mph for any distance. And yes. They charge $37 to inspect your vehicle.

Bigbags85

Reaction score
I’ve driven 150 miles. Still not ready. I’m researching what a drive cycle consists of. Some say you must let truck idle from cold start until engine reaches temperature. Then drive 55 mph for 5 miles. Then coast off to shoulder of hwy and let truck sit in gear with foot on brake for 2 minutes. Guess I’ll give that a try. Don’t think I’ve ever driven on hwy at 55mph for any distance. And yes. They charge $37 to inspect your vehicle.
Ouch 37 is robbery!

Mikemac4

Reaction score
$37 a year isn’t that bad. The $175 an hour the dealer wants to diagnose the problem. That’s robbery

Bigbags85

Reaction score
$37 a year isn’t that bad. The $175 an hour the dealer wants to diagnose the problem. That’s robbery
Yeah that's BS. I'm kinda nervous now, mine isn't due until December. I am hoping this is just a fluke. Haven't heard of any other issues of this nature out of anyone I know in NY that has a 5th Gen.

Bigbags85

Reaction score

I'm glad we don't have an actual smog test, my last car I had an O2 sensor simulator wire up because I took the cat off for headers lol.

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
$5 says its your battery dying and getting low voltage at start and clearing the readiness.

seems to be a recurring problem.

Mikemac4

Reaction score
$5 says its your battery dying and getting low voltage at start and clearing the readiness.

seems to be a recurring problem.
Two year old battery dying already???? I will check voltage in the morning before I start truck. Worth checking it out. Thanks.

Jako

Reaction score
Two year old battery dying already???? I will check voltage in the morning before I start truck. Worth checking it out. Thanks.
There is a thread on the battery. Many members have replaced the battery and it can do some weird things while testing good.

Mikemac4

Reaction score
Just tested battery. Reading 12.73 with truck off. Wife started truck. Meter flashed 10. Something

Mikemac4

Reaction score
Just tested battery. Reading 12.73 with truck off. Wife started truck. Meter flashed 10. Something …. So fast I couldn’t read the decimal. Then right to over 14. Truck was sitting for about 4 hours. I will test again on morning. What would be a bad reading??? Truck starts without hesitation

Users who are viewing this thread